How hard do you work for your money?

Started by Puckoon, October 26, 2010, 04:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

I've just today completed one year in a new job, working for a large drug testing company - and while I've always been aware of the corporate America lifestyle - time off frowned upon, no time off at christmas etc - I am currently just amazed at the workload, and the number of hours a week needed to get about 80% of it completed. I am currently knocking out between 55-60 hours a week
Not complaining mind you, having been out of work for 8 months I'd have bitten the companys arm off to get this job.

I am sure there are people in this company who think my job isnt that bad, and then there are the folks who's job I think is cushy enough - so I was wondering how you all feel about your job, especially considering the number of redundancies in recent times.

Scale of 1-10 answers with 10 being the highest, or a simple yes no for questions 4-6:

1. How important do you think your job is? 7
2. How valuable to your company/boss do you think you are? 7 company, 9 Boss
3. How hard do you work on an average weekly basis? Some weeks over 10, some weeks 8 - probably averaging out at 9
4. Do you think your compensation reflects your job description? Yes, at the most basic level of performance
5. Do you think your compensation reflects your effort? Not quite yet, but I think its being addressed
6. If you were your boss, would you be satisfied with you as an employee? Compared to 90% of my peers, I'd hope he'd be delighted.

whiskeysteve

Everybody give Puckoon a big gold star!  :P

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Puckoon

:D How about a cot for the office.

I figured I needed to answer my own questions.

Dinny Breen

1. How important do you think your job is?

I work for a company that is one of the biggest in the world whose revenue regularly exceeds $100 Billion - 1

1/2

3. How hard do you work on an average weekly basis? Some weeks over 10, some weeks 8 - probably averaging out at 9

I have my own professional pride but never go above and beyond - 7

4. Do you think your compensation reflects your job description?

No - I more less had to take a promotion without a pay rise

5. Do you think your compensation reflects your effort?

Yes

6. If you were your boss, would you be satisfied with you as an employee?

I get the job done on ahead of schedule everytime, very satisified...
#newbridgeornowhere

John Martin

Scale of 1-10 answers with 10 being the highest, or a simple yes no for questions 4-6:

1. How important do you think your job is? 10
2. How valuable to your company/boss do you think you are? 5, I could be replaced but not that easily.
3. How hard do you work on an average weekly basis? 3
4. Do you think your compensation reflects your job description? Yes
5. Do you think your compensation reflects your effort? Yes, maybe too much though.
6. If you were your boss, would you be satisfied with you as an employee? I'd be begrudgingly satisfied.

pintsofguinness

good thread puck - I have a love hate relationship with my job. I hate it Monday-Wednesday, love it Thursday and Friday which I think is weird.

Anyway...
1. How important do you think your job is?   7

2. How valuable to your company/boss do you think you are?
0 and a 2
Anyone who thinks they can't be replaced is deluded.

3. How hard do you work on an average weekly basis?
Generally a 10.
I've no idea what sort of jobs some people on this board have when they seem to sit and post all day.

4. Do you think your compensation reflects your job description?
You must be f**king joking.

5. Do you think your compensation reflects your effort?
No it f**king doesnt.

6. If you were your boss, would you be satisfied with you as an employee?
Yes

Overall, I'm overworked and underpaid.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

2. How valuable to your company/boss do you think you are? 10 - I am the BOSS
3. How hard do you work on an average weekly basis? 10
4. Do you think your compensation reflects your job description? N/A
5. Do you think your compensation reflects your effort? N/A
6. If you were your boss, would you be satisfied with you as an employee? I am the Boss and yes I would be satisfied with me as a employee
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

I totally agree with you on the thinking you are not replaceable thing - but I have noticed that the opinion of that varies depending on who's side you are looking from.

For example - I think the global company, and even local site management would look at me as being replacable - although I dont think they would just throw away my job for no reason. I think my boss and my group however have invested so much time in the specific training that I think he would really not want to replace any of us, because it takes really 8 months of intense training to get up to speed and be of any use to the company.

Milltown Row2

35 hours a week, finish at 12.30 on a Friday, teaching four days and half day for administration, reviews, marking and preparation for the following week. On top of that I'm an internal verifier and have to sample the Assessors judgements.

We've good systems in place so it works well. I've never taken work home so unlike my wife I'm not marking papers/work late into the night.

As for what people think of you in work be it staff or management, we are just a number really, if you left tomorrow someone else will eventually fill your place, take on your duties and carry out the job just as well.  I'm in my fourth job in 12 years, moving from job to job that will pay the most. I'm really happy at my current job but if somewhere is offering more and improved working conditions then I'd check it out. You'd be a mug not to
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sammymaguire

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 26, 2010, 07:18:16 PM

2. How valuable to your company/boss do you think you are? 10 - I am the BOSS
3. How hard do you work on an average weekly basis? 10
4. Do you think your compensation reflects your job description? N/A
5. Do you think your compensation reflects your effort? N/A
6. If you were your boss, would you be satisfied with you as an employee? I am the Boss and yes I would be satisfied with me as a employee

Ditto  :o  :o  :o
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Nally Stand

Quote from: Puckoon on October 26, 2010, 04:46:58 PM
I've just today completed one year in a new job, working for a large drug testing company - and while I've always been aware of the corporate America lifestyle - time off frowned upon, no time off at christmas etc - I am currently just amazed at the workload, and the number of hours a week needed to get about 80% of it completed due to the fact that I am currently knocking out between 55-60 hours a week on gaaboard.com
Not complaining mind you, having been out of work for 8 months I'd have bitten the companys arm off to get this job.

I am sure there are people in this company who think my job isnt that bad, and then there are the folks who's job I think is cushy enough - so I was wondering how you all feel about your job, especially considering the number of redundancies in recent times.

1. How important do you think your job is? 7
4. Do you think your compensation reflects your job description? Yes, at the most basic level of performance
5. Do you think your compensation reflects your effort? Not quite yet, but I think its being addressed
6. If you were your boss, would you be satisfied with you as an employee? Compared to 90% of my peers, I'd hope he'd be delighted.

Fixed that for you ;)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ziggysego

Feel a bit uncomfortable answering this kinda questions. I've a bit of an inferiority complex. That said, the boss was singing my praises today.
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on October 26, 2010, 09:10:33 PM
Feel a bit uncomfortable answering this kinda questions. I've a bit of an inferiority complex. That said, the boss was singing my praises today.
Bass, baritone or tenor?

I'd say you're right to have an inferiority complex :D

ziggysego

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 26, 2010, 09:40:44 PM
Bass, baritone or tenor?

Well he wanted me to meet Tom Elliot today. I refused to, over his comments regarding the GAA a few weeks ago.
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on October 26, 2010, 09:45:42 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 26, 2010, 09:40:44 PM
Bass, baritone or tenor?

Well he wanted me to meet Tom Elliot today. I refused to, over his comments regarding the GAA a few weeks ago.
Coward. You could have asked him about it!