Financial Independence for County boards

Started by thejuice, November 09, 2010, 01:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

On a different site I put together what I suppose in business terms might be called a 'visionary' proposal to create financial security for Meath GAA for the long term future. I wrote the article with the purpose of funding the redevelopment of Pairc Tailteann along with the other day to day operations that are provided by GAA county boards. With the funding monster rearing its Banty shaped head recently I thought I would put this forward once again to see if this is a real possibility.

The Proposal
I took precedence from small projects I worked on in England for 15,000 to 20,000 capacity all seater stadiums. In developing these stadiums they have also built on site associated retail units which are owned and rented by the clubs. I don't know for a start if there is anything in the GAA rule book that is against  county boards entering into such a market and start developing non-sporting property.

In Navan looking at the parcel of land available and its location in the centre of town it has great potential. Applying a bit of fantasy into it, there is also potential to place a new train station in the town next to the stadium. This would have huge benefit to the viability of such a project but it would of course have to be funded by other parties.

In regards the recession and economics
This as stated at the start is merely a vision, something possibly to set up as a long term goal and is unlikely to happen within the next 10 years if it at all. It would take a large initial investment and fund raising and now is not the time for that. In regards what market could be targeted for the associated units, since Navan shopping centre is likely to be too strong a competitor for retail and it would also be a shame if a new development were to harm other local businesses, perhaps leisure or as a business park.

On morality and the GAA principles
At the moment Croke park seems to be the engine room for generating cash which then gets handed out to county boards. On the side they have fund raisers, lotto's, raffles, sponsorship, your membership clubs and  white collar boxing. Considering the financial relationships that the GAA has made over the last few year would such development be  echoing the message that's been coming from headquarters.

However this will see the GAA straying outside its own realm and into something that many will feel and I am in both camps here, where making money will become take the greater focus of the organization. Removing the need for fund raising might remove the glue that keeps GAA communities together. Perhaps the dependency on each other is what makes things tic after all.

Benefits?
The  whole point of doing this I feel is that this will give counties a bit of financial independence from Croke park, and won't need to be going to Dublin with the begging bowl in hand. It will it pay for facilities like the stadium and youth training, mercenary county managers, player welfare, club facilities, . If the finances  aren't so good in Croke park for whatever reason the county board will still be in stable financial position as it gets its money from other sectors.

On the other hand the possibility for corruption, huge debt and mismanagement is very real. As we have seen over the last few years we are far from immune to this kind of thing. It would be necessary for a separate entity to run these non-sporting operations on behalf of the county board while without making it unprofitable.

Care to comment?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Banana Man

yeah go to cash left topic on non gaa discussion...

thejuice

Yes I've just read that. Perhaps when the whole country has emmigrated we can do it in New Navan.

However assuming the recession wont last forever and we do crawl out of the almighty hole we are in, and I did stress this in the article if you read it, how would you feel about GAA boards taking this route?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Eamonnca1

Might have to wait until the country's financial woes are fixed, but I think it's a great proposal. 

I've been talking for years about how more stadiums should be less focused on higher capacity and more focused on higher quality, and be multi-use so they can go on generating revenue when there's no games being played.  Croke Park is already available for commercial use for conferences and weddings, and I know of other GAA facilities that do likewise.  Gaelic Park in Chicago is a great place to host weddings, the complex they have there is fantastic with the nice bar, restaurant and a huge number of partitionable function rooms.  They say you have to book your wedding reception about two years in advance if you want to have it there.  You could do a lot worse than speak to the Gaelic Park people and get some input from them since they have experience of this sort of thing.

You've probably already studied the Reebok Stadium in Bolton, the "hotel shaped like a football stadium" as they say. Similar sort of thing.

I say go for it.

thejuice

Yeah, the Reebok was actually one I was looking at. Only built for £24m which is half the price of Thomond park roughly. Not only that but it stands out for its architecture too, which in itself attracts investment.

Pairc Tailteann at the minute whatever about sentimentality has been compared unfavourably to something out of Communist Russia before the collapse. There is no need to increase capacity in Navan but an upgrade in terms of quality is badly needed.

But there wont be any "going for it" for a good while. The grassy banks and wooden seats that fit 2 people will have to do us for another while yet. A few tin of green and gold paint should see this recession out.

Eamonnca1

You'll have plenty of time to build a proposal, do your politicking, get your ducks lined up and get people on board with it.

Pangurban

Would probably lead to greater inequality between the stronger more populated counties, and the less affluent fewer populated. Also as all GAA property is held in trust by Central Council and its nominees, it would make little difference in the overall scheme of things. We are all members of the one association, contributing according to ability, and receiving support according to need. I would instictively be suspicious off and reluctant to support any proposal which weakened or threatened our sense of unity, particularly when the motive is financial. Your proposal raises more questions than answers, and would need to be fleshed out a lot more, if you want it too receive serious consideration. Nevertheless i applaud the fact that you are thinking innovatively, and can visualise areas where some benefit could accrue from your proposal