Galway v Armagh

Started by bennydorano, February 22, 2007, 11:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holylandsniper

QuoteI would have thought that the second half would have been ideal for him, when we were trying to hold out, and what the hell is happening with Philip Loughran - I take it he's still on the panel?
Was there, but not togged out. Reason I don't no, next question will be if he comes back and plays were will he play, my bets in midfield. Best today i thought was vernon, finn moriarty, andy, young paudie mc creesh, stevie probaly. Thought Midfield was lost, also the plan of putting ball in early with wind would have worked probably with Clarke, but they were wasted today.
On the subs - Forker not good enough, and secondly why bring toner on for a few minutes
Although he didn't do too bad, felt Toal should have came off as he was close to getting red and therefore afraid to tackle, so bring him off. Bring Clarke, Oisin, Marsden, Geezer and probably Francie into that team and it will make some difference - some young players are good and will make it, good few are passengers.
Loughran – injured v St Marys played on when broken finger, now he's out with hairline fracture, maybe not but probably could have been prevented.

ONeill

I hope yis gave Stevie plenty of encouragement today and weren't saying bad things. You never know who's listening.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Armaghtothebone

[/quote]
I thought Keenan was doing alright, not championship standard though.  No harm to Forker but he just hasn't got it.  End of story.  Toal has to adapt to half forward, when Oisin comes back there will be no corner forward position for him, he's needed at half forward. 
[/quote]

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 25, 2007, 07:34:35 PM
Quote from: Louis the Red on February 25, 2007, 07:27:57 PM
Agree totally Rufus.  I think Joe should give Peadar a chance at corner forward.

I also feel that instead of taking Swift off today for Floppy, moving him to full forward and taking Keenan off might have been a better option.  Joe later took Keenan off and replaced him with Forker, Swift is by far a better ball winner, and that's what was needed at that time.

I thought Keenan was doing alright, not championship standard though.  No harm to Forker but he just hasn't got it.  End of story.  Toal has to adapt to half forward, when Oisin comes back there will be no corner forward position for him, he's needed at half forward. 

Pints,my delusional countyman, I have had the pleasure of watching Armagh since before you were in nappies.Trust me, young Forker will be as good a forward as Armagh have ever had.
He was a minor last year(2006).
What do the following have in common?
Marsden
McDonnell
McConville
McKeever
John Mac
Apart from the fact that they were 5 of the starting 6 forwards in the All Ireland Final of 2002 none of them were good enough to play senior football the year after they were minors.
Forker is big,strong,brave,quick,two footed and 18
Give the lad a few years
HE HAS THE MAKINGS OF ANOTHER RONAN CLARKE. 

Orior

Quote from: ONeill on February 25, 2007, 10:53:25 PM
I hope yis gave Stevie plenty of encouragement today and weren't saying bad things. You never know who's listening.

No worries O'Neill. I've arranged with the GAABoard to have an ACF installed. Thats an Armagh Criticism Firewall to you and me.  
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Goats Do Shave

Galway were terrible the 1st half...they lost they missed a lot of chances. The score at half time flattered Armagh a little.
2nd half Galway were a totally different team. The number 10 (Coleman??) was the star man today. He won 3 or 4 clean ball round the middle & roasted young McCleelland IMO.

As said already Andy Mallon & Finn Mo were excellent. Enda had Joyce in back pocket 1st half...2nd was vice versa I think!

Charlie was very assure on the ball today. IMO a better option at Centre back than McKeever, as his distribution is better. McKeever had a solid game today though!

I agree Peader seemed scared to be sent off after a yellow card & a tick, however he worked his socks off & can't be criticised for coming deep; he was following his man!!!
I think James Lavery needs to be in midfield. He needs to be running onto the kickouts (rather than under them) looks a decent prospect though.

Nippy looked strong when running with the ball & scored a great point. Doesn't win enough ball though.

I thought young O'Rourke was harshly taken off before half time. He was battling well, & a better future prospect than Forker I think!

Marty O'Rourke was his usual self. Fought well, won a lot of ball round the middle. Lost out (like most of his team mates) in the 2nd half!

Paddy McKeever did well coming on. He never loses the ball & showed courage going in for a 50 / 50 ball with the keeper, chipping it onto the post & get clattered! Definate C'ship starter!

Thought Keenan provided a threat today. Showed a good understanding with Stevie(who was excellent also) & took a fine score from the touch line at the start! Faded in the 2nd half hough!

