Minor Finals on TV3 - Demotion for the Irish Language

Started by An Cloch Scoilte, November 18, 2010, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Cloch Scoilte

With the announcement of the GAA's new TV deals, the moving of the Minor finals to TV3 as stand alone fixtures is surely a demotion for the Minor players themselves, as well as the Irish Language. The Minor deciders delivered in the beautiful commentary of Micheál Ó Sé have become part and parcel of All-Ireland final day.

This is the second such demotion in the last number of years for the Minors, with winning Captains not being afforded the chance to deliver a winning captains speech.

Martin Breheny has added fuel to the fire with his views on the Minor showpieces being commentated upon as Gaeilge.

TV3 must break language barrier

By Martin Breheny

Wednesday November 17 2010

Effectively, the GAA are encouraging TV3 to continue with RTE's policy of disenfranchising the majority of people who, for reasons linked with the appalling way Irish has been taught (the fault is with the system, not the teachers), don't understand the language.

I was savaged by some irate readers a few weeks back for suggesting it was wrong to have the International Rules games on TG4 because of the Irish commentary, but here it goes again: it's equally wrong to have the minor finals broadcast in Irish.

It's the height of arrogance to impose the will of the minority on the majority under the spurious pretext of promoting the Irish language. Yes, Irish is our native tongue. It's also a beautiful language which has been betrayed by a stupid approach to fostering it. The figures don't lie and if the majority of people still have little knowledge of Irish, the system of teaching it must be wrong.

Broadcasting the All-Ireland minor finals in Irish doesn't do anything to promote the language, but it does a lot to annoy people who want to enjoy the games with a commentary they understand.

TV3 have a glorious opportunity to end the nonsense and, in the process, multiply their audience figures. My guess is that they'll take it.

- Martin Breheny

Irish Independent

Rossfan

Reilly's rag will keep Breheny on anyway with anti Irish stuff like that spouting out of him.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

In what way is it anti-Irish?  (I can't believe I'm defending martin Breheny.)

Rossfan

So let's get rid of all that oul Irishness ...language, music, dancing and them silly oul games that no one else plays ..Bogball and stickball.
Let's be proper 21st Century Brits.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Disillusioned on November 18, 2010, 08:30:36 PM
About time the minor finals have a commentary which most people can understand.  Irish commentary by RTE is all part of the tokenism which so many feed on as their idea of nationalism.  The top selling papers in the country are the Star and The Sun, the English Premiership in the form of the RTE and BBC MoTD are the most popular games watched in Ireland.  Welcome to Ireland in the 21st century.

Not sure about that.

5 Sams

About time the minor finals have a commentary which most people can understand.  Irish commentary by RTE is all part of the tokenism which so many feed on as their idea of nationalism.  The top selling papers in the country are the Star and The Sun, the English Premiership in the form of the RTE and BBC MoTD are the most popular games watched in Ireland.  Welcome to Ireland in the 21st century.

I'd safely say that the vast majority of the people on this board would not let the Sun or the Star dirty their hands, they would watch an Under 12 league game before they would sit in and watch MOTD or whatever...and they are all well aware of what Ireland is like in the 21st century.....as for tokenism...come down to Bunscoil an Iuir at lunchtime and listen to the 40 or 50 paisti engaging in "tokenism" when they are out playing.... add to that the fact that I have NEVER heard anyone on this board giving out about the Irish language commentary for the minor final....if anything Micheal O Se is widely praised.....so away you go and find someone who wants to listen to that shite you're spoutin cos you havent got an audience here ye boy ye.
The Aristocrat Years

Donnellys Hollow

Brian Tyers and Mícheál Ó Sé are the best GAA commentators on the box. I'd happily listen to their blas over Ger and Marty.

Mícheál Ó Sé is probably one of the only comentators worth listening to because he's actually played the game to a high level.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2010, 09:19:24 PM
So let's get rid of all that oul Irishness ...language, music, dancing and them silly oul games that no one else plays ..Bogball and stickball.
Let's be proper 21st Century Brits.

Agreed the Gaa top brass getting rid of another tradition what next?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

DuffleKing

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 18, 2010, 10:47:10 PM

I'd safely say that the vast majority of the people on this board would not let the Sun or the Star dirty their hands, they would watch an Under 12 league game before they would sit in and watch MOTD or whatever...and they are all well aware of what Ireland is like in the 21st century.....as for tokenism...come down to Bunscoil an Iuir at lunchtime and listen to the 40 or 50 paisti engaging in "tokenism" when they are out playing.... add to that the fact that I have NEVER heard anyone on this board giving out about the Irish language commentary for the minor final....if anything Micheal O Se is widely praised.....so away you go and find someone who wants to listen to that shite you're spoutin cos you havent got an audience here ye boy ye.

You haven't been listening so

Sandy Hill

I have a very limited ability as far as the oul teanga is concerned and so the pragmatist in me would welcome the commentary in English; am I no longer a real Irishman?
"Stercus accidit"

nrico2006

Agreed.  The majority of people would rather listen to the commentary in a format which they could understand.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rois

How about a "press the red button to hear it in Irish" option? 

passedit

Quote from: Rois on November 19, 2010, 12:27:48 PM

What button do we press to see it in De Nort?
Don't Panic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: passedit on November 19, 2010, 12:30:46 PM

The "Bleck" button!

Rois

Quote from: passedit on November 19, 2010, 12:30:46 PM

Hmmmm, true.  I'd have to go to another house to watch it and then it's just in analogue.