LAB
SF
Others
Greens
Not going to Vote

mylestheslasher

Quote from: seafoid on January 25, 2011, 03:19:05 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 25, 2011, 01:16:57 PM
Gerry Adams needs to stay away from the TV shows or he'll make a balls of this election for SF like he did in the last one. He doesn't have a grasp at all of the economics and the media will go to town on him if he keeps this up.
Name one TD that has a grasp of the economics.
The bailout is a joke. The IMF say so.

Colm "Snip" McCarthy on irisheconomy.ie

Attached are the four conclusions of the IMF's Financial Stability Update just released, in so far as they concern the Eurozone, with my comments:

'In the European Union, the steps listed below are needed to reduce uncertainty and help restore confidence in markets.

Further rigorous and credible bank stress testing is required along with time-bound follow-up plans for recapitalization and restructuring of viable, undercapitalized institutions and closure of nonviable ones.'
Comment: The IMF is suggesting new stress tests and 'follow-up' recapitalisation and re-structuring of banks. In that order, not in the reverse order.

'The effective size of the European Financial Stability Facility should be increased and it should have a more flexible mandate. For countries where the banking system represents a large proportion of the economy, it is now even more essential to ensure access to sufficient funds, going beyond national backstops whenever necessary.'
Comment: Means the EFSF is inadequate in size and function, particularly for countries with large banking systems, such as Ireland.

'Euro area-wide resolution mechanisms need to be deployed and strengthened as needed. The introduction of a pan-European bank resolution framework with an EU-wide fiscal backstop would help decouple sovereign and banking risks.'
Comment: Means the IMF wants to share bank losses with bank creditors and re-capitalise banks with EU-wide, and not just national, fiscal support.

'The European Central Bank will need to continue to supply liquidity to banks that need it and keep its Securities Markets Program active, while also recognizing that this is a temporary set of measures and will not solve the underlying problems.'

Comment: Means that ECB has been overly restrictive on both counts.

Yes but the problem is that the politicians that know very little about economics are showing Adams up as knowing less. Adams skirts across the surface with general waffle but ask him to go a little deeper and he is easily found out. I know they need to build his profile a bit to make sure he succeeds in Louth but for me O Caolain and Doherty are much better guys on finance and southern politics in general. I assume O Caolain doesn't get rolled out as he is a deemed a cert in Cavan/Monaghan so he needs no promotion? Most of us agree that the Southern media do not want SF to make progress and if Adams gives them any rope they'll hang him high.

mylestheslasher

As I predicted above it has already started. Pearse Doherty on prime time got attacked from all sides (Richard Bruton FG, Michael McGrath FF, Pat Rabbitte Labour and Miriam O Callaghan RTE) about what Adams was saying on morning ireland. Adams is a serious liability in southern politics for SF and could totally f**k up the gains which are there on a plate for them.

Maguire01

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 25, 2011, 10:21:54 PM
As I predicted above it has already started. Pearse Doherty on prime time got attacked from all sides (Richard Bruton FG, Michael McGrath FF, Pat Rabbitte Labour and Miriam O Callaghan RTE) about what Adams was saying on morning ireland. Adams is a serious liability in southern politics for SF and could totally f**k up the gains which are there on a plate for them.
Is nobody in the party able to say it to him?

Orangemac

Gerry Adams needs to stay away from the TV shows or he'll make a balls of this election for SF like he did in the last one. He doesn't have a grasp at all of the economics and the media will go to town on him if he keeps this up.
Speaking of which, the elephant in the room for Fine Gael is how are they going to get round the problem of Enda in the leaders debates on tv.

He can't hide from that. Even if he could be brought up to speed to a competent level on issues, his voice is just desperate, he can't finish a sentence without wavering.

If he couldn't look good against Bertie, Fine Gael should be afraid.

Maguire01

Quote from: Orangemac on January 25, 2011, 10:37:24 PM
Speaking of which, the elephant in the room for Fine Gael is how are they going to get round the problem of Enda in the leaders debates on tv.

He can't hide from that. Even if he could be brought up to speed to a competent level on issues, his voice is just desperate, he can't finish a sentence without wavering.

If he couldn't look good against Bertie, Fine Gael should be afraid.
Any announcement on when the debates are likely to be? How many are there?

Orangemac

[/quote]
There's talk of 3. RTE, TV3 and Sky have been mentioned.

TV3 should be good crack if Vincenzo Browne is ringmaster. Goes completely off beam sometimes but is a real wind up merchant.

There will probably be 3 involved this time.If SF could get Doherty on ,it would be a big boost for them

muppet

Quote from: Orangemac on January 25, 2011, 10:58:06 PM
There's talk of 3. RTE, TV3 and Sky have been mentioned.

TV3 should be good crack if Vincenzo Browne is ringmaster. Goes completely off beam sometimes but is a real wind up merchant.

