GAA Books 2010

Started by donelli, November 10, 2010, 01:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Don Johnson on November 16, 2010, 12:16:26 PM
Quote from: Real Talk on November 10, 2010, 09:31:44 PM
I heard that the 'elder' James McCartan is doing an autobiography for the Christmas market and also coincides with the 50th Anniversary of Downs first Sam in 1960. Don't know who the author is though

Is that some sort of stupid joke?

It's modestly called "The King of Down Football"
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

I thought that myself when I saw the cover O'Neill. The modesty of it indeed!

nrico2006

Just reading an article on the release of the book myself there and couldn't believe the title.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 17, 2010, 08:40:17 AM
Just reading an article on the release of the book myself there and couldn't believe the title.

The title is just stating what he is.
Went to a Leinster Hurling Final between Kilkenny and Offaly and was on the hill beside a group of Offaly fans.
Got talking to one of them anyway, told him I was more of the Football persuasion, and came from Down.
He turned and said "Down, the home of King James, he was the best there's ever been". :'(
Says it all.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Zapatista

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 10, 2010, 01:32:04 PM
The Club is written by Christy O'Connor who writes for the Sunday Times, extracts look good, Kieran Shannon in the Tribune was singing its praises last weekend.

Anyone listen to the interview on Radio 1 today? I missed it and might check it out later but only if it's a good interview.

5 Sams

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on November 18, 2010, 12:29:02 PM

The title is just stating what he is.Went to a Leinster Hurling Final between Kilkenny and Offaly and was on the hill beside a group of Offaly fans.
Got talking to one of them anyway, told him I was more of the Football persuasion, and came from Down.
He turned and said "Down, the home of King James, he was the best there's ever been". :'(
Says it all.

In fairness Paddy Mo, Sean O'Neill ,Greg Blaney and Mickey Linden would have equal claim to the title.....James just managed to take advantage first..
The Aristocrat Years

ONeill

The title is just stating what he is.
Went to a Leinster Hurling Final between Kilkenny and Offaly and was on the hill beside a group of Offaly fans.
Says it all.

Probably talking about Colgan.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 18, 2010, 11:42:27 PM

The title is just stating what he is.Went to a Leinster Hurling Final between Kilkenny and Offaly and was on the hill beside a group of Offaly fans.
Says it all.

In fairness Paddy Mo, Sean O'Neill ,Greg Blaney and Mickey Linden would have equal claim to the title.....James just managed to take advantage first..

I couldn't agree more 5 Sams; you could include a few more there as well (McAlarney, Lennon, Wee James), but I have reason to believe that the title was his nickname in the sixties throughout Ireland - maybe he is just reminiscing... Book launch was on the 16th; does anyone know if he had a jump suit on with aviator sunglasses? uh-ha-ha 8)
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

S Áine

'FROM CLONARD TO CROKE'. A History of St Galls GAC, 1910 - 2010.

From 'Clonard To Croke' is a painstakingly researched and detailed book by J.A. Walshe which chronicles the formation and highs and lows of Cumann Naomh Gall over the last one hundred years. While 2010 saw the senior hurlers and footballers reach the 'Holy Grail' of Croke Park, with the footballers tasting the ultimate glory, this book tells how St Galls came to be and what went before the glorious year of 2010. The long awaited launch will take place in the clubrooms on December the 8th and will include a contribution from renowned historian Dr Eamon Phoenix. All interested Gaels and others are cordially invited to attend. The book will of course be on sale at the launch. For anyone interested in purchasing it please be reminded that this is a limited edition so people are advised to buy early as when they're gone they're gone.
The author hails from Cork originally who has spent many years teaching in Belfast and played for and managed teams in St Galls.

cogito

I got stuck into Christy O'Connor's 'The Club' in the last week or so. Was meant to be a Christmas present for someone else but with the weather the way it was I got stuck into it ;D

Fantastic book. Would recommend it to anyone.

The Worker

Any good GAA DVDs out for christmas?

furboot

Quote from: The Worker on December 08, 2010, 10:24:12 PM
Any good GAA DVDs out for christmas?

haven't seen them but heard some ads on the 'wireless' that sounded like there are 8 or 10 full length football and hurling matches released on DVD this year. The Tipp v Galway hurling match would be my choice of a great match to watch again !

ck

Has anyone read Darragh O'Sheas book? Thinking of buying it but not if it's just a fluffy bit of niceboy stuff. Does it really get into issues about playing with the Kerry team? Does he talk in detail about how he trains etc?
Would appreciate an insight.. cheers

RedandGreenSniper

Have been manic busy the last few weeks so haven't got around to buying the Club yet but will be doing so this week. Christy O'Connor is a top GAA writer. Last Man Standing was superb. The Club sounds like it could be better. Christy's great skill is to not hold back in terms of content but never looking like he is being invasive in what he is writing about.

By the way has anyone read Damien Lawlor's book last year about the Waterford footballers? I couldn't get my hands on it then but might pick it up if it is around the place and worth reading.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year