Down cheats must offer Kildare a replay

Started by T Fearon, August 29, 2010, 09:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

A few things regarding this game lads.

Firstly the square ball rule is general is a load of bollox and needs to be removed from the game, coulter fairly jumps with two Kildare men and fisted the ball to the net. This is a skill and should not be ruled out because he is in a square that is never looked at by any player only on 45's perhaps and is very difficult to call. Having said that according to the rules it was the clearesy cut square ball you will see.

Secondly, Kildare should have undoubtedly got another point whilst kicking into the hill end. It was clearly over the bar and should not have been missed by the umpires.

Thirdly, Kildares goal should have been a free in and nothing more, if the ref didn't award a free in then it should have been a free out for overcarrying. So this was equally a breach of the rules like the down goal.

Fourthly, The incident at the end where the Mc kernan did actually touch the ball on the ground but it was outside the small rectangle. The rules states that a ball touched on the ground inside the big square but outside the small one is deemed a technical foul and should result in a 14 yard free kick. Mc Kernan then did go into the small square and lay on the ball but the original incident occured outside the small square so it should only have been a free in. For me this was the strangest decision of the day when Mc Enaney signalled for a hop ball. It was a cop out and i thought Mc Enanaey was stronger .

But all in all lads this was a wonderful game of football with so many great individual performances particularly by the Down lads. There is always going to be controversy and it is part and partial of the game. However in this game some decisions were crucial and very influential. But to say that is affected the result of the game is inconclusive as no one knows what would have happened. What we do know is thast Down are through to the final and good luck to them against cork. I'm an Armagh man and if i was from Kildare it may be hard to swallow but lets not let these incidents overshadown the great game served up to us by those lads yesterday.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Donnellys Hollow

Was Coulter in the square before the ball?
Yes

Should McEneaney and the two statues behind the goal have spotted this?
Yes

Was an Alan Smith point wrongly flagged wide?
Yes (From my vantage point in the stand)

Did Leper overcarry before his goal?
Yes

Should Kildare have been awarded a penalty in injury time?
Possibly

Did any of these decisions directly affect the result?
Who knows

Were Down the better team on the day?
Undoubtedly, yes

Does any of this matter now?
No

Can people please stop all this sh1te talk about this match now - my head hurts! Down were better than us. Good luck to them. Of course Coulter's goal should not have stood but Shorty should have done better regardless. Most Kildare folk have accepted it just wasn't our day and will move on. Can people from other counties not do the same?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ziggysego

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 30, 2010, 05:29:31 PM
Most Kildare folk have accepted it just wasn't our day and will move on. Can people from other counties not do the same?

The OP is one of the board's most famous WUMs. Sure he only came back after a long absence to doo-doo stir again. It's amazing so many people took the bait.
Testing Accessibility

moysider

Quote from: winsamsoon on August 30, 2010, 05:27:26 PM
A few things regarding this game lads.

Firstly the square ball rule is general is a load of bollox and needs to be removed from the game, coulter fairly jumps with two Kildare men and fisted the ball to the net. This is a skill and should not be ruled out because he is in a square that is never looked at by any player only on 45's perhaps and is very difficult to call. Having said that according to the rules it was the clearesy cut square ball you will see.

Secondly, Kildare should have undoubtedly got another point whilst kicking into the hill end. It was clearly over the bar and should not have been missed by the umpires.

Thirdly, Kildares goal should have been a free in and nothing more, if the ref didn't award a free in then it should have been a free out for overcarrying. So this was equally a breach of the rules like the down goal.

Fourthly, The incident at the end where the Mc kernan did actually touch the ball on the ground but it was outside the small rectangle. The rules states that a ball touched on the ground inside the big square but outside the small one is deemed a technical foul and should result in a 14 yard free kick. Mc Kernan then did go into the small square and lay on the ball but the original incident occured outside the small square so it should only have been a free in. For me this was the strangest decision of the day when Mc Enaney signalled for a hop ball. It was a cop out and i thought Mc Enanaey was stronger .

