CROKE PARK MASSACRE 90TH ANNIVERSARY

Started by funtime frankie, November 19, 2010, 04:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funtime frankie

Just to remind everybody that this Sunday is the 90th anniversary of Bloody Sunday when British terrorists smashed their way into Croke Park and murdered spectators and Michael Hogan.

It would be appropriate to recall their memory with a minute's silence on Sunday at any GAA events and their murders are made all the more poignant when one considers the way in which their sacrifice has been insulted and demeaned by thedisgusting behaviour of those who hold the levers of power. The little freedom we have attained has been frittered away.

Before the west brit brigade start jumping up and down about ranking up the past and victimhood and let sleeping dogs lie and whatever revionist tripe they spout, it is a worthy and a decent thing to recall the memory of these innocent victims of terrorists.

They went to Croke Park to simply watch a match and cheer on their team and they were cut down by British gunmen who didn't, don't and never ever will have a right to be in this country.

Let's hope that their sacrifice wasn't in vain but I fear that it was.   

SHEEDY

this is a part of our history that should be marked every year. croke park should be holding some sort of commeration.
nil satis nisi optimum

mannix

AND now that Tipp have a middling team they could have a game against the dubs again to commemorate it.

Mike Sheehy

Yes, it should be commerated but we can do without aresholes like you (funtime Frankie) lecturing us. If you want something commerated you don't go about it with the  "do it or else you are a west brit" attitude that republican-fascists like you employ.

funtime frankie

Mike, I fail to see how I lectured anybody and I merely said that it would be a decent thing to do to commemorate the memory of those people who were murdered.

If you care to read my post you will see that there isn't even a hint of 'do it or else' and I do resent the facist label.

If suggesting that we should remember those poor people makes me an arsehole in your eyes then that is a title I will be happy to bear.

Clearly, I have upset you but I fail to see how such an innocuous message could cause you to insult me. What was it that annoyed you to launch such a tirade?

Might I invite to sit down with an open mind and re-read my initial message and kindly point out where I said, 'do or else you are a brit,' or where I lectured anybody.

It is fairly disgusting that you could find offence in my SUGGESTION that these people be remembered at GAA events on Sunday. The fact that you are annoyed by such a notion really does say a lot about how sad and twisted you are.

Its very unfortunate that you cannot even surpress your anti-republican rants when discussing such a seminal event in our history. It really is very sad to think that somebody would get upset by the suggestion that those who were murdered in Croke Park should be remembered and your reaction shows you up for what you are.

Rossfan

This should be remembered every year.
Nothing to do wit hpolitics or the like just remember an awful event that we hope never to see again.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: funtime frankie on November 19, 2010, 08:51:00 PM
Mike, I fail to see how I lectured anybody and I merely said that it would be a decent thing to do to commemorate the memory of those people who were murdered.

If you care to read my post you will see that there isn't even a hint of 'do it or else' and I do resent the facist label.

If suggesting that we should remember those poor people makes me an arsehole in your eyes then that is a title I will be happy to bear.

Clearly, I have upset you but I fail to see how such an innocuous message could cause you to insult me. What was it that annoyed you to launch such a tirade?

Might I invite to sit down with an open mind and re-read my initial message and kindly point out where I said, 'do or else you are a brit,' or where I lectured anybody.

It is fairly disgusting that you could find offence in my SUGGESTION that these people be remembered at GAA events on Sunday. The fact that you are annoyed by such a notion really does say a lot about how sad and twisted you are.

Its very unfortunate that you cannot even surpress your anti-republican rants when discussing such a seminal event in our history. It really is very sad to think that somebody would get upset by the suggestion that those who were murdered in Croke Park should be remembered and your reaction shows you up for what you are.

I will not allow myself to be lectured to on Irish nationalism by a brit....

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on November 20, 2010, 03:10:47 AM
Quote from: funtime frankie on November 19, 2010, 08:51:00 PM

I will not allow myself to be lectured to on Irish nationalism by a brit....
This time next week you'll probably be a half Brit half German yourself  :D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Zapatista

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 19, 2010, 04:44:08 PM
this is a part of our history that should be marked every year. croke park should be holding some sort of commeration.

As long as it is documented well and remembered as a part of the history of the GAA then that's fine by me. I don't think it needs to be marked out every year, it was a long time ago.

ross matt

Quote from: Zapatista on November 20, 2010, 09:53:57 AM
Quote from: SHEEDY on November 19, 2010, 04:44:08 PM

As long as it is documented well and remembered as a part of the history of the GAA then that's fine by me. I don't think it needs to be marked out every year, it was a long time ago.

I agree Zapatista not every year but in fairness the 90th anniversary deserves to be marked. Rather than a state ceremony it should be a GAA one. It was murder of members of the organisation on it's most sacred ground after all. It should'nt be used as a political sledgehammer to label people west brit or brit etc. But neither should the GAA avoid marking it for fear of causing some sort of political offence either. Like Zapatista said it was a long time ago. We have huge immediate challenges facing us now as a nation. This could be handled with a bit of quiet dignity and then move on to tackle the current issues.

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on November 19, 2010, 06:23:00 PM
Yes, it should be commerated but we can do without aresholes like you (funtime Frankie) lecturing us. If you want something commerated you don't go about it with the  "do it or else you are a west brit" attitude that republican-fascists like you employ.

oxymoronic

funtime frankie

Mike, I note that you failed to answer any of my questions and furthermore you will note that I was lecturing anybody on nationalism, republicanism or any ism. In fact I wasn't lecturing anybody on anything. Again, I will invite you to read the initial post and point out where I was lecturing.

It really is a shame that you feel the necessity to turn this event into a political football - pardon the pun. As I pointed out, it says more about the sad and twisted individual you are.

As for the brit remark - if you going to insult me at least make it funny.

Zapatista

Quote from: ross matt on November 20, 2010, 11:18:55 AM

I agree Zapatista not every year but in fairness the 90th anniversary deserves to be marked. Rather than a state ceremony it should be a GAA one. It was murder of members of the organisation on it's most sacred ground after all. It should'nt be used as a political sledgehammer to label people west brit or brit etc. But neither should the GAA avoid marking it for fear of causing some sort of political offence either. Like Zapatista said it was a long time ago. We have huge immediate challenges facing us now as a nation. This could be handled with a bit of quiet dignity and then move on to tackle the current issues.

You're right. The Dublin and Monaghan bombings should be a priority for the State to address.

Onlooker

The 90th Anniversary of Bloody Sunday is being comemorated by Tipperary GAA Board in Grangemockler tomorrow morning (Sunday 21st November), when a wreath will be laid at the grave of Michael Hogan in the local graveyard.  I am sure that the GAA could be doing a lot more at national level, but the anniversary is never forgotten or overlooked in Tipperary.

Maguire01

This event is marked permanently in the Hogan Stand in Croke Park. It's part of the fabric of the GAA. I don't think it needs any big commemorations on anniversaries to show that it is remembered.