Downs All Ireland Banquet

Started by panc56, August 31, 2010, 03:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: naka on September 20, 2010, 02:04:46 PM

this is why most armagh fans fking hate down with a vengeance,

Ah, So it's not jealousy then.. ;)

T Fearon

Jealous? Why? After all, Down haven't beaten Armagh in the Championship for nearly 20 years, and a young transitional Armagh team beat Down in a National Final at Croke Park this year by two points, while Cork could only manage a

JMohan

Quote from: Hardy on September 01, 2010, 10:38:45 AM
Quote from: ross4life on September 01, 2010, 01:55:08 AM
Where did Down stay in 1991 & 94?

In front.

Anyone else remember that banner?

'The Man in front is Mickey Linden'

T Fearon

a 1 point win yesterday.

Armagh have been far in the ascendancy for at least ten years and there is evidence now to suggest Down are chokers on the big days at Croker as yesterday and this year's NFL Div 2 Final proves.

Down this year should inspire every middle of the road county as to what can be achieved in the modern era, with hard work, luck of the draw in the qualifiers, and referees who cannot discern square ball infringements.

T Fearon

They had a replica of that banner on the hill yesterday only Linden's name was replaced with Coulter.

The funniest banner I saw though was "Brolly for the bullshit, Cork for Sam!" :D

Brick Tamlin

I thought it said "Marty Clarke is big DOWN under".
Still would love to know why you hate Down so much Hardstation.

Aaron Boone

I can see why you'd feel letdown at a massive banquet, but the one after the AI is something I'd love to attend just once to get the jist for myself.

As for Citywest, I stayed there once and wasn't a fan. Too big is ok if you have the staff to support it, but they clearly didn't - the reception desk was tiny and the breakfast area was like a works canteen. No manager or someone-in-charge anywhere to be seen. A major chain like Hilton or Marriott would do a fine job with it actually.

Dubh driocht

Catering for 1600 must be a nightmare but this event is primarily for the players, their families and friends. While Kielty clearly wasn't everyone's cup of tea,I thought he was funny and did the almost impossible job of lifting our spirits.I can't imagine what it would have been like if we had won.

Leo

Quote from: Dubh driocht on September 20, 2010, 07:46:59 PM
Catering for 1600 must be a nightmare but this event is primarily for the players, their families and friends. While Kielty clearly wasn't everyone's cup of tea,I thought he was funny and did the almost impossible job of lifting our spirits.I can't imagine what it would have been like if we had won.

It is not primarily for the players and their families - I would say they find it a nightmare, especially after defeat. It is (or at least in this caase clearly was) a money making exercise for the county board.

AS for Kielty, funny does not belong in the same language. He spent the first 5 minutes trying to get people to cheer hhis own introdcution of himself ( a reflection of the disinterested responese he initially received) he then proceeded wit ha charade of "pretending we won" which was an insult to the players. It was all downhill after that and if this is the so-called "Down Way" then it is a new way and one not to be welcomed.

In contrast a great turn-out at Newry tonight were treated to a dignified and really uplifting genuine speech from Ambrose Rodgers that would rally any troups.
Fierce tame altogether

doubleblues

Re Banquet- 
Food and waiter service dire, more door staff on duty than waiting staff - priority obviously on income generation not service ouput- more PLC guff Paddy Kielty - unimaginative and crass, his Kelly Brooke comment totally out of place
Cringe worthy interviews from guys who would rather be anywhere rather than on that stage
Chaotic shambles of a start to the evening- some guys enjoying a free reception elsewhere whilst the masses waited... and waited...
Given that we had just lost an AI however i thought the mood amongst the majority of attendees was positive and even the rain sodden walk back to the bus, bad organisation, poor food and crap service  - didnt detract from that great feeling of being being a down man, it was brilliant to be amongst so many proud Down people, gracious in defeat  and focused on the future!
In the wee small hours i stumbled upon a tete a tete between wee James, Paddy Mo and Micky Linden- a fatherly stance from Paddy Mo and Mickeys hand resting on james shoulder reassuring and sincere- i went to bed content that the future of Down football was in good hands -a special memory from a day i didnt think i would see

T Fearon

Down people have hardly discerning palates in any event. In a q&a session in last week's Irish News, Benny's retort to the favourite food question was Friar Tucks :D. He'll not be bumping into Gordon Ramsey anytime soon ;D

Brick Tamlin

Hilarious altogether.

Really.

seriously.

Friar Tucks...Gordonn Ramsay (Ba-dum-tish!!)

Its the way you tell them Tony

T Fearon

FFS, Who when asked to name their favourite food, would say "Friar Tucks!" I mean, FFS,  :D. I bet even the dimmest Premiership soccer player woulod come up with something more sophisticated, like steak and chips or something

Now that he's been to Croke Park a few times perhaps next year Benny will upgrade his taste, to the Croke Park Hot Dog, Drink and Grab bag meal deal :D

Brick Tamlin

Yes Tony, you're right (as always) what was Benny Coulter thinking.
I mean, even the dimmest premiership soccer player could come with something more sophisticated like stealk and chips.

That one about the Croke Park hot dog, drink & grab bag meal deal is definitely a keeper.

How do you think these up, your material is up there with the best.

Tell us another nugget.

Please.

doubleblues

From what i hear Tony, you are brave and fond of Friar tucks yourself ,maybe even a little john ln the making ...unlike Benny of course... you dont do the GIGO bit - ya know garbage in garbage out!

Whilst  i know i should ignore you, quoting trivia from a space filling folly in the the Irish news is a new low  in half assed put downs - get a life! ya sadsack