Gerry's moving south...

Started by Maguire01, November 14, 2010, 12:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 14, 2010, 08:00:13 PM
Adams seems to have lost the plot.

1- What about the boys on the ground in Louth that are doing the work, he is going to put someone or a group of people out by doing this
2- Is he seriously going to go door to door after allowing his paedo brother to get involved with SF in the same county
3- Is he seriously going to tell the people of Louth in the middle of a recession that he will be able to represent them from Belfast while he also tells the people of West Belfast he will do the same for them
4- People want to know about the economic proposals of SF, Adams has shown on a number of occassions that he is not in touch with the Southern people on this matter.

It is possible that he will lose SF this seat and trash his own image at the same time.

And the current incumbents have excelled themselves i must say!

I feel this move has been on the cards for sometime, one thing for sure is that Sinn Fein need a new kickstart in the south although they are not dead ducks like some commentators like to portray. Their rise just stagnated (due maybe to not enough manpower on the ground to cover their electoral ambitions) somewhat along side continued growth in the 6 counties.   

It's obvious on here that the SDLP supporters are just as bitter as their leaders to Sinn Feins position at the moment. Let it go for gawd's sake, why dont they bite the bullet and try to work closely with them? even locally here in Armagh they do deals with the Unionist parties to stop Sinn Fein motions at most council sessions.

Shamrock Shore

You know, the way things are, the hoor could top the poll.

Canalman

Quote from: Zapatista on November 15, 2010, 12:29:51 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on November 15, 2010, 10:52:07 AM
Though at the end of the conversation, he seemingly ruled out the possibility of going into coalition with FG, and imo with the next breath he put out a feeler to FF.

I'd say Enda Kenny would really get the chop if he suggested it. There's no way it would work. Can't see it. A Government with FF and SF :o now that would be a balls. I don't think SF can seriously talk about any form of Government without Labour. Anything else would just wipe them out like the Greens and the PDs.

Quote from: Canalman on November 15, 2010, 10:56:44 AM
Not a certainty imo that he will win a seat. The "blow in" monicker is a very hard obstacle  to overcome in Irish politics........ particularly down south.

Relly? There are loads of successful blowins. Joe Higgans, Eamon Gilmore, Conor Lenihan, Richard Bruton, Mary McAleese etc

All (bar McAleese) elected in Dublin constituencies. As far as I know the amount of "blow ins" to win rural seats are few and far between. DeValera (Sheila) in Clare springs to mind.

Should really have clarified in my original post that Dublin was the exception and even then confined mainly to the "newer" less established suburban areas of the county.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Zapatista on November 15, 2010, 12:29:51 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on November 15, 2010, 10:52:07 AM
Though at the end of the conversation, he seemingly ruled out the possibility of going into coalition with FG, and imo with the next breath he put out a feeler to FF.

I'd say Enda Kenny would really get the chop if he suggested it. There's no way it would work. Can't see it. A Government with FF and SF :o now that would be a balls. I don't think SF can seriously talk about any form of Government without Labour. Anything else would just wipe them out like the Greens and the PDs.

So what is their goal then?  A party of opposition only?  I can't see a government without either FG or FF. 
Labour could take 30 seats, SF could take 10, they're never going to be able to go it alone anyway.  It probably won't matter as it's hard to see FG and Labour not being able and willing to form a coalition themselves.

lynchbhoy

...didnt austin currie get elected and he was a supreme blow in !!

on sf's economical proposals - read sunday weeks paper and they outlined over 4 billion's worh of cuts straght away and most of these were in the Gov/TD ranks and higher echelons of civil service.
sf dont want to make cuts that affect the lower paid or welfare classes.
I'd not be in agreement with all of that but it was a very decent proposal.
certainly more than fg have ever proposed and labours last efforts have been like the train tracks to Navan...starts well but just stops in the middle of nowhere.
as for FF's economic policies- well we see what they have brought us !

anyhow enough of praising sf and adams.
in short I dont think adams is the man to lead a modern sf. Conor murphy should be sent over the border into the louth constituency imo and take up the role as sf head man. mary lou, just doesnt do it , I still think Donegal man pearse has not done anything to prove himself as yet- while murphy has distinguished himself in debate and work this past number of years - imo.

that said my expectation levels are low for all politicians.

the wum's on here are just people that obv hate adams or sf. I dont particularly like adams that much but the petty childish jibes at him speak more about the posters than the ineffective Gerry (he was effective once , but those days and talks are long over).

