Armagh v Down 2011 Ulster Championship First Round

Started by 6Sams, October 07, 2010, 08:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCMLX

Great draw for both sides, both have scores to settle. A lot of things will happen between now and the first round of the championship, so I`m not going to make any wild predictions. I`d be disappointed to lose this one though. We`ll keep agent O`Rourke in place for at least another season then.  :D

"Paddy O`Rourke, is still An DĂșn"  ;)

ardmhachaabu

Have the Down ones forgotten that Armagh beat them all over the field in the league final ?
If Armagh can get to keep 15 men on the field Down will get bate, again. 

Can anyone remind me the last time Down beat Armagh in the Championship?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Highlander3 on October 08, 2010, 12:07:56 AM
Quote from: Armamike on October 07, 2010, 10:02:45 PM
Its still hard to believe how that Down side got to an All Ireland final, but anyway. Armagh's always a big game for the Down ones, it's their only local rivalry, whereas for Armagh its only one of 4 (Tyrone, Monaghan, Down, Louth).

Good draw for both counties, should help to keep the players focused over the months ahead.   

I do think that Armagh fans hate Down a lot more than Down fans dislike Armagh. And until recent years i dont think we saw Armagh as that big of rivals to Down.
I think there is more rivalry between Down/Armagh among older Armagh fans while the younger ones seem to dislike Tyrone more. Personally I don't mind Down as much due to half my family being from there. That said always good to put them in their box.

Banana Man

Disagree, I would say the down armagh rivarly is the biggest in Ulster IMHO. Especally fi you went to school in Newry, jeysus it was wild.

tough draw, will be good to see the new athletic grounds, what's the official capacity? will no doubt be all ticket

omagh_gael

Armagh by 5.

Down to come back to earth with a bump (more than likely from Ciaran Mc Keever!)

mountainboii

Quote from: omagh_gael on October 08, 2010, 09:54:55 AM
Armagh by 5.

Down to come back to earth with a bump (more than likely from Ciaran Mc Keever!)

This man knows.

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 08, 2010, 08:38:49 AM
Have the Down ones forgotten that Armagh beat them all over the field in the league final ?
If Armagh can get to keep 15 men on the field Down will get bate, again. 

Can anyone remind me the last time Down beat Armagh in the Championship?

1st round 1992 in the Athletic Grounds.

1life 1club

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 07, 2010, 08:53:50 PM
It's good to get one of the weaker counties in the first round for a change.
dont be bitter cos yous got booted around croke park twice this year..
go back to the hole yas have been hiding in since the 99ulster final.lol yous arnt to talkative when down are going poorly,jumping on the bandwagon now.
full forward son

mackers

It's a great draw. The Athletic Grounds will be rocking. Hopefully we can get a few wins there during the league as it wasn't exactly a fortress when we played a few leagues there in 09.

Quote from: Highlander3 on October 08, 2010, 12:07:56 AM
Quote from: Armamike on October 07, 2010, 10:02:45 PM
Its still hard to believe how that Down side got to an All Ireland final, but anyway. Armagh's always a big game for the Down ones, it's their only local rivalry, whereas for Armagh its only one of 4 (Tyrone, Monaghan, Down, Louth).

Good draw for both counties, should help to keep the players focused over the months ahead.   

I do think that Armagh fans hate Down a lot more than Down fans dislike Armagh. And until recent years i dont think we saw Armagh as that big of rivals to Down.
Totally disagree............it all depends on where in the counties that you're from. If you're from South Down/South Armagh then it's a mutual hatred.  Anybody in county Armagh from the city northwards its Tyrone who are the biggest rivals.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

5 Sams

Quote from: 1life 1club on October 08, 2010, 12:09:26 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on October 07, 2010, 08:53:50 PM
It's good to get one of the weaker counties in the first round for a change.
dont be bitter cos yous got booted around croke park twice this year..
go back to the hole yas have been hiding in since the 99ulster final.lol yous arnt to talkative when down are going poorly,jumping on the bandwagon now.

:D :D :D Welcome aboard No Life One Club......you'll learn :D :D
The Aristocrat Years

MCMLX

Jesus I`ve seen it all now, 5Sams accused of jumping on a bandwagon.  ::) Like a few of us, 5Sams has been there through thick and thin. He has seen Down win a few AIs as well.
We have the matter of a league game in Newry to whet the appetite and who can forget what happened in The Marshes in the last league campaign? It wasnt the Down fans leaving early.  :D

mackers

Quote from: MCMLX on October 08, 2010, 01:14:01 PM
Jesus I`ve seen it all now, 5Sams accused of jumping on a bandwagon.  ::) Like a few of us, 5Sams has been there through thick and thin. He has seen Down win a few AIs as well.
We have the matter of a league game in Newry to whet the appetite and who can forget what happened in The Marshes in the last league campaign? It wasnt the Down fans leaving early.  :D
Martin Sludden gave us a hint of things to come by ruining what was turning into a great game. If you want to read a lot into the result of that game go ahead, I think the Armagh team proved in Croke Park that that was a freak result.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

MCMLX

Hell of a goal that Sludden scored in the first minute in that game.  ;) How Our Ma only got 1 player sent off is beyond me. It was a strange game. The Armagh team didnt come out for the first half and their supporters went home in the second half.

Banana Man

QuoteHell of a goal that Sludden scored in the first minute in that game.   How Our Ma only got 1 player sent off is beyond me. It was a strange game. The Armagh team didnt come out for the first half and their supporters went home in the second half.

:D  :D  :D