Voices from the grave - Rte1 Tuesday 26th October - 10.15pm

Started by Minder, October 25, 2010, 04:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 26, 2010, 07:40:15 PM
Just like your mate nally stand says - they see adams and co as sell outs, they want to discredit them and their strategy.  I wouldn't believe either crowd, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle though.
sf are sell outs, that's a fact.  No amount of bullshit will change that.  There is no sign of any UI nor will there be for a very long time to come.  In a way, they made sure of that by getting involved in the institutions.  It's not even true to say they supported the GFA as they signed nothing.

I seriously doubt whether Hughes would have made up a whole load of lies, gave an interview to MacIntyre and regurgitated all the lies he made up, (knowing he was dying) just to discredit Adams.

Do you think he got together with Price and others to make up said lies? 
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Minder

There is a difference between not believing in the direction Sinn Fein were taking, there are quite a few Republicans in that boat (Brian Arthurs being the most recent), and helping someone write a book about it. Was anyone able to discredit or prove that Hughes was lying? Obviously a lot of people that featured in the book are no longer alive. Was it in this book that made reference to Adams having said he was in jail when Jean Mc Conville was abducted and it transpired he wasn't ? I read it in the summer but don't have it at the minute.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Minder on October 26, 2010, 07:51:57 PM
There is a difference between not believing in the direction Sinn Fein were taking, there are quite a few Republicans in that boat (Brian Arthurs being the most recent), and helping someone write a book about it. Was anyone able to discredit or prove that Hughes was lying? Obviously a lot of people that featured in the book are no longer alive. Was it in this book that made reference to Adams having said he was in jail when Jean Mc Conville was abducted and it transpired he wasn't ? I read it in the summer but don't have it at the minute.
Yes Minder, that is in it
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 26, 2010, 07:48:41 PM
Just like your mate nally stand says - they see adams and co as sell outs, they want to discredit them and their strategy.  I wouldn't believe either crowd, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle though.
sf are sell outs, that's a fact.  No amount of bullshit will change that.  There is no sign of any UI nor will there be for a very long time to come.  In a way, they made sure of that by getting involved in the institutions.  It's not even true to say they supported the GFA as they signed nothing.

I seriously doubt whether Hughes would have made up a whole load of lies, gave an interview to MacIntyre and regurgitated all the lies he made up, (knowing he was dying) just to discredit Adams.

Why is that so hard to believe? Why wouldn't he?
I don't understand your stance on this - Hughes, Adams, Price etc are all the same type of people, responsible for the same things. Adams took the IRA down a peaceful route while Hughes, Price etc continued to stir shit but you'd still favour them over Adams & co? I don't get it.

Did Hughes not claim that Adams give the order to have McConville disappear, I don't think Hughes said he done that from a prison cell?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Nally Stand

sf are sell outs, that's a fact.  No amount of bullshit will change that.  There is no sign of any UI nor will there be for a very long time to come.  In a way, they made sure of that by getting involved in the institutions.
You sound like a man who's thinking of joining the RIRA or something there ardmhacaabu. Look that was EXACTLY the darks opinion too, which is EXACTLY why like you, he would have gladly tried his best to discredit SF.

And he wouldn't because.....???
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 26, 2010, 08:04:56 PM

I don't understand your stance on this - Hughes, Adams, Price etc are all the same type of people, responsible for the same things. Adams took the IRA down a peaceful route while Hughes, Price etc continued to stir shit but you'd still favour them over Adams & co? I don't get it.

Did Hughes not claim that Adams give the order to have McConville disappear, I don't think Hughes said he done that from a prison cell?
Adams is a proven liar pints.  That's the difference in my opinion.  I don't agree with the direction Price would take us in given half a chance.  By the time he died Hughes was disillusioned because of the way the Provos eventually went after spending a lifetime in pursuit of his political aims and losing his wife over the head of it.  He had lost sense of everything he had fought for because people he trusted along that journey shit all over him when it came to furthering their own political ambitions.  He never struck me as being a spiteful man

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 26, 2010, 08:15:05 PM

Adams is a proven liar pints.  That's the difference in my opinion.  I don't agree with the direction Price would take us in given half a chance.  By the time he died Hughes was disillusioned because of the way the Provos eventually went after spending a lifetime in pursuit of his political aims and losing his wife over the head of it.  He had lost sense of everything he had fought for because people he trusted along that journey shit all over him when it came to furthering their own political ambitions.  He never struck me as being a spiteful man
Adams may be a liar but so was Hughes and Price. They, Hughes in particular, was best buddies with Adams when he ordering Jean Mcconville's murder, ordering the hanging of some fella in Long Kesh etc (if you want to believe Hughes) - Hughes had no problem with any of this until Adams took the movement in a direction he didn't like (i.e. stopped killing people) - and Hughes is the one you'd stand up for? It makes no sense. Hughes, Price etc are, if anything, worse than Adams!

(I have no time for any of them)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Nally Stand

Yet in your eyes, he STILL had no reason to lie about those same people?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 26, 2010, 08:23:26 PM

Adams may be a liar but so was Hughes and Price. They, Hughes in particular, was best buddies with Adams when he ordering Jean Mcconville's murder, ordering the hanging of some fella in Long Kesh etc (if you want to believe Hughes) - Hughes had no problem with any of this until Adams took the movement in a direction he didn't like (i.e. stopped killing people) - and Hughes is the one you'd stand up for? It makes no sense. Hughes, Price etc are, if anything, worse than Adams!

(I have no time for any of them)
That's my opinion pints.  I didn't say they were better than Adams, I just know who I believe when it comes to it

Minder

It is obvious the book or this programme isn't goon to change the mind of Nally Stand, Glens Abu etc but I know of a few that have read it that were staunch Shinners, but aren't anymore.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Nally Stand

Nally Stand

Quote from: Minder on October 26, 2010, 08:50:41 PM
It is obvious the book or this programme isn't goon to change the mind of Nally Stand, Glens Abu etc but I know of a few that have read it that were staunch Shinners, but aren't anymore.

Sure isn't that the way with most things in life, very few things can get the agreement of everyone. Who's to say who is wrong. Nothing wrong with healthy debate though.

Zapatista

Quote from: Minder on October 26, 2010, 08:50:41 PM

Is that down to the book or gradually over the years?

orangeman

Sad to look back on history.

The dirty tricks used to bring the war to end were incredible.

Dirty, dirty, dirty rotten war.

Aoise

I've waited till I seen this programme to give an opinion.  I haven't read the book because anything Anthony McIntire is involved in I wouldn't go near.

Now that I have seen it, I feel that Hughes had a major axe to grind for a number of reasons some of which he alluded to, some he actully admitted to.  The prominent one being the loss of control/status and also the fact that he felt like a failure after the first hunger strikes.  Two boys grow together in the same community, come to prominence at the same time, revered amongst their own people and then suddenly, one is catapulted and the other is forgotten - seems to me like a life of resentment and jealously aimed directly at Gerry Adams, for the wrong reasons.  The two split ideologically in the late 70's, Hughes favoured continuing violence, Adams chose not to - simple.

Historically we know what Gerry Adams sympathised with, we also know what he was involved in.  No surprises there.  This programme just gave me a further insight into Brendan Hughes' bitterness and I have to say my empathy for him is minimal!