GAA Books 2010

Started by donelli, November 10, 2010, 01:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 20, 2010, 12:49:38 AM
Have been manic busy the last few weeks so haven't got around to buying the Club yet but will be doing so this week. Christy O'Connor is a top GAA writer. Last Man Standing was superb. The Club sounds like it could be better. Christy's great skill is to not hold back in terms of content but never looking like he is being invasive in what he is writing about.

By the way has anyone read Damien Lawlor's book last year about the Waterford footballers? I couldn't get my hands on it then but might pick it up if it is around the place and worth reading.

Pick it up. Great book as well.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: INDIANA on December 20, 2010, 12:54:10 AM
Have been manic busy the last few weeks so haven't got around to buying the Club yet but will be doing so this week. Christy O'Connor is a top GAA writer. Last Man Standing was superb. The Club sounds like it could be better. Christy's great skill is to not hold back in terms of content but never looking like he is being invasive in what he is writing about.

By the way has anyone read Damien Lawlor's book last year about the Waterford footballers? I couldn't get my hands on it then but might pick it up if it is around the place and worth reading.

Cheers Indy. Will do. With those two books I'll be watching damn all TV by the sound of things!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

S Áine

Quote from: S Áine on December 02, 2010, 03:41:56 PM
'FROM CLONARD TO CROKE'. A History of St Galls GAC, 1910 - 2010.

From 'Clonard To Croke' is a painstakingly researched and detailed book by J.A. Walshe which chronicles the formation and highs and lows of Cumann Naomh Gall over the last one hundred years. While 2010 saw the senior hurlers and footballers reach the 'Holy Grail' of Croke Park, with the footballers tasting the ultimate glory, this book tells how St Galls came to be and what went before the glorious year of 2010. The long awaited launch will take place in the clubrooms on December the 8th and will include a contribution from renowned historian Dr Eamon Phoenix. All interested Gaels and others are cordially invited to attend. The book will of course be on sale at the launch. For anyone interested in purchasing it please be reminded that this is a limited edition so people are advised to buy early as when they're gone they're gone.
The author hails from Cork originally who has spent many years teaching in Belfast and played for and managed teams in St Galls.

Think that book is nearly sold out in case anyone's still looking it.

Louth Exile

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 20, 2010, 10:35:29 AM

Cheers Indy. Will do. With those two books I'll be watching damn all TV by the sound of things!

I couldn't get the club in Easons in Dundalk or Navan over the last few days, or the mighty town of Carrickmacross for that matter either!! Starting to panic a bit now that I might struggle to get it!!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

George Foreman

I read about 8 chapters on the Waterford footballers and it was shit.  It was just a collection of match reports.  The idea for the book was brilliant, but it just wasn't very well executed from what I saw.

mattockranger

you have go then.....ridiculous statement
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

5 Sams

Quote from: Louth Exile on December 21, 2010, 01:03:31 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 20, 2010, 10:35:29 AM

I couldn't get the club in Easons in Dundalk or Navan over the last few days, or the mighty town of Carrickmacross for that matter either!! Starting to panic a bit now that I might struggle to get it!!

Sold out in Easons in Newry as well. I hope the Bean Cheile was cute enough to get it bought early..
The Aristocrat Years

Croí na hÉireann

Finished The Club in my third sitting with it last night. Outstanding from start to finish, great end to it and it's as honest and refreshing as I heard it was. Will be sitting down with it again over the Christmas. The newstalk with Christy O'Connor is here http://www.newstalk.ie/2010/programmes/all-programmes/offtheball/the-club/
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

donelli

O'Connor's 'the club' was still available in easons in rushmere craigavon yesterday. Picked up my copy there

Bud Wiser

Quote from: Jinxy on November 10, 2010, 03:12:37 PM
Christy O'Connor was on Newstalk with one of the other lads from the club the other night.
Excellent interview and after hearing what it's about I'm definitely going to buy it.
I bought this one jinxy, couldn't leave it down.   
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Orior

I'm reading The Gambler by Oisín McConville's.

Could care too much about the gambling bit - more interested in what was happening with the county team between 1994 and 1998.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Bud Wiser

I think orior the worst gamble ye took was when ye let yer man with the golf club above your head there in the avatar go to Galway !!
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Orior

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 26, 2010, 03:46:03 PM
I think orior the worst gamble ye took was when ye let yer man with the golf club above your head there in the avatar go to Galway !!

Didnt know he played left handed
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Celt_Man

The auld fella was bought Dara O'Sé and Dan Shanahan's Autobiography for Xmas.  Just a coincidence that I want to read them too... looking forward to them... May get my hands on The Club too
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

donelli

3/4 way through 'the club'. great read, best gaa book for a long while..