Time travelling

Started by Olly, October 28, 2010, 03:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olly

Two things to relate here.

Firstly - I told you so! This footage = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj3qesTjOE8&feature=player_embedded#! = shows someone talking on a mobile phone during a Charlie Chaplin movie in the 1920s.

Secondly, if you could time travel where would you go and why?

I would go to a Freddie Mercury after party and warn him about protection.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

SLIGONIAN

You just beat me by 10secs on the topic, just deleted but heres my thoughts...

In the above video, it looks compelling but scienctists havent figured how to go back in time, only go forward. what do ye reckon, what is it if its not a mobile phone, i think we can rule out mobiles as there would be no coverage? Maybe a music device but even still way ahead of its time..

Time travel that is possible>

I recently watched Discovery channel and hawkins and time travel into the future is possible, its actally quite clever, but te technology isnt there for humans yet, it was proved in the that black hole tunnel in geneva. For humans it would work this way, if we travelled at the speed of light.

So there example was if a mono rail was built around the earth, and humans were on a train going around the earth at the speed of light, what would be a week for the humans on the train would be 100yrs for the earth. So when you got off the train it would be a futuristic earth. It would be the same for humans and space travel, if we travelled at speed of light we would slow time down for those on the space ship etc...

Now the big if is how humans can survive the speed of light and thats not figure out yet nor is a vehicle that can go that fast. I always wanted to live in the star wars universe but doubt technology will go forward that much.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Gaaman

Seen that in the paper today as well.
Thought the article was brilliant. The fella was quoted 'I seen it and thought there is only one reasonable explanation.....shes a time traveller'

Don't really know where I would go to be honest. Probably go back to the Oct 25th 2010 that way my yogurt wouldn't be out of date.

Olly

The boy who found it is from Ireland - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhP-dHKlk9w&feature=related

which makes it more important as if he was American he would probably have been lying.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Gaaman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 28, 2010, 03:11:58 PM

In the above video, it looks compelling but scienctists havent figured how to go back in time, only go forward. what do ye reckon, what is it if its not a mobile phone, i think we can rule out mobiles as there would be no coverage? Maybe a music device but even still way ahead of its time..

I recently watched Discovery channel and hawkins and time travel into the future is possible, its actally quite clever, but te technology isnt there for humans yet, it was proved in the that black hole tunnel in geneva. For humans it would work this way, if we travelled at the speed of light.

So there example was if a mono rail was built around the earth, and humans were on a train going around the earth at the speed of light, what would be a week for the humans on the train would be 100yrs for the earth. So when you got off the train it would be a futuristic earth. It would be the same for humans and space travel, if we travelled at speed of light we would slow time down for those on the space ship etc...

Now the big if is how humans can survive the speed of light and thats not figure out yet nor is a vehicle that can go that fast. I always wanted to live in the star wars universe but doubt technology will go forward that much.

If this example was true surley to go back in time you would just make the train go the other way?  :D

Also if you were to go forward in time would you need a return ticket?

johnneycool

It look likes an old nokia to me.

Did Henry Ford have a hands free kit in the Ford Model T?

Olly

I just asked my Granny who was alive when Chaplin was a Hollywood superstar and she says it's a hearing aid from 1924.

http://hearing.siemens.com/sg/10-about-us/01-our-history/milestones.jsp?year=1924

Very disappointing. That man Clarke should be arrested.

Ludraman

Quote from: Olly on October 28, 2010, 03:16:02 PM
The boy who found it is from Ireland - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhP-dHKlk9w&feature=related

which makes it more important as if he was American he would probably have been lying.

Im astonished. Look at the size of er feet. I mean der huge. no?

Kerry Mike

I'd go back to Sept 1982, and tell Tommy Doyle to hit Seamus Darby a decent slap before the ball came in.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Orior

I'd go back to 2003 and tell Diarmuid Marsden to run as fast as he could towards Philip Jordan, instead of just standing still and trying to defend himself.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hedley Lamarr

Ever been to Portadown....it's a black hole and they still think it is 1690 :D
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gaaman on October 28, 2010, 03:15:11 PM
Seen that in the paper today as well.
Thought the article was brilliant. The fella was quoted 'I seen it and thought there is only one reasonable explanation.....shes a time traveller'

Don't really know where I would go to be honest. Probably go back to the Oct 25th 2010 that way my yogurt wouldn't be out of date.
yoghurt doesn't really go out of date, well, not for a good few weeks after the date on the lid anyway.  Always remember, taste and smell are more important than use by dates.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Star Wars is set in the Past, Star Trek is set in the future.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Olly on October 28, 2010, 03:09:55 PM
Two things to relate here.

Firstly - I told you so! This footage = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj3qesTjOE8&feature=player_embedded#! = shows someone talking on a mobile phone during a Charlie Chaplin movie in the 1920s.

Secondly, if you could time travel where would you go and why?

I would go to a Freddie Mercury after party and warn him about protection.

Brilliant I couldn't get a signal in Australia but this time traveller can get one in 1920  ;D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life

Saw that video about week ago, looks like a man in drag ashamed of himself holding his hand to his face

If a time-traveler met you in the street & say hello "i'm from the future" what would be say in reply?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open