But all in all lads this was a wonderful game of football with so many great individual performances particularly by the Down lads. There is always going to be controversy and it is part and partial of the game. However in this game some decisions were crucial and very influential. But to say that is affected the result of the game is inconclusive as no one knows what would have happened. What we do know is thast Down are through to the final and good luck to them against cork. I'm an Armagh man and if i was from Kildare it may be hard to swallow but lets not let these incidents overshadown the great game served up to us by those lads yesterday.

After watching it a few times I came to the conclusion that McKiernan did not foul the ball inside the largel square. When he knocked it back it was slightly off the ground and nothing wrong with that. It was only when the ball rolled over the line back into the small square did he touch it on the ground and lie on it. We can only assume that the ref didn't see it because if he had a penalty would have been the correct decision. It s just a lucky break for Down I quess. These things happen.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: ziggysego on August 30, 2010, 05:33:09 PM
Most Kildare folk have accepted it just wasn't our day and will move on. Can people from other counties not do the same?

The OP is one of the board's most famous WUMs. Sure he only came back after a long absence to doo-doo stir again. It's amazing so many people took the bait.

I wasn't referring to Tony with that comment Ziggy. I'd just hate to see the same hysteria that followed the Leinster Final to take away from Down's win yesterday. Refereeing calls went against us yesterday, just like they have in the past and will again in the future. That's football and no amount of whinging will change the result. Move on people!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

supersub

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 30, 2010, 04:12:13 PM
Quote from: supersub on August 30, 2010, 01:07:36 PM
Too true! It was never a pen at the end, 14 yard free is the rules!

Not inside the small square. That's a penalty.

It was outside the small square when he touched it, 14 yard free.

Dinny Breen

QuoteThat's football and no amount of whinging will change the result. Move on people!

Hear, hear. It wasn't our day, we've had a fantastic summer and we'll be back, the production line in Kildare is finally in full swing..
#newbridgeornowhere

5 Sams

Was Coulter in the square before the ball?
Yes

Should McEneaney and the two statues behind the goal have spotted this?
Yes

Was an Alan Smith point wrongly flagged wide?
Yes (From my vantage point in the stand)

Did Leper overcarry before his goal?
Yes

Should Kildare have been awarded a penalty in injury time?
Possibly

Did any of these decisions directly affect the result?
Who knows

Were Down the better team on the day?
Undoubtedly, yes

Does any of this matter now?
No

Can people please stop all this sh1te talk about this match now - my head hurts! Down were better than us. Good luck to them. Of course Coulter's goal should not have stood but Shorty should have done better regardless. Most Kildare folk have accepted it just wasn't our day and will move on. Can people from other counties not do the same?

Fair play DH. You have summed it up perfectly apart from one minor faux pas that I have highlighted above. I had a perfect view of the incident from the Canal end and it was a stonewall penalty. We got out of jail but deserved to win because I THINK we were the better team overall. Felt really sorry for John Doyle and that may be his swansong.
The Aristocrat Years

Dougal Maguire

Fair play to you too for admitting it was a penalty. I think DH's point is a fair one the complaints are all coming from people from counties other than Kildare. I'm an Armagh man, I was in Newry today and the buzz around the place is unreal. It's going to be a long month for us, but fair play to Down and good luck to them in the final.
Careful now

Orior

Hats of to Dinny Breen and Donnellys Hollow - gracious in defeat.

You are the sort of boys I wouldn't mind a pint or a round of golf with.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

eyeswideopen

A lot on here being made of "The Benny Goal" changing the course of the game.
All hypothetical!! Had Down not already the goal on the scoreboard would P.McComskey have fisted over the bar or gone for goal???
Would P. Fitzpatrick have fisted over instead of taking advantage of a clear cut goal opportunity??
We will never know. But in my opinion Down were always capable of getting the better of the Kildare defence.
Great spirit showed by Kidare to almost nick it at the end.
PME got the hop ball correct at the end