'Ten...Nine...Eight...Seven...Six...Five.................. - Whacked

Started by drici, September 30, 2010, 07:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drici

The Irish Times - Thursday, September 30, 2010

Poster Bogball XV's Clock-hooter experiment ready to roll

IAN O'RIORDAN Reports

GAELIC GAMES: THE GAA is almost ready for its next experiment in the men's game – this one being the countdown clock and hooter system of match timing, similar to that used in the women's Football Championship for the past number of years.

It will be implemented on an experimental basis during next season's National Football and Hurling Leagues and, if deemed favourable at next year's congress, will be used for all Inter County Championship games in both codes in 2012.

The Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) are checking with all County grounds to make sure the countdown clock and hooter system can be installed in time for the start of the leagues next February.

According to GAA president Christy Cooney, preparations have been going on since the motion to experiment with the system was passed at Congress last April.

"The CCCC are examining it at the moment," said Cooney, "and working to ensure that they will be in place at all grounds where our national league matches happen, and all grounds are able to manage it properly. That is being investigated by CCCC and the examination of all county grounds is ongoing to make sure they are equipped once the national leagues begin in February."

The motion, as passed at congress last April, reads: "That the clock/hooter system be introduced to signal the conclusion of a game following the notification by the fourth official, or other designated person, of the finishing time to include added time to be played.

"This procedure (to) be initially introduced in 2011 on a trial basis for all senior intercounty league games in all divisions in both hurling and football, and if successful, it also be implemented for all intercounty championship games in both codes in 2012."

The issue of match timing, and whether it should be taken out of the hands of the referee, has become increasingly contentious in recent years, particularly as the demands on referees appear to be increasing, and also as the amount of time added on often varies considerably, largely depending on how referees interpret the apparent breaks in play.

The system as used in women's Football sees the countdown clock stopped at every significant break in play, once signalled by the referee.

Last Sunday's women's All Ireland final, for example, although a 60-minute game, actually lasted over 70 minutes – as, including stops, the first half lasted 36 minutes and 40 seconds, and the second half 34:40.

tyssam5

drici

Quote from: tyssam5 on September 30, 2010, 07:56:53 PM

So is there a new official needed to man the clock?

Timely move by GAA is toasted by Clonard

THERE WAS cause for celebration among officials of the Clonard GAA Club when they had a motion implemented during last weekend's annual Congress in County Down.

The Wexford town club sent forward a proposal for a clock/hooter system to be introduced to signal the conclusion of a game, advocating that this be used on a trial basis during next year's National Leagues.

If it proves successful Clonard suggest that it be introduced for all inter-county championship games in both codes from 2012 onwards.

The idea stems from the extremely successful use of this method in all ladies' Gaelic football adult inter-county games since 1998. In that code, the clock starts at 30 minutes and counts down to zero, with a fourth-official taking care of timekeeping.

Any breaks in play for injuries are signalled by the referee, with either an experienced official in the stand or the fourth-official stopping and restarting the clock.

The hooter signals once the clock hits zero.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Are we now going  to have disputes over whether the ball was over the bar before the hooter or is it next dead ball after the hooter?

laoisgaa

Last kick before hooter sounds

Also if a free is awarded and the hooter subsequently sounds before the kick/puck is taken - that free must be scored direct.

As per ladies game

ONeill

Quote from: laoisgaa on September 30, 2010, 11:25:58 PM
Last kick before hooter sounds

Also if a free is awarded and the hooter subsequently sounds before the kick/puck is taken - that free must be scored direct.

As per ladies game

Yea, but what if some lad is swinging back/forward the leg as the hooter sounds?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

laoisgaa

Puckoon

Skeptical - it'd be much better for the ball to have to go dead after the hooter, I think.

Jinxy

I dunno if I like this idea.
Surely it'll just lead to northern teams running into the corners and playing out the clock.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on October 01, 2010, 12:22:55 AM
I dunno if I like this idea.
Surely it'll just lead to northern teams running into the corners and playing out the clock.

On the plus side it stops managers killing the games with a few minutes to go with substitutions. the clock will stop for replacements (I hope).
MWWSI 2017

Logan

I think this is one useful idea they've come up with!

Next can we try game suspensions rather than weeks?

TacadoirArdMhacha

I'd be a lot more positive about the idea if the game wasn't over until, as Hardy suggested, the ball had gone out of ball. I think it'd be very unfair to see a side attacking, looking for a crucial equaliser only for the game to end 2 seconds before they can get their shot away.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead