OVER-RATED or under-rated you decide?

Started by lawnseed 2, February 19, 2007, 09:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Most over rated - Ciaran McKeever

Most under ated - Martin O Rourke

tyroneman

Ciaran McKeever COULD become a great player, thankfully he seems more intend on simply being a thug on the pitch and securing a 'reputation' for himself (echoed at club level I believe).

Not that Big Joe will steer him away from all that........................

Over the Bar

Tyroneman,

I dunno how you can say Colin Holmes is overrated?  He's a ulility player and does a sound job when he comes on without being outstanding.  Thats a utility players job & to be a versatile back-up for a variety of positions, which I think he does as well as might be expected.  

nrico2006

Enda McGinley and Joe Mc Mahon definitely are under-rated.  McMahon will come into his own as one of the best around eventually but McGinley gets little credit for his work.  Dooher is under-rated in the scale of things too.  His importance to the team in the role he plays is vast.  McCullagh is another who is a class act and is only now getting the chance to really show it(well due to soccer and injuries).

I think Kieran Donaghey is over-rated, he has been about a few years and did nothing then suddenly hit a purple patch(fair play to him), but I cant see him doing the same this year.

Mark Lynch from Derry is a prime case of a player showing the effects of burnout.  Since 2002 Minor All Ireland he has been play schools/club/county/uni football and hurling.  Through this we have not seen the best of him yet.  Big Geoffrey was definitely under-rated.  Scoring machine in either code.

Darragh O'Se is not maybe under-rated, but I think that the man doesnt get the praise that he deserves.  In the traditional mould of a midfielder, hes the best about and has been since Tohill went.  The best fielder of a ball in the country.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

winsamsoon

Shane Ryan is overweight and i can say with hand on heart i can never remember im having a outstanding game. He has also got more runarounds that a roundabout.

Underated-- Agree with corn Martin o Rourke, A Mc Cann was, Mc Grane never got the recognition he deserved. Mike Frank Russell is a great footballer and so was Johnny Crawley. But then again Kerry can produce them. Anthony Lynch,

Over rated-- Pascal mc connell (bombscare) Whelan, Shane Ryan, Malachy Mackin,

I am sure each one of us could name 6 or seven but they would all be from bigger counties. This is an injustice to the smaller counties because they would have the majority of underated players. Players who could probably grace any team in Ireland.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

mouview

Syd, now you're the one talking about U-21 matches. He lost the '94 final to a Galway side didn't he? To repeat myself, I saw him getting cleaned by Daragh Coen (himself hardly world-class) in the '96 AI semi-final on a wet evening in Ennis, he was FB that day. I'm not deriding him as a person, on the contrary I think he's an admirable sportsman and an excellent role model, just an average hurler. Neither am I speaking on behalf of anyone in Galway, so stay on-message a little bit, there's a good fellow.

The Truth

Maybe if some of the Galway players showed the same discipline & commitment as Sean Og they wouldnt be as far away from Liam Mc Carthy as ever.....
"We serve neither King nor Kaiser"

ArchieAngel

Mouview you keep going on about Daragh Coen taking Sean Og to the cleaners (11 years ago I might add). Does one dodgy performance make you a bad or even average hurler?! Sure I hear Henry Shefflin had a bad runout at under-10 one year. He must be crap.

EugeneGeraghty

OVER-RATED: Alan Brogan, I think he's bit of a headless chicken. Everytime he gets the ball I think they should play the music from some really bad car chase scene in a black and white movie.

UNDER-RATED: Graham Geraghty, this man is one of the most naturally talented players of the last twenty years. The only reason that people do not appreciate his talents is because they are blinded by their unfounded hatred of the man

muppet

MWWSI 2017

mouview

Archie, I am just providing counter-evidence (and one example)  to a point made earlier that 'no-one ever took O'Hailpin to the cleaners' - read the posts man.

Mid Mon

The majority of the dublin team. But this is mainly due to the attention of the media.

The Truth

Quote from: mouview on February 20, 2007, 03:04:56 PM
Archie, I am just providing counter-evidence (and one example)  to a point made earlier that 'no-one ever took O'Hailpin to the cleaners' - read the posts man.

I would have thought we were talking senior intercounty hurling here when this thread was started. But if anyone has any evidence of Sean Og getting cleaned out in an Under 10 blitz or at minor training for Na Piarsigh please let me know.
"We serve neither King nor Kaiser"

realredhandfan

Under rated Sean cavanagh some folk would rather have Darragh O Se - you are welcome.   
Over rated - Daragh O Se

CoolHandLuke

In Antrim football, Michael McCann is very under rated. IMO best club footballer in Antrim, would walk onto any other county team.