Wine

Started by isourboydownyet, November 01, 2010, 03:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caughtredhanded

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 01, 2010, 07:59:12 PM
Quote from: BenDover on November 01, 2010, 04:05:40 PM
Quote from: isourboydownyet on November 01, 2010, 03:34:12 PM
thought i would start a thread so people on here can recommend a wine they have had to others,i am not one of these who can tell year or grape but love my wines and i had a class sauvignon blanc called wither hills from new zealand at the weekend.
The NZ Sauv Blanc would be up there with the best of them, next time you could try either the Montana, The Ned, Oyster Bay, Villa Maria sauvignon blanc's, or for those who like their reds Porcupine Ridge Syrah and Heartland Shiraz

Try Hunters vineyard for the Sauvignon - bit pricey, but a great bottle nonetheless.

The wife and I were in NZ a couple of years ago and stayed in the Marlborough area. We hired a couple of bikes and cycled around the vineyards. Its quite a small area and the roads are flat which makes it easy to do. You get to sample all the wines for free (self control required) Anyway probably the best vineyards we were in were Wither Hills and Highfield. Lovely wine, it was like lemonade.

If you're in M&S their Shepherds Ridge Sauv Blanc is actually Wither Hills, its a pound or so cheaper there.

ziggysego

I have a liking for Austrialian wines. McGuigan's Black Label Chardonnay.

I believe their family can be traced back to Greencastle.
Testing Accessibility

isourboydownyet

Quote from: caughtredhanded on November 01, 2010, 11:46:19 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 01, 2010, 07:59:12 PM
Quote from: BenDover on November 01, 2010, 04:05:40 PM
Quote from: isourboydownyet on November 01, 2010, 03:34:12 PM
thought i would start a thread so people on here can recommend a wine they have had to others,i am not one of these who can tell year or grape but love my wines and i had a class sauvignon blanc called wither hills from new zealand at the weekend.
The NZ Sauv Blanc would be up there with the best of them, next time you could try either the Montana, The Ned, Oyster Bay, Villa Maria sauvignon blanc's, or for those who like their reds Porcupine Ridge Syrah and Heartland Shiraz

Try Hunters vineyard for the Sauvignon - bit pricey, but a great bottle nonetheless.

The wife and I were in NZ a couple of years ago and stayed in the Marlborough area. We hired a couple of bikes and cycled around the vineyards. Its quite a small area and the roads are flat which makes it easy to do. You get to sample all the wines for free (self control required) Anyway probably the best vineyards we were in were Wither Hills and Highfield. Lovely wine, it was like lemonade.

If you're in M&S their Shepherds Ridge Sauv Blanc is actually Wither Hills, its a pound or so cheaper there.

the first time i had wither hills was saturday night and i thought it was unreal,you get that sharp kick with the first sip and it just glides down the throat.
just checked there and tesco are doing a case for £39,i paid 29.95 for a bottle in malmaison!!!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on November 01, 2010, 06:45:24 PM
Not to be too forward, but if Lynchbhoy were to extend me a cordial invite to his abode, I am convinced that I would appreciate it.
next time yer over for a game- get me a ticket and I'll crack open the 05's no problem !
I'd say Billy is a greater officionado than me though !

McGrens wouldnt appreciate  the good red vino, he can come for the buckfast!

mc_grens

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 02, 2010, 01:48:20 PM
Not to be too forward, but if Lynchbhoy were to extend me a cordial invite to his abode, I am convinced that I would appreciate it.
next time yer over for a game- get me a ticket and I'll crack open the 05's no problem !

Nice.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mc_grens on November 02, 2010, 01:52:41 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 02, 2010, 01:48:20 PM

Nice.
at least its an invite !
bring yer own btw !  ;)

isourboydownyet

had a lovely sauvignon blanc last nitgh.oceans edge from new zealand,tesco doing it 1/2 price at £4.49

CiKe

Not exactly a wine connoisseur but trying my best over last few months to rectify that. Two lovely spanish reds i've come across in that time:

Remelluri 2005 Reserva (Rioja)

Mas d'en Compte (Priorat)

Puckoon

I take it all back. I died a slow, miserable death today. Had to leave work and go and sleep in the parking lot at the store next door.

Olly

On another note, how much and safe is wine to drink? I recently cut down on it. I was drinking a bottle of wine plus a night but now I just drink a bottle on Mons, Weds, Fris and Sats and some Suns. I don't believe in any of the governement guidelines crap as I see drunks in Belfast City Centre every day and they're still drinking well into their 50s, solid.

I recently heard of a boy who drank every day for years, stopped and then died 2 weeks later because his body didn't like just blood and water running through it. His body had evolved into perceiving alcohol as normal.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Hedley Lamarr

Quote from: Olly on November 05, 2010, 11:20:23 AM
On another note, how much and safe is wine to drink? I recently cut down on it. I was drinking a bottle of wine plus a night but now I just drink a bottle on Mons, Weds, Fris and Sats and some Suns. I don't believe in any of the governement guidelines crap as I see drunks in Belfast City Centre every day and they're still drinking well into their 50s, solid.

I recently heard of a boy who drank every day for years, stopped and then died 2 weeks later because his body didn't like just blood and water running through it. His body had evolved into perceiving alcohol as normal.

Drink all you can....life is too short, although I hope you have quit smoking
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

lynchbhoy

Billy's going to love this.... :D
superquinn seem to have a wine sale on right now
must go in to see if some of those reduced wines are 2005 or 2003, but while my preferred Chateau jouberg seems to be now just 2006 I will def go with this very cheap and good red bordeaux for the reduced price of €8 (normally €10.50 it says though this has been sold at €12 in the past couple of years).
Chateau le Mayne Bordeaux Superieur AOC
for the price its better than the rest of superquinns more expensive reds (the non 2005 ones)
including the bottles over €30

I'm heading into superquinn on the way home and i'll buy at least half a dozen of these at €8.
I was going to go to mitchells wine shop today (http://www.mitchellandson.com/) to see if they had any bargains, but you wont beat the chateau le mayne - not for that price!

isourboydownyet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 05, 2010, 11:51:58 AM
must go in to see if some of those reduced wines are 2005 or 2003, but while my preferred Chateau jouberg seems to be now just 2006 I will def go with this very cheap and good red bordeaux for the reduced price of €8 (normally €10.50 it says though this has been sold at €12 in the past couple of years).
for the price its better than the rest of superquinns more expensive reds (the non 2005 ones)

I'm heading into superquinn on the way home and i'll buy at least half a dozen of these at €8.
I was going to go to mitchells wine shop today (http://www.mitchellandson.com/) to see if they had any bargains, but you wont beat the chateau le mayne - not for that price!

i like your style,horse it into you sir!!

theskull1

Quote from: Hedley Lamarr on November 05, 2010, 11:26:14 AM
Quote from: Olly on November 05, 2010, 11:20:23 AM

Drink all you can....life is too short, although I hope you have quit smoking

If its all too short ...why waste all your time drinking? The most overrated pastime ever invented.

The whole notion of drinking to excess being a thing to do when you want to enjoy ones self has to be one of the biggest cons foisted on our world. Look around your local next time and see if its an enjoyment a dependancy or just a bad choice of hobby for those who have no get up and go.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

lynchbhoy

Quote from: isourboydownyet on November 05, 2010, 11:59:32 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 05, 2010, 11:51:58 AM

i like your style,horse it into you sir!!
absolutely not !
nice bottle - even chateau la mayne - in a glass, warmed in your hand for 15 - 20 mins then sipped slowly.
Would only drink half a bottle a night now - a few years back it would be two per night!
buy good vino in bulk when I find it - esp at a good price!