If Cork Win

Started by Keepthefaith93, September 17, 2010, 01:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

QuoteBut here's what annoys me - no-one makes a deal over Cork's awful record in All-Ireland Finals, and yet they've lost the last four in succession, and only won 6 out of 22. The only team who can top that kind of failure rate is Mayo, and we all know what we'd be hearing if Mayo were squaring up to the Mournemen on Sunday. Every preview I read at the moment says 'Cork to win'.

That kind of shite gets to me too. Thing is, I suppose they have the hurling to fall back on whereas we don't.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Zulu

I think this 'Cork are hard to watch' stuff is rubbish. Yes, they have been ponderous at times this year but the Dublin/Cork game was very good to watch as were the two games against Kerry in Munster. In other words every time they've come up against a team of similar standard it has been a good game. All teams recycle the ball now and try to wait for the right opportunity to play in the ball, Tyrone certainly do a lot of it as well and all teams have been involved in poor games. Cork have been in more than their fair share of good games and though I'd like to see them play a faster more direct game, which would suit them IMO they aren't a poor team to watch IMO.

johnpower

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on September 17, 2010, 03:41:33 PM
Quote from: Keepthefaith93 on September 17, 2010, 01:17:59 PM
If Cork win on Sunday i believe it will be a travesty for football. I don't think I have ever been so underwhelmed by a team that has made it to an All Ireland final.
The Mexican pundits where very quick to pick faults with Tyrone and Armagh disgracefully labelling what they played as puke football, well give me the so called puke of football Tyrone & Armagh played anyday of the week over the boring, pathetic shite to watch type of football that this current Cork team play.

Hopefully Down do everybody in the country a favour and beat this mind numbingly boring team on Sunday.

You haven't much of a clue do ya boy? ~If want you want good football talk to Limerick or Dublin or Kerry  who insist on packing their defense. Cork put up a record croker score against Donegal last year of 27 points and 1-9 in 20 minutes v Tyrone before a man was sent off. They'd be doing the same this year if teams played them 15 vs 15, but counties are  emulating Kerrys 2nd half spoling tactics in last years AIF.
Cork keep possetion because its stupid to kick a ball in to a forward whose double marked. If you went to a game you would see how little room Cork forwards have.

Bad show all right this spoiling crack

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 17, 2010, 09:36:53 PM
QuoteBut here's what annoys me - no-one makes a deal over Cork's awful record in All-Ireland Finals, and yet they've lost the last four in succession, and only won 6 out of 22. The only team who can top that kind of failure rate is Mayo, and we all know what we'd be hearing if Mayo were squaring up to the Mournemen on Sunday. Every preview I read at the moment says 'Cork to win'.

That kind of shite gets to me too. Thing is, I suppose they have the hurling to fall back on whereas we don't.

I get your point guys but Galway 9 wins & runners up 13 times would more like Cork (especially if they win this Sunday) & Cork to win with most pundits because they believe the only team that can beat them is Kerry
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: balladmaker on September 17, 2010, 08:40:34 PM
Quoteare you well? this year has been the best in a long long time regarding quality and entertaining matches

I'm very well, thanks...how's about yourself?

You must not have attended the Ulster Finals between Armagh & Tyrone, never mind the other numerous Ulster Championship games, not to forget a cracker All Ireland semi final in 2005.

As for this year, some pretty football, not much quality.  An average team rarely wins an All Ireland, however, this Sunday could be the exception, and I wish the winners well.

Are people never happy? If this final was being contested between two of Cork, Kerry, Tyrone, the whole country would be calling for a shake up to the format, that the same teams are at the top and that something has to be done to freshen everything up.

Four teams in Down, Kildare, Roscommon and Dublin come in and do inject a bit of interest, beat some of the old guard, beat provincial champions and it is now called an average all-ireland, not just on this board but all over the media. As if the teams mentioned aren't worthy.

And that the format isn't right when four provincial champions are knocked out.
The four teams mentioned above will no doubt have given hope to countless other counties for next year.

And the feeling in the General Public? Paddy Power bets have gone up 22% on last years final, with 75% of bets being put on Down. Now that might reflect the generous odds that Down have, but moreover it reflects an increased interest in this final.

Was talking to an Armagh AI winner yesterday and he can't get tickets - he was told that no tickets were coming back from other counties, such was the interest.

And to dumb down a championship where classy teams have perservered all year to try and win Sam by saying it has been an average all ireland is just wrong.

Average All Ireland me hole

Feckin Begrudgers
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: balladmaker on September 17, 2010, 08:40:34 PM
Quoteare you well? this year has been the best in a long long time regarding quality and entertaining matches

I'm very well, thanks...how's about yourself?

You must not have attended the Ulster Finals between Armagh & Tyrone, never mind the other numerous Ulster Championship games, not to forget a cracker All Ireland semi final in 2005.

As for this year, some pretty football, not much quality.  An average team rarely wins an All Ireland, however, this Sunday could be the exception, and I wish the winners well.

an average team that completely outplayed the might tyrone last year? some nerve to call cork an average team. a team that can get to an all ireland without having played near their potential, shows just how good they are

norabeag

Well if Cork do win fair dues to them, definitely have the personnel, but we go with a fair degree of confidence and hope.
There is a real build up of excitement around Down, but tinged with a touch of realism that  we will have to be at our best to win. Nevertheless Wee James has that win win mentality and here's to a great day out and all that is good about our games.  Hope that Down supporters give credit to the team for giving us our day in the sun which none of us really expected 9 months ago.An Dún Abú.

The Worker

I would have loved to have seen Kildare v Down all ireland final, that game was worthy of it

Kerry Mike

I am swaying towards a Cork win, they have been a huge embarrassment representing Munster football over the years in Croke Park with their pitiful 6 All Irelands and with Kerry not a threat to them anymore this year it's time we all got behind the little counties in Munster and stand shoulder to shoulder with our provincial comrades.

Where we sported and played......Naw f**k it doesn't read well.

C'mon Down
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

MCMLX

Good man Mike. Thought you were going soft on us there for while.

jas376

If Cork win on Sunday i believe it will be a travesty for football.

Really? Where's the travesty?  If Cork wins, what exactly .....?  Yeah, nothing  Cork just win - that's all.  What was your point in starting such a ridiculous thread in the first place?
       Cork has been one of the best football  teams in the countriy over the past number of years -  they play a particular brand of football which suits them.They are amateur players and their objective is to win, that's all, not to entertain people like you. If you want entertainment then go to the cinema or somewhere - there are many people in the entertainment industry who are being paid to entertain people like you. The Cork footballers owe you nothing.
       Up The Rebels!

johnpower

Quote from: jas376 on September 19, 2010, 07:26:31 PM
If Cork win on Sunday i believe it will be a travesty for football.

Really? Where's the travesty?  If Cork wins, what exactly .....?  Yeah, nothing  Cork just win - that's all.  What was your point in starting such a ridiculous thread in the first place?
       Cork has been one of the best football  teams in the countriy over the past number of years -  they play a particular brand of football which suits them.They are amateur players and their objective is to win, that's all, not to entertain people like you. If you want entertainment then go to the cinema or somewhere - there are many people in the entertainment industry who are being paid to entertain people like you. The Cork footballers owe you nothing.
       Up The Rebels!

Congrats Jas enjoy