There will probably be 3 involved this time.If SF could get Doherty on ,it would be a big boost for them
[/quote]

Mac it is supposed to be a leaders debate, surrogates will hardly be allowed.
MWWSI 2017

Ulick

I thought Doherty did well considering the four of them lined up against him. The others were all singing from the same vested interest hymn sheet. SF are the only Party proposing an alternative. As Jude Collins said the other day, there's "not a postmans piss" between the three main Parties. - but that doesn't make them right.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Banana Man

Miriam o'callaghan is so anti sinn fein it's unreal, wasn't she at the stoop conference to honour john hume, she is totally biased and doesn't know the definition of impartiality, she needs roaded.

Hardy

Oh FFS! This is going beyond farce. Every second post here is either a whinge about perceived media bias against Sinn Féin or a hymn to the pure whiteness of the party, its leader and its policy of seeing old ladies safely across the road. Even mayogodbetweenusandallharm doesn't come on here to whinge EVERY time Kenny is asked a question on the TV.

Welcome to mainstream politics. Miriam O'Cacklinghen and every other Paxman wannabee concentrates of the perceived weaknesses of the politician they're interviewing. So, in all honesty, I think the SF lads have been getting away fairly lightly, when you think of the questions that haven't even arisen in the studios (yet).

If you want to see media bias in action, take a look at the free ride the Greens get from RTÉ and the D4 hacks - for example the portrayal of Trevor Sargent's attempt to interfere with garda investigations as some kind of ideal of political behaviour to which others should aspire, or the gentle indulgence of their political slapstick show for the last three years. 

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Hardy on January 26, 2011, 10:42:42 AM
Oh FFS! This is going beyond farce. Every second post here is either a whinge about perceived media bias against Sinn Féin or a hymn to the pure whiteness of the party, its leader and its policy of seeing old ladies safely across the road. Even mayogodbetweenusandallharm doesn't come on here to whinge EVERY time Kenny is asked a question on the TV.

Welcome to mainstream politics. Miriam O'Cacklinghen and every other Paxman wannabee concentrates of the perceived weaknesses of the politician they're interviewing. So, in all honesty, I think the SF lads have been getting away fairly lightly, when you think of the questions that haven't even arisen in the studios (yet).

If you want to see media bias in action, take a look at the free ride the Greens get from RTÉ and the D4 hacks - for example the portrayal of Trevor Sargent's attempt to interfere with garda investigations as some kind of ideal of political behaviour to which others should aspire, or the gentle indulgence of their political slapstick show for the last three years.

Miriam is quite impartial imo, she is a Fianna Fáil supporter (or was). I don't complain about her because she tends to treat all patries the same in her interviews. She roasted Kenny the last time he was on her show, but they where genuine questions not spite like Tubridy. Another perspon who I think is fair is Pat Kenny, people may or may not like his style but he tends to be fair to all parties (another F.F.) as far as I can tell. On to Newstalk, you have Ivan Yeats, ex-FG minister, he is very fair and probably holds his harshest criticism for F.G. You have the two WUM/entertainers, George Hook on Newstalk and Vincent Browne on TV3. George is a raving Blueshirt, but admits it and always makes sure its is known so that his questions are tempered by the audience and interviewee knowing its context (there is no Tubridy - deny deny deny, or snakelike D'Arcy or have a laugh but really wish I could get in a good word about F.F. Brendan O'Connor), he may be a bit harsher on S.F. but he is quite harsh on F.G. when he is not actually just recalling Micheal Collins. Vincent Browne is a real WUM, he usually keeps his harshest criticism of F.G. but thank the Lord for Joan Burton. Tubridy is the person all non-Soldiers of Destiny should avoid.

It tends to be Tubridy, D'Arcy and O'Connor that get my annoyed as they are all F.F.-Sindo-R.T.E. pricks, of course there is Eoin Harris and that Yank woman in the Sindo.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Ulick

Quote from: Hardy on January 26, 2011, 10:42:42 AM
Even mayogodbetweenusandallharm doesn't come on here to whinge EVERY time Kenny is asked a question on the TV.

Well considering  Kenny hasn't been seen on tv or anywhere else for weeks, never mind being asked a question...

Hardy

Canalman

No need for Kenny to be on the box the last few weeks. Why should he when FF is imploding in front of everyone.

Massive trite lazyisms being parrotted on this thread (and to be fair elsewhere) such as for example:

1 Enda Kenny being a liability.................. Imo he hasn't done too bad since the 2002 election FG wipeout. Taoiseach in waiting.
2 Gerry Adams being poor economically..................... Being spouted by the same economic "experts" who have driven the country into the gutter.

Make up your own minds lasds/ladies.

BTW if you want a laugh enter Jeremy Paxman and Plaid Cymru spokesman into Youtube to see JP getting his a## being handed to him.