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 15, 2010, 05:57:52 PM
in short I dont think adams is the man to lead a modern sf. Conor murphy should be sent over the border into the louth constituency imo and take up the role as sf head man. mary lou, just doesnt do it , I still think Donegal man pearse has not done anything to prove himself as yet- while murphy has distinguished himself in debate and work this past number of years - imo.

the wum's on here are just people that obv hate adams or sf. I dont particularly like adams that much but the petty childish jibes at him speak more about the posters than the ineffective Gerry (he was effective once , but those days and talks are long over).
To be honest, I think they need to get someone from the south to be a credible leader in the south. Murphy might be an able politician, but he'd still be seen by many as a northern politician from a northern party being parachuted in. Not sure there's a quick answer.

Tony Baloney

What is the industrial wage down south these days?

Banana Man

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 15, 2010, 10:30:47 PM

To be honest, I think they need to get someone from the south to be a credible leader in the south. Murphy might be an able politician, but he'd still be seen by many as a northern politician from a northern party being parachuted in. Not sure there's a quick answer.

I'm not so sure of that Maguire in the Louth constituency. Murphy is from south armagh and north louth/Dundalk is natural hinterland to that area, I feel a lot of the people there would see him as 'one of their own'. Perhaps further south they may agree with your perception but I don't think it's the correct assumption for Louth....

Maguire01

Quote from: Banana Man on November 15, 2010, 10:41:47 PM

I'm not so sure of that Maguire in the Louth constituency. Murphy is from south armagh and north louth/Dundalk is natural hinterland to that area, I feel a lot of the people there would see him as 'one of their own'. Perhaps further south they may agree with your perception but I don't think it's the correct assumption for Louth....
I agree, they'd probably both get elected in Louth. But we're talking about a 'leader' in the south, not just holding onto an existing seat.

Banana Man

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 15, 2010, 10:45:18 PM

I agree, they'd probably both get elected in Louth. But we're talking about a 'leader' in the south, not just holding onto an existing seat.

No, dare i say it, I'm actually agreeing with you on the leader part but i think murphy would romp home in louth

Maguire01

Quote from: Banana Man on November 15, 2010, 10:47:03 PM

No, dare i say it, I'm actually agreeing with you on the leader part but i think murphy would romp home in louth
Well then you're surely agreeing with me on both parts?!

Banana Man

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 15, 2010, 10:49:38 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on November 15, 2010, 10:47:03 PM

Well then you're surely agreeing with me on both parts?!

i'm scared, i think i am :o

Kerry Mike

If elected he will fit in well with most of our TD's, well able to twist, ignore or deny the truth. Jaysus he could make a great Taoiseach one day.

I wonder is the recovery of some of the dissappeared people in recent months part of a synchronised pre-election campaign. Is he trying to gain a few brownie points, (or points for Brownie even)

The question is if he was standing in your constituency would you vote for him. I wouldn't but that's just me. Can never seem to warm to the man or many of the SF crew.

SF need some new leadership down south, McDonald has been a disaster and embarrassment for SF and I can't see how she would be liked in the north, and then you have O'Snodaigh, O'Caolaoin and Ferris. Talk about the Muppet show. Whatever Ferris's merits as a good local politician, he will never gain popular respect after his and his daughter's lack of morals on the Garda McCabe issue, and his acting as taxi drivers to the scum of murderers on their release from prison left a very sour taste.

But it's Louth decision, and if they vote in Adams so be it.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Maguire01

Quote from: Kerry Mike on November 15, 2010, 11:10:00 PM
I wonder is the recovery of some of the dissappeared people in recent months part of a synchronised pre-election campaign. Is he trying to gain a few brownie points, (or points for Brownie even)
I wouldn't have thought there would be positives for SF to have the disappeared back in the media, even if it's a 'good' news story.

TransitVanMan

in short I dont think adams is the man to lead a modern sf.
Could ye not coax John Hume out of retirement.
Get in the Van!