Couple give away lottery millions

Started by Hedley Lamarr, November 05, 2010, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hedley Lamarr

A Canadian couple have given away most of their 6.9 million pound lottery winnings
A Canadian couple who won £6.9 million on the lottery and gave away 98% of it said that they are just plain country folks who do not need more than they have.

Allen and Violet Large said they won their fortune in a July 14 Lotto 649 draw and decided to save 2% for a rainy day and give away the rest.

After taking care of their family, they donated some £6.5 million to churches, fire departments, cemeteries and the Red Cross in Lower Truro, Nova Scotia, as well as hospitals where Mrs Large, who has cancer, has undergone treatment.

Mr Large, 75, said that, after retiring from a 30-year career as a welder, he and his wife were happy with what they had and the way their lives were going.

He said their phone has been ringing non-stop since news about their philanthropy spread to international media after a local paper covered their story this week.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Hedley Lamarr on November 05, 2010, 01:51:01 PM

A Canadian couple have given away most of their 6.9 million pound lottery winnings
A Canadian couple who won £6.9 million on the lottery and gave away 98% of it said that they are just plain country folks who do not need more than they have.

Allen and Violet Large said they won their fortune in a July 14 Lotto 649 draw and decided to save 2% for a rainy day and give away the rest.

After taking care of their family, they donated some £6.5 million to churches, fire departments, cemeteries and the Red Cross in Lower Truro, Nova Scotia, as well as hospitals where Mrs Large, who has cancer, has undergone treatment.

Mr Large, 75, said that, after retiring from a 30-year career as a welder, he and his wife were happy with what they had and the way their lives were going.

He said their phone has been ringing non-stop since news about their philanthropy spread to international media after a local paper covered their story this week.
Fair play to them, nice to hear storys like this  :)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

mylestheslasher

So why are they doing the lotto in the first place?

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

The Iceman

Fair play to them. would be hard to do. I always said if I came into big money I would give a good chunk of it away but 98% is some chunk....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

the Deel Rover

Quote from: The Iceman on November 05, 2010, 02:20:08 PM
Fair play to them. would be hard to do. I always said if I came into big money I would give a good chunk of it away but 98% is some chunk....

i can't imagine their family  doing cartwheels  when told the news
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

seafoid

Meanwhile elsewhere

Mr Monaghan said undocumented migrants and asylum seekers were suffering severe financial hardship. In one incident this year a mother handed over a three week old baby to a volunteer saying she couldn't afford to feed the baby, he said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1105/1224282726864.html

lurganblue

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 05, 2010, 02:07:40 PM
So why are they doing the lotto in the first place?

Exactly. The wife always said if she won the lotto she would give most of it away. To me hopefully.

MadMayo

Gabriel_Hurl