Belfast Telegraph

Started by Pangurban, September 10, 2010, 03:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Did any of you read  the article in tonights edition of the Tele,  by a so called columnist named Julie Burchill. It was an ill informed,sectarian, hate filled rant against the Pope,the Church and catholics in general, which would equal if not exceed the worst excesses of Paisleys Protesant Telegraph in its hey-day. If such an article had been penned about the Muslim religion it would have sparked fury around the world, and rightly so. I believe a case could be made against the Tele, under the incitement to hatred act, and would exhort the Church or some influential lay groups within it to consider such an action. No religious body should be subjected too such ignorant and prejudiced trash being published as opinion, masquerading as fact. in the pages of Newspaper which claims to be liberal and non-sectarian. If there is not an uproar about this article, then we can only assume that this socety has abandoned all pretence of upholding values of balance,tolerance,and decency, and our Catholic Church leaders and laity have become gutless worms.

MCMLX

Quote from: Pangurban on September 10, 2010, 03:22:25 AM
If there is not an uproar about this article, then we can only assume that this socety has abandoned all pretence of upholding values of balance,tolerance,and decency, and our Catholic Church leaders and laity have become gutless worms.

I havent read the article, cant find it online and I dont buy the Tele,  but as for your leaders, what else can you expect from the people who abused generations of children or those who covered up the abuse by their peers. Your leaders are rotten from the top down and I mean the very top.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Pangurban on September 10, 2010, 03:22:25 AM
Did any of you read  the article in tonights edition of the Tele,  by a so called columnist named Julie Burchill. It was an ill informed,sectarian, hate filled rant against the Pope,the Church and catholics in general, which would equal if not exceed the worst excesses of Paisleys Protesant Telegraph in its hey-day. If such an article had been penned about the Muslim religion it would have sparked fury around the world, and rightly so. I believe a case could be made against the Tele, under the incitement to hatred act, and would exhort the Church or some influential lay groups within it to consider such an action. No religious body should be subjected too such ignorant and prejudiced trash being published as opinion, masquerading as fact. in the pages of Newspaper which claims to be liberal and non-sectarian. If there is not an uproar about this article, then we can only assume that this socety has abandoned all pretence of upholding values of balance,tolerance,and decency, and our Catholic Church leaders and laity have become gutless worms.
Controversy is Julie Burchill's currency. Best ignored although the Tele's readership will lap it up.

theskull1

Some wild diatribe in that article.....typical appeal to the dumb demographic of your readership rubbish no different to the NOTW etc etc

Bits of ugly truths about the Catholic Church though which will not be taken on board by catholics regardless of how she put them. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Main Street

She makes Myles the Slasher appear almost tolerant and liberal  ;D

I don't know this journalist but strange that she manages to get in a lengthy reference to women who have been treated badly/betrayed.
Sounds like Julie was let down by some man, grew horns after and keeps them sharp with her hate.

theskull1

Yeah she reminds me of Millie Tant from Viz

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on September 10, 2010, 10:14:09 AM
She makes Myles the Slasher appear almost tolerant and liberal  ;D

I don't know this journalist but strange that she manages to get in a lengthy reference to women who have been treated badly/betrayed.
Sounds like Julie was let down by some man, grew horns after and keeps them sharp with her hate.
She's a well known "firebrand" feminist journalist in England. Was married to Tony Parson's and has got a lot of mileage out of a feud with him. So you're spot on.

johnneycool

I didn't realise that John Terry and Ashley Cole were of catholic upbringing!

Is there a bit of catholic blood in the bold Iris as well??

Zapatista

You owe me 2 minutes Pangurban

blewuporstuffed

just read that there, i am also now owed 2 minutes of my life back.
While i'm not a fan of the church either, some of the stuff in that is pure sectarian drivel
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Banana Man

Tony Parsons is a right bitter wee twisted man too imo

Onlooker

Quote from: johnneycool on September 10, 2010, 10:27:59 AM
I didn't realise that John Terry and Ashley Cole were of catholic upbringing!

Is there a bit of catholic blood in the bold Iris as well??
Was'nt Iris Robinson's name Collins before she was married.  Sounds like a good Republican name to me.  I read one time that she has Catholic relations in England.  Maybe she just ended up in the wrong political party and would have been more at home in Dail Eireann!!.

MCMLX

I am surprised that so many "Gaels" actually read the Belfast Telegraph.

whiskeysteve

QuoteAnd her husband has been acting exactly as Catholic men are expected to — choosing one sort of woman to marry, and another sort to have sex with. The first time he visited hookers she was a virgin; the second she was pregnant. Seems pretty prayer book/textbook to me.

This is what is expected of Catholic men? By who? weird

QuoteBeing a Catholic means always having to say you're sorry — but also being guaranteed that you'll be forgiven to go on and do all the vile things you've done ad nauseum.

again weird sweeping generalisation

just a bizarre, bitter rant. what is the point of it?

Its actually so bad you cant begin to dissect it on any intellectual level whatsoever, it really is just a load of old bollocks  :D

I am reminded a bit of Jan Moirs homophobic diatribe in the wake of Stephen gatelys death

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1220756/A-strange-lonely-troubling-death--.html
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w