O'Byrne Cup 2011

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 17, 2010, 11:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: thejuice on January 29, 2011, 10:10:25 PM
So they are basically playing exactly like last year. A lot of possession and effort but not enough in return. Forwards don't play together at all and I have my doubts if he is the man to get them working. I know it's fairly early in the year and we've seen many line-up changes so wont judge just yet.

Still a good ol game for january and will bring on some of them. Shane O'Rourke had a poor day shooting. Mark Ward gave good and bad in equal measures, Gilespie needs to get his tackling under control but played well and gave some good passes, he gave away far too many frees. Of the new lads Menton and Gilsenan worked hard but Morgan didn't look like he'll be taking anyones place in the forwards.

Brian Farrell worked hard but wasn't involved in taking scores and perhaps he's the one we need as Jinxy say's coming in, in support also Graeme Reilly could fulfill that role. I thought Gary O'Brien and King were good in the backs. Brogan gave Reilly a tough time but he does that to everyone.

It's hard to see any difference in the team from last year but early days as stated earlier

Exactly. The only real personnel change from last year I would make would be to introduce Alan Nestor. Banty just has to get them working together instead of constantly worrying about their own scoring tally.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

Quote from: Rossfan on January 29, 2011, 10:18:45 PM
Thought this thread was about the O'Byrne Cup  ::)
That game tonight was only the final of the losers tournament. :)
Meath need to get rid of that oul pukey short passing they've been saddled with by Banty and play to their strengths.
As for the Dublin lads posing with their 2 layers of shirts...... ffs are they gone totally overboard with nonsense.

:D

thejuice

As for the Dublin lads posing with their 2 layers of shirts...... ffs are they gone totally overboard with nonsense.

Careful Rossfan, some might say your starting to sound backward/reactionary and/or narrow minded.

Would they look better playing in  jeans, a sweatshirt and an anorak   ;)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

laoisgaa

And an obligatory Adidas top thejuice!

Shamrock Shore

Saw about 10 mins at the end of the first half. Was impressed with the pace but the shooting was awful.

Congrats to Dublin - the 2011 Bihatimber champions.

laoisgaa

Hope they look after the Bihatimber well it's a prized possession!

Jinxy

I hope they don't leave it behind them in Coppers.

Hound

good enough entertainment for January. Dubs were coasting along for most of the game, despite being very mixed at midfield and Sheridan and O'Rourke winning every ball that came their way - but they kept kicking the ball wide so didnt put the Dubs under pressure until the last few minutes.

If there was another minute in normal time then Meath probably would have won, but the Dubs upped it in extra time - perhaps made better use of the bench than Meath did.

INDIANA

Early season fare really. Wasn't overly impressed with either side I have to say.
Dublin look short when Bernard is marked well and Meath just aren't good enough at present.
I think midfield could be a serious problem for Dublin this year if either Mc Aulay and Mc Connell get injured and I wouldn't have Mc connell at the forefront of top inter county midfielder's either.
Bryan Cullen was probably Dublin's best player for the 40 mins he played. Connolly put in a decent shift as well for once . The marginalisation of Paddy Andrews continues to beggar belief. Kicked a point when he came on 95% of the Dublin squad aren't capable of doing.
Thought Graham Reilly was outstanding for Meath- he's a terrific player this guy- best wing forward in the country at present.
O Rourke and Sheridan are very good players but need pace around them and Meath look short of anyone to play around them in that department.
Dublin's defence badly needs the Crokes lads back but if we get our full team on the park again we wont be far away. But i dont believe the strength in depth is anywhere near where other observers think it is.

Maguire01

Meath need to get rid of that oul pukey short passing they've been saddled with by Banty and play to their strengths.
I thought the short passing worked. It held possession and moved the ball fairly fast up the field. It all fell apart with the shooting at the end, so i'm not sure how a different delivery into the forward line would have made much of a difference if the forwards couldn't apply the finish. Also, not sure about what Meath's strengths are that they weren't playing to.

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on January 29, 2011, 11:51:22 PM
I hope they don't leave it behind them in Coppers.

Probably safer there then if it was left behind in the Vortex!

heffo

They heard about a shower of partyboys who went away for a weekend and ended up playing pool naked - the Dubs wanted to be double sure this didn't happen them.

Jinxy

Quote from: Hound on January 30, 2011, 08:41:13 AM
good enough entertainment for January. Dubs were coasting along for most of the game, despite being very mixed at midfield and Sheridan and O'Rourke winning every ball that came their way - but they kept kicking the ball wide so didnt put the Dubs under pressure until the last few minutes.

If there was another minute in normal time then Meath probably would have won, but the Dubs upped it in extra time - perhaps made better use of the bench than Meath did.

???

Donnellys Hollow

Kildare 3-09 Louth 2-09

Kildare win the O'Byrne Cup for the first time since 2003 but it didn't look likely entering injury time when Louth led by 2-09 to 1-09. Kildare sent Emmet Bolton through on goal but he was fouled in the square. Roli Sweeney slotted home the penalty to level it up. Kildare won the kickout and Éamonn Callaghan dropped a point attempt short, Keith Cribbin won the break in the square and he drove it into the Louth net.

Louth will probably feel a bit hard done by but Kildare were incredibly wasteful all game. Johnny Doyle should be back for next weekend but a lot of the Kildare forwards are going to have to up their game. I've a feeling we'll struggle at midfield too without Flynn and Earley. Lynch and O'Neill are a bit similar - both fine ball players but both struggled today to win primary possession against Keenan and Carroll. Peter Kelly's loss to the full-back line was evident today. Mick Foley is a fine player but he isn't comfortable in the full-back line and Shane Lennon caused big problems today. I'd hope MacLochlainn will be fit for Belfast because it would free Foley up to move to centre-back.

Bolton, Leper and McGrillen had good games and Roli won plenty of ball when he came on. He should start next week given our problems winning kickouts. Cribbin did his chances no harm either - rattled the crossbar after a great run and finished away the match winning goal confidently. It's only the O'Byrne Cup but it's good to see some silverware!

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Maguire01

Louth don't have much luck!