Referee seemed to lose it when the Galway support woke up in the 2nd half. He ticked or booked almost every Armagh tackle in the 2nd half. For similar tackles made by galway men, the same punishment was not applied. Also when any Armagh men disputed a decison, 10 yards was given to the free taker(& rightly so..)...however when some of the Galway men disputed a decision (a lot more forcefully!!!) there was no pnishment!

Best team won! - very cold in Salthill!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on February 25, 2007, 11:06:14 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 25, 2007, 07:34:35 PM
Quote from: Louis the Red on February 25, 2007, 07:27:57 PM
Agree totally Rufus.  I think Joe should give Peadar a chance at corner forward.

I also feel that instead of taking Swift off today for Floppy, moving him to full forward and taking Keenan off might have been a better option.  Joe later took Keenan off and replaced him with Forker, Swift is by far a better ball winner, and that's what was needed at that time.

Pints,my delusional countyman, I have had the pleasure of watching Armagh since before you were in nappies.Trust me, young Forker will be as good a forward as Armagh have ever had.
He was a minor last year(2006).
What do the following have in common?
Marsden
McDonnell
McConville
McKeever
John Mac
Apart from the fact that they were 5 of the starting 6 forwards in the All Ireland Final of 2002 none of them were good enough to play senior football the year after they were minors.
Forker is big,strong,brave,quick,two footed and 18
Give the lad a few years
HE HAS THE MAKINGS OF ANOTHER RONAN CLARKE. 

:D Good for you.
I think you're wrong about mcconville and Marsden, but to be honest I can't argue.  Anyhow on Forker we'll see how he goes but at the minute he's not up to the standard. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Goats Do Shave

Didn't realise Stefan was 18 - hopefully will come good allright! - still shouldn't be on the team YET!

What age is PAUL forker then?

Uladh

Marsden played senior championship the same year he was minor and oisin was also on the senior squad his first year out of minor.

stefan, as good a prospect as the lad is at club level, should not be on the senior squad.

harlechman

thought young tony mcClelland had a good game, hardly put a foot wrong

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: harlechman on February 26, 2007, 12:50:18 PM
You serious?? He got roasted in the 2nd half by the Galway number 10.

Uladh

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on February 26, 2007, 01:21:18 PM
Quote from: harlechman on February 26, 2007, 12:50:18 PM
You serious?? He got roasted in the 2nd half by the Galway number 10.

Jaysus, McClelland had a mare. he's just too one paced for county level i feel and his distribution is poor.

brokencrossbar1

I haven't seen any of the new lads on the squad.  On performances so far do any of them have the cut to make it in the championship?

mouview

From a Galway perspective it wasn't a classic but was a necessary win nonetheless. The strong breeze was always going to make it a game of 2 halves and Armagh beat themselves when they didn't rack up more scores in the opener. Stevie in particular dropped a few short. At the other end poor finishing and a bit of bad luck kept Galway scoreless in the first half, though no amount of adverse breeze could disguise the lack of ball winning ability in the Galway forward line. In the 2nd half, once PJ got going Galway built up momentum and the introduction of Niall Coleman for the eternally-hamstrung Sean Armstrong just before half-time gave the winners a big boost after the break. Best for the home side were goalie Doherty who has yet to concede a goal in this league (though kick-outs could improve). Full-back line were generally ok though a bit loose in the 1st half, half-back line again good with Blake very strong, Comer undoes some good work with slack passing. Midfield were middling in the first half, not tracking back and Bergin's decision making on the ball was terrible, though he turned it around in the 2nd half in fairness. The half-forward line were so-so; Ja is still struggling to find his feet again, Sean Armstrong showed well until injured, while wing-forward didn't suit Savo. In the full, PJ was rusty but still has class in abundance, Nicky was good on the ball but his lack of bottle and courage mean he will be eaten in the c'ship, Cormac Bane was useless and why Ford left him there for the whole match is a mystery. The moderately sized Savo was replaced by the even smaller Frankie Burke who hadn't a look-in against Andy Mallon - why Ford didn't give a chance to a few of the bigger subs is another mystery as Galway were physically very light up front; as stated Niall Coleman made a big difference. Unless the tribesmen get some ball-winners in the forwards like M Meehan (soon) and Paul Clancy (doubtful) they're going to have a very short year.

Farrandeelin

Where on Earth have all the other Galway posters gone?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.