Wine

Started by isourboydownyet, November 01, 2010, 03:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isourboydownyet

thought i would start a thread so people on here can recommend a wine they have had to others,i am not one of these who can tell year or grape but love my wines and i had a class sauvignon blanc called wither hills from new zealand at the weekend.

Denn Forever

Wolf Blass.  Don't know if it is supposed to be good but it goes down easy.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: isourboydownyet on November 01, 2010, 03:34:12 PM
thought i would start a thread so people on here can recommend a wine they have had to others,i am not one of these who can tell year or grape but love my wines and i had a class sauvignon blanc called wither hills from new zealand at the weekend.

3 for a £10 in Jackie Graham's at the minute. Wouldn't know any difference from that New Zealand stuff you had
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

isourboydownyet

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 01, 2010, 03:49:41 PM

3 for a £10 in Jackie Graham's at the minute. Wouldn't know any difference from that New Zealand stuff you had

they should see you over xmas!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 01, 2010, 03:40:43 PM
Wolf Blass.  Don't know if it is supposed to be good but it goes down easy.
started my wine drinking with wolf blas !
Shiraz or cab sauvignan or a mix of both are all good from WB.
Also like Rosemount shiraz. Cant go too wrong with a red from Oz - as long as its over the €12 mark .
Had a thing for Italian riserva chianti classico ruffina 2003 and for spanish roja reds - faustino reserva or gran reserva.

these days prefer 2003 or 2005 bordeaux. So many of them its hard to choose.
Christian mouix (who works for Lynch Bages) did a sideline  himself and it was under €20 a bottle from berry brothers and rudd
Superquinn supermarket did a fantastic 2005 chateau joubert for €15 but they are now selling the 2006 vintage and its not as good. Was drinking at least one of these a week.
Have to find a new 'cheaper' 'star' wine for 2011 !
Good news is that the 2009 vintage was supposed to be almost as good as 2003/2005 and is due out next year !
http://www.mitchellandson.com/bordeaux-c-21.html?keywords=&page=&sort_id=low
http://www.bbr.com/shopping/list?product_set_id_F=493&currency_code_F=EUR

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 01, 2010, 03:49:41 PM
you drink enough of it you will !!
NZ malborough region is supposed to be top notch for white wines.
I have no clue as I just dont like drinking whites!

Banana Man

Buckfast. Case closed.

BenDover

The NZ Sauv Blanc would be up there with the best of them, next time you could try either the Montana, The Ned, Oyster Bay, Villa Maria sauvignon blanc's, or for those who like their reds Porcupine Ridge Syrah and Heartland Shiraz

isourboydownyet

Quote from: BenDover on November 01, 2010, 04:05:40 PM
The NZ Sauv Blanc would be up there with the best of them, next time you could try either the Montana, The Ned, Oyster Bay, Villa Maria sauvignon blanc's, or for those who like their reds Porcupine Ridge Syrah and Heartland Shiraz

yeah have drank alot of that recently and think it really is top stuff

illdecide

Detest the taste of wine, dunno how people drink the stuff.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: isourboydownyet on November 01, 2010, 04:07:39 PM
Quote from: BenDover on November 01, 2010, 04:05:40 PM

yeah have drank alot of that recently and think it really is top stuff

How's it going George
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Billys Boots

Quotethese days prefer 2003 or 2005 bordeaux. So many of them its hard to choose.

I concur; I can't drink new world reds any more, I find them too sweet. 

I was at the wine sales in France last week and I picked up a case of 2005 Haut Médoc for €7 a bottle.  Money was tight, but there were lots of good bargains around.  Last year 2005 Graves, St. Emilions and Pomerols were about €9 a bottle for the decent vineyards.  Very hard to get good quality French wines in Ireland for under €25 a bottle - I despair of Superquinn. 

A good start for anyone not accustomed to French wines are the Cotes du Rhone - good hearty winter wines.  You should be able to get a decent one for a tenner in nearly any supermarket.  Don't buy cheap Bordeaux. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

isourboydownyet

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 01, 2010, 04:16:03 PM
Quotethese days prefer 2003 or 2005 bordeaux. So many of them its hard to choose.

I was at the wine sales in France last week and I picked up a case of 2005 Haut Médoc for €7 a bottle.  Money was tight, but there were lots of good bargains around.  Last year 2005 Graves, St. Emilions and Pomerols were about €9 a bottle for the decent vineyards.  Very hard to get good quality French wines in Ireland for under €25 a bottle - I despair of Superquinn. 

A good start for anyone not accustomed to French wines are the Cotes du Rhone - good hearty winter wines.  You should be able to get a decent one for a tenner in nearly any supermarket.  Don't buy cheap Bordeaux.

am i right in thinking this is the same region as chateauneuf du pape? (forgive my spelling)
i got a wine from asda recently that was next door to the above vineyard and was very good just canr remeber the name

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 01, 2010, 04:16:03 PM

absolutely. ....dont buy cheap wine full stop !!
ok for students and those wanting to get drunk/blind /sick but spend a few quid more and you will actually start enjoying the taste!
Billy- you must have missed that €15 2005 chateau joubert in superquinn...it was better than most others under €30 here ! fecking lovely stuff !

defo have to get on to you about the boat to france and where you go for the vino. Its a holiday I'm looking forward to having and the wife is dreading !!

lynchbhoy

[quote author=isourboydownyet link=topic=17782.msg874384#msg874384 am i right in thinking this is the same region as chateauneuf du pape? (forgive my spelling)
i got a wine from asda recently that was next door to the above vineyard and was very good just canr remeber the name
[/quote]
corbieres possibly?