12 year old girl murdered

Started by the Deel Rover, September 01, 2010, 11:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

i can't see another thread on this so maybe it just shows how accustomed with now are with murders in Ireland but i think it  is one of the most shocking  cases in Ireland in recent times . What is going through some 18 year old head that he decides to kill a 12 year old . Christ she is only 4 years older than my wee girl and i just can't get my head around it. 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Banana Man

lynchbhoy

the Deel Rover

It's just so shocking

Michaela was raped, beaten and strangled

Monday August 30 2010

A 12-YEAR-OLD schoolgirl whose body was found dumped in thick undergrowth beside a canal had been raped, beaten and strangled.

Gardai believe Michaela Davis, who had just started secondary school last Thursday, knew her killer.

A team of 80 officers spent yesterday combing the banks of the Royal Canal at Porterstown, near Blanchardstown in west Dublin, and carrying out house-to-house inquiries while members of the garda water unit searched the canal bottom.

A large area running from the canal to Michaela's family home at the Village in Porterstown was cordoned off.

Her bicycle was found a short distance away yesterday morning and that location was also sealed off for forensic examination.

Last night, gardai maintained a presence outside the family's semi-detached house in the leafy estate while the road remained closed off to all except residents.

A 19-year-old man was being questioned by gardai last night on suspicion of being involved in a serious assault after presenting himself at Blanchardstown station on Saturday evening. He was accompanied by his father.

It is believed that the schoolgirl, who had her first day at Luttrellstown Community College on Thursday, had been hanging around with older teenagers and young adults in recent times and may have been vulnerable.

She spent Friday with friends and returned home to her family. At around midnight, she told her parents she was going out for a while on her bicycle and would be back shortly. Investigating gardai believe Michaela had arranged to meet a particular individual.

When she failed to return home, her parents raised the alarm shortly after 2am.

Gardai immediately began a search for the child and the garda helicopter was drafted in to search from the air.

However, her partially clothed body was not discovered until more than 12 hours later by an elderly man out walking along the canal bank just before 4pm.

Dumped

The body was found dumped in thick undergrowth in a heavily wooded area between the canal and an adjoining railway line and surrounded by waste ground. The location is less than a mile from her family home.

State Pathologist Marie Cassidy visited the scene and the body was removed to James Connolly Memorial Hospital in Blanchardstown where a post-mortem began at 11am yesterday.

It is understood that the girl was raped, beaten and strangled before her body was dumped at the scene. Gardai believe her body may have been moved a short distance after she was killed before being dumped in the undergrowth.

Locals yesterday said the canal path was a no-go area after dark.

Michaela's bike was found between her home and the location where her body was dumped.

Family members and friends were yesterday rallying to support Michaela's parents, Brendan and Deirdre, and her brother Brendan (16). They are said to be "devastated" by the horrific death of the schoolgirl.

Gardai moved to reassure the community in Porterstown that their investigation is progressing well. However, they appealed for anyone with information on Michaela's last movements to come forward.

Superintendent John Gilligan said: "We have a person in custody but we have not pieced together fully what took place and why this happened.

"There will be a sense of fear, a sense of tension; but from the point of view of the gardai, the community can be assured everything is being done and we're moving well with the investigation," he added.

He said up to 80 gardai were involved in the investigation and that an incident room had been set up.

"What we want is that anybody with any information, background information, information about what took place Friday night, Saturday, any time in the area of Porterstown bridge, the canal, come forward. People were perhaps out walking late, driving by late," he said.

Undergrowth

Late yesterday evening, gardai continued their forensic examination, with additional staff drafted in to help comb through the dense undergrowth where her body was found.

Last night, neighbours declined to comment but said their sympathies were with the family. Her young friends set up a Facebook tribute page.

One friend, Triona Priestly, said: "The last conversation I had with her was the day after our confirmation. It never crossed my mind that that was the last conversation that I would EVER have with Michaela. May her soul rest peacefully. Goodbye Michaela, you'll never be forgotten."

Anyone with information is asked to contact Blanchardstown gardai on 01-6667032, call the Garda Confidential Telephone Line on 1800 666111 or make contact with any member of the gardai.

Irish Independent
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Geoff Tipps

QuoteAt around midnight, she told her parents she was going out for a while on her bicycle and would be back shortly

Life has changed since I was 12. My parents would have kicked my arse down to my room.

Zapatista

Where is that article from Deel? I've no intention of reading it through.

Very sad. She was found were I often walk the dog and for some reason it makes it more shocking if that were possible. It reminded me of the case of Sylvia flemming in Omagh about 10 years ago. Left the whole place numb.

shawshank

absolutely shocking and it makes me sick.

Also

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 01, 2010, 12:19:01 PM
QuoteAt around midnight, she told her parents she was going out for a while on her bicycle and would be back shortly

Life has changed since I was 12. My parents would have kicked my arse down to my room.

your right, what parent with half a brian cell would let their kid of 12 go out on their bike at midnight FFS. Surely there has to be more to this part of the story

the Deel Rover

Monday s irish independent zap
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Banana Man

That is savage. As someone said she shouldn't have been out but that's not relevant right now, the fact is what happened to the poor wee child. God love her.

Zapatista

Quote from: Banana Man on September 01, 2010, 12:57:30 PM
That is savage. As someone said she shouldn't have been out but that's not relevant right now, the fact is what happened to the poor wee child. God love her.

That's the bit that really annying me. The ammount of people who have the whole case summed up and the parents blamed based on the report that she informed he parents she would be back in a few minutes and that it was late at night. It seems to have taken over everything else.

shawshank

Quote from: Zapatista on September 01, 2010, 01:08:50 PM

That's the bit that really annying me. The ammount of people who have the whole case summed up and the parents blamed based on the report that she informed he parents she would be back in a few minutes and that it was late at night. It seems to have taken over everything else.

annoyed, more puzzled?

mannix

we have become immune to this type of thing. remember last christmas when the 1 year was raped and had her back broken before she died? and by the way it could be midnight or midday, if the likes of that fella got his opportunity time means nothing.
Horrible people everywhere you go, its just that most of them hide it very well.

lilpaulie85

Having said that would you leave a 12 year old head off on their bike at midnight cause i certainly wouldn't.
Chase the dream not the competition.

Rav67

Quote from: lilpaulie85 on September 01, 2010, 01:50:47 PM
Having said that would you leave a 12 year old head off on their bike at midnight cause i certainly wouldn't.

She might have said she was popping 50 yards down the road to the neighbours' house.  You'd hardly expect that kind of thing to happen in your own area.

ziggysego

Quote from: Zapatista on September 01, 2010, 01:08:50 PM

Couldn't agree more. A horrible murder, yet people are losing focus. Granted, she shouldn't have been out and about with her bike at 12am, but she was murdered!
Testing Accessibility