O'Byrne Cup 2011

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 17, 2010, 11:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 23, 2011, 07:03:21 PM
I've high hopes for Dowling DH - he seems to have settled in well - do you think he'll nail a starting spot for the league?
Even though he got the goal last week the game seemed to pass him by a bit but he was much more lively today. Himself and Moolick will be involved with the u21s too so that might curtail their involvement in the league a bit. With Ballymore in the All-Ireland semi-final I presume Kavanagh won't be available for the first few rounds either but the likes of JD, Rob Kelly and Roli (think his suspension is up now) will be back and hopefully Mikey Conway will finally be able to make a comeback in the next few months. Dowling is still a bit raw and he obviously has plenty of filling out to do but the skill and importantly the confidence/cockiness are there in abundance.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Any craic

INDIANA

Quote from: ross4life on January 22, 2011, 07:08:48 PM
Looking bleak for Offaly,Wexford but Dublin have some strength in depth now.

Offaly were worse then Wexford the previous week. I didnt think that was possible. Some div 2 club teams in Dublin would have beaten that Offaly team yesterday. They were beyond diabolical.

Still the O Byrne Cup Shield is like a one night stand. Here today- forgotten about tomorrow.

Donnellys Hollow

I suppose the Rhode contingent would be the backbone of the Offaly team.

INDIANA

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 23, 2011, 09:25:13 PM
I suppose the Rhode contingent would be the backbone of the Offaly team.

They'd want to be DH. Because most of the Offaly team yesterday would struggle to make a good club side in Dublin. And we're not exactly winning all-ireland senior titles. I'm starting to think we're going to lose some of these counties completely the gap is so big. A lot of that Dublin team yesterday wont start in the NFL.

AZOffaly

Jaysus Indiana, try and be a bit more patronising why don't you? It's January, and it's the O'Byrne Cup, or Shield even.

Tell you what, you worry about Dublin, and we'll worry about Offaly. Thanks anyway.

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 23, 2011, 10:52:02 PM
Jaysus Indiana, try and be a bit more patronising why don't you? It's January, and it's the O'Byrne Cup, or Shield even.

Tell you what, you worry about Dublin, and we'll worry about Offaly. Thanks anyway.

As I saw it I'm afraid. And as I did add- we're not exactly top dog in terms of the standard bearer for Gaelic Football. I'd be as critical of Dublin and have been  in the past if they turned in that yesterday.
I know its mickey mouse but the complete lack of interest was extraordinary.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 23, 2011, 07:15:58 PM
I've high hopes for Dowling DH - he seems to have settled in well - do you think he'll nail a starting spot for the league?
Even though he got the goal last week the game seemed to pass him by a bit but he was much more lively today. Himself and Moolick will be involved with the u21s too so that might curtail their involvement in the league a bit. With Ballymore in the All-Ireland semi-final I presume Kavanagh won't be available for the first few rounds either but the likes of JD, Rob Kelly and Roli (think his suspension is up now) will be back and hopefully Mikey Conway will finally be able to make a comeback in the next few months. Dowling is still a bit raw and he obviously has plenty of filling out to do but the skill and importantly the confidence/cockiness are there in abundance.

It would be great to have Conway back, to use soccer parlance he'd be like a new signing. Dowling will only benefit from working with Geezer and physically you're probably right and heavy winter pitches won't suit but I can see him making an impact, it's great to see Kildare produce so many talented forwards now if we could just discover a new Rainbow or Ryan.
#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Overall a disappointing game from a Westmeath perspective yesterday. 2 points from play is an awful return but there were some encouraging signs all the same. Kildare looked like they were going to steamroll us, going 4 points to no score up after the first 10 mins but in fairness to the lads they knuckled down and toughed it out. The referee was pedantic in the extreme and this along with the Kildare backs being rash in the tackle led to us scoring 5 out of our 6 points from frees in the first half. Kildare tightened up their tackling in the second half which in turn led to us only scoring 1 point out of our 2 mediocre points from a free. The game at times resembled rugby more than football with both sides getting bodies behind the ball looking to break off the shoulder, David Glennon was isolated loads of times with his marker inside with no one else within 40 yards, a long ball inside wasn't even thought about, never mind attempted.

On the positive side, Robbie English looks the real deal at full back, himself and Kieran Gavin are copies of each other, will be interesting to see who ends up where when he comes back. Quinn in goals looks a very capable deputy for Gary, his handling was excellent with the many Kildare attempts that dropped short, made a couple of good stops and he was outrageously pulled for a footblock for having the temerity to come out and save a goal bound shot, as Eddie would say, bollox of a ref. Ger Egan again was everywhere, he is reminiscent of the role Doran Harte played in 08 except for the fact he looks comfortable taking his points, a real find.

Negatives were Glennon in the second half. When Kildare put Bolton on him he just didn't want to know, much like the Wicklow game last year. His passing was of a much poorer quality that the previous two games as well, the reveling in the new role didn't last for too long. Midfield was disappointing as well although Murtagh showed signs of improvement. Kilcoyne was mostly anonymous, has failed to live up to the potential he showed a couple of years ago, would have liked to see more of Daly. Tormey just isn't up to this level, would like to see Coffey being given a chance during the league.

Not overly concerned about loosing the game, didn't want to face Louth in 2 big games in the space of a week so we can now focus our attention on the league game against them Sun week. Couldn't be a tougher start to Div 3 for us, away to our biggest rivals for promotion, vital we get something from the game. A lot of work to be done between now and then, a settled team should be worked on in training with this game in mind. I'd play Dessie and Greville inside and Heslin has to start in the middle, shame we're putting our midfield problems on the shoulders of an 18 year old.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 24, 2011, 10:18:30 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 23, 2011, 07:15:58 PM

It would be great to have Conway back, to use soccer parlance he'd be like a new signing. Dowling will only benefit from working with Geezer and physically you're probably right and heavy winter pitches won't suit but I can see him making an impact, it's great to see Kildare produce so many talented forwards now if we could just discover a new Rainbow or Ryan.

Leper is doing a fairly decent Rainbow impression at the moment. He's been flying in the three games so far. I'd be hopeful either Foley or Chalky (will be back for the NFL) will get a decent run in the half-back line this spring too. Even Flanagan looked a lot leaner when he came on in Mullingar.

Finding a replacement for Kelly has to be the priority. I'd like to see Tommy O'Neill get another go next Sunday. Fitzpatrick has done nothing wrong so far but he'll be marking a better quality of corner forward in a few weeks time.

Maguire01

Meath and Leitrim secure Tuesday wins

Meath selector Paul Grimley tries to seperate Laois' Gary Kavanagh and Bryan Menton of Meath during a heated moment in the O'Byrne Cup Shield tie at Navan - INPHO
25 January 2011

Meath will play Dublin in the O'Byrne Cup Shield final after defeating Laois while Leitrim were easy winners over GMIT.

Meath were 0-11 to 0-8 winners over Laois in Navan. The Royals led by 0-6 to 0-3 at the break at which point Seamus McEnaney switched Paddy O'Rourke, who had scored two points from full forward, into goal. Shane O'Rourke was brought on for Brendan Murphy and kicked four second half points.
Laois, with Ross Munnelly prominent, reduced the deficit to a single point - 0-8 to 0-9 - with five minutes remaining before Meath hit the two final points of the game.

At Kiltubrid Leitrim ran out comfortable 3-14 to 0-7 winners over the college side.

A Colm Maguire goal had Mickey Moran's side ahead by 1-5 to 0-4 at the interval.

Colm Clarke and Conor Kelly bagged second half goals as as Leitrim eased to the win.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=141169

The #1 shirt still isn't safe around Banty!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 25, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Nothing like lads going at it hammer and tongs for the old bihatimber in the depths of January!

thejuice

always good to have a scape with the Dubs but i think this may have come a wee bit early for Banty to have the makings of a  team. Dublin seem to be in good gear and wont have forgotten last years Leinster semi. But still nice to have a trophy to play for even at this early stage.

Menton and Kavanagh can get reacquainted next week when the league starts.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 25, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Meath and Leitrim secure Tuesday wins

Meath selector Paul Grimley tries to seperate Laois' Gary Kavanagh and Bryan Menton of Meath during a heated moment in the O'Byrne Cup Shield tie at Navan - INPHO
25 January 2011

Meath will play Dublin in the O'Byrne Cup Shield final after defeating Laois while Leitrim were easy winners over GMIT.

Meath were 0-11 to 0-8 winners over Laois in Navan. The Royals led by 0-6 to 0-3 at the break at which point Seamus McEnaney switched Paddy O'Rourke, who had scored two points from full forward, into goal. Shane O'Rourke was brought on for Brendan Murphy and kicked four second half points.
Laois, with Ross Munnelly prominent, reduced the deficit to a single point - 0-8 to 0-9 - with five minutes remaining before Meath hit the two final points of the game.

At Kiltubrid Leitrim ran out comfortable 3-14 to 0-7 winners over the college side.

A Colm Maguire goal had Mickey Moran's side ahead by 1-5 to 0-4 at the interval.

Colm Clarke and Conor Kelly bagged second half goals as as Leitrim eased to the win.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=141169

The #1 shirt still isn't safe around Banty!

The ultimate mind game.
Take a scoring forward and stick him in goals in the middle of the game.
The opposition will be so confused they'll probably just curl up in a ball sucking their thumbs, thus allowing us to waltz through unopposed for goal after goal.
A bit like the Dublin game last year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

I have a feeling this is just a taster for the eccentricities to come. Look out for peculiar formations with two keepers and five sweepers, lads being called out of the crowd to tog out and mad tactics involving maoir uisce dragging defenders out of position.

It's going to be fun.