I'm A Mad Down Fan But?

Started by In the Onion Bag, September 20, 2010, 10:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In the Onion Bag

Does any other Down Heads feel, like I do, let down by those who booed every Cork free kick?
I found it sickening and it made me quite ashamed to be associated with the same county.  I should not be made to feel that way. 

I don't know where they get it from but I know they were not brought up they way I was. 
Perhaps it was willfull youth but that's no excuse.  Perhaps they are aping the a worn out the 1990s soccer-type thing that even soccer has since cast off. 

Our beloved GAA should have no place for it. Whoever is at it please have some respect for yourselves and, more importantly, your county and knock it on the head forever. 

I do not visit the Hogan Stand Borad but if anyone who does and who agrees with me please feel free to copy this message over there. 

Lecale2

doubleblues

Totally agree with you, i was really hacked off by the booing, and powerless to do anything about it!

mylestheslasher

Onion - It was poor behavior but what can you do? Success attracts all sorts of hangers on and always will. I think most Ulster men would agree with me that Down would have a decent sort following them.

passedit

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 20, 2010, 10:12:17 PM
Does any other Down Heads feel, like I do, let down by those who booed every Cork free kick?
I found it sickening and it made me quite ashamed to be associated with the same county.  I should not be made to feel that way. 

I don't know where they get it from but I know they were not brought up they way I was. 
Perhaps it was willfull youth but that's no excuse.  Perhaps they are aping the a worn out the 1990s soccer-type thing that even soccer has since cast off. 

Our beloved GAA should have no place for it. Whoever is at it please have some respect for yourselves and, more importantly, your county and knock it on the head forever. 

I do not visit the Hogan Stand Borad but if anyone who does and who agrees with me please feel free to copy this message over there.

I heard there was more than a few who let themselves down in Temple Bar on saturday night as well.

and as for the Lalus chantin ManU shite in Jurys on sunday.  :-[
Don't Panic

T Fearon

Agreed. I think there is a deeper malaise here though. Every 6 county team that appears in Croke Park seems to have a fair number of so called fans who a) hate southern teams and southerners and b) perceive that southerners hate them. Totally illogical but you get more aggressive behaviour from Northern fans in Croke Park for example

sammymaguire

Didn't do much good anyway, Goulding stuck them all over
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: T Fearon on September 20, 2010, 10:23:33 PM
Agreed. I think there is a deeper malaise here though. Every 6 county team that appears in Croke Park seems to have a fair number of so called fans who a) hate southern teams and southerners and b) perceive that southerners hate them. Totally illogical but you get more aggressive behaviour from Northern fans in Croke Park for example

Holy feck Tony, you can talk sense after all.  Glad I encouraged you back to the Board

DuffleKing

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 20, 2010, 10:21:47 PM
Onion - It was poor behavior but what can you do? Success attracts all sorts of hangers on and always will. I think most Ulster men would agree with me that Down would have a decent sort following them.

No better or worse than any other county. every county has their gobshites

In the Onion Bag

WRONG.
Down's free takers enjoyed silence from the Cork fans.  Is it a Munster thing borrowed from Thomand perhaps? Cork fans put ours to shame in this respect.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 20, 2010, 10:57:01 PM

WRONG.
Down's free takers enjoyed silence from the Cork fans.  Is it a Munster thing borrowed from Thomand perhaps? Cork fans put ours to shame in this respect.

Ooh, we need to be careful here. I agree that the jeering is awful, although the Dubs are the worst. However don't suggest that showing respect to free takers is a Thomond Park thing otherwise you'll have the traditionalists on in their thousands suggesting that this is a further ploy by Cooney to let other sports influence how the GAA treats its fans
Careful now

ziggysego

Quote from: T Fearon on September 20, 2010, 10:23:33 PM

I don't know if that's the reason behind it or not. I've often hear Ulster counties boo other Ulster counties, just the same as the counties in the rest of the country do too. It's a nasty element, albeit small element, that is creeping into the mindsets of supporters. It's akin to what you see from other sports and one I had hoped wouldn't be seen within our great sporting association.
Testing Accessibility

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 20, 2010, 10:12:17 PM

Yip.

Funnily enough, you don't hear the booing in the national league games.  ::)

i usse an speelchekor

Mid Down Gael

The booing didnt affect Daniel Goulding anyway, unreal free taking yesterday.

Dougal Maguire

I've heard it suggested that 100% silence in the stadium could actually be more off putting for a free taker than jeering. However regardless of this its still awful and I'm delighted that it was a tactic that didn't work. The sad thing is that most counties have fans to be ashamed of. I'm an Armagh supporter and would agree that we have an awful element that follows us
Careful now