Has anybody else had enough of Katie Taylor???

Started by Capt Pat, September 20, 2010, 11:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

I would*

* - bearing in mind I am old enough to be her father, happily married yada yada yada

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 21, 2010, 08:23:58 AM
I would*

* - bearing in mind I am old enough to be her father, happily married yada yada yada

#newbridgeornowhere

Tony Baloney

Where does it all end? Women wanting to vote? Wanting jobs?

funtime frankie

What county does she play for?

What position does she play in?

Sandino

Well done Ross coming on to the topic making a comment and then admiting you knew nothing about the topic in the first place. I admire your honesty. I think the comments are pathetic. We have an entire discussion board based on a minority sport so lets not throw stones from our little glass house. Its ironic that this thread knocking one of our own has started when we have a TV show about the greatest Irish person ever which included two Bono, Stephen Gatley and also James Connelly from scotland.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

AZOffaly

Quote from: Sandino on September 21, 2010, 09:40:00 AM
Well done Ross coming on to the topic making a comment and then admiting you knew nothing about the topic in the first place. I admire your honesty. I think the comments are pathetic. We have an entire discussion board based on a minority sport so lets not throw stones from our little glass house. Its ironic that this thread knocking one of our own has started when we have a TV show about the greatest Irish person ever which included two Bono, Stephen Gatley and also James Connelly from scotland.

I don't think the GAA would classify as a 'minority sport' certainly in Ireland. That aside, I agree with you. I think it is only right and proper than an Irish person who is so clearly the top of their chosen international sport is celebrated. She seems like a lovely girl as well, so I say fair play to her.

A lot of people couldn't give two figs about horse racing either, apart from Galway, Cheltenham and the English and Irish Grand Nationals. But horse racing, and the trainers and jockeys, rightfully get lauded for their accomplishments.

I think all of this greatness should be celebrated.

Sandino

I agree AZ that all greatness should be celebrated. needless to say that I was refering to Gaelic Games being a minority sport on a world wide context. Look at the level of acclaim for snooker players and darts players so why should we not celebrate someone who has 3 world titles (boxer of the tournement at the last two world championships) 4  european titles and is unbeaten for 9 years. Fair play to Katie Taylor I say!
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

nrico2006

Quote from: Sandino on September 21, 2010, 10:13:28 AM
I agree AZ that all greatness should be celebrated. needless to say that I was refering to Gaelic Games being a minority sport on a world wide context. Look at the level of acclaim for snooker players and darts players so why should we not celebrate someone who has 3 world titles (boxer of the tournement at the last two world championships) 4  european titles and is unbeaten for 9 years. Fair play to Katie Taylor I say!

She lost a fight recently, but still she has only been beat a few times ever.  She rightly deserves the praise she receives, not many Irish people out there who are the best in the World at a certain sport.  She is, and has been for a while, ranked the best pound for pound amateur boxer in the world.  Is she likely to turn professional after 2012?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hardy

Quote from: Sandino on September 21, 2010, 09:40:00 AMWe have an entire discussion board based on a minority sport

Soccer can hardly be termed a minority sport.

From the Bunker

Connacht football, what is the point? I know Roscommon is the best in the Connacht but it isn't a main stream sport. What is all the media hype about? What is the point? I know Roscommon will get an Connacht medal but it just isn't that big of an achievement in this sport. It probably never will be.

I just think all the press hype is totally out of line for what Roscommon has achieved. I really don't want to hear that I am a begrudger etc. I am not, I can't take anything away from Rocommon, Roscommon is the best amateur team in Connacht who are not amateurs. It is just Roscommon is the most hyped Irish sports team at the moment and Roscommon don't deserve it.

muppet

I think Capt Pat was on the wind up but Ross4life went in (left) hook, line and sinker.

Katie Taylor is a boxing world champion and as worthy of media attention as any other boxing world champion. Calling her 'flavour of the month' must be some sort of personal innuendo leaning on the word flavour as she has been around a lot more than a month.
MWWSI 2017

the colonel

I think the amount of begrudgers of success is ridiculous. She can only defeat who is front of her and fair play to her for being a 3 time world champion.

Katie has also represented (and scored) for Ireland's womens soccer team in UEFA competitions. Great sportswoman
the difference between success and failure is energy

Derry Dolly

Quote from: the colonel on September 21, 2010, 03:06:04 PM
I think the amount of begrudgers of success is ridiculous. She can only defeat who is front of her and fair play to her for being a 3 time world champion.

Katie has also represented (and scored) for Ireland's womens soccer team in UEFA competitions. Great sportswoman

here here.. some of the comments have been disgraceful. the girl is obviously top of her sport, then along come the kill joys. fair play to her!

BallyhaiseMan

gallsman

Unbeaten in 9 years is a little over the top. Was beaten in March/May for the first time since March/May 2007.

Next time Derval O'Rourke wins a minor medal at an insignificant championship I want to see the same people give out about the coverage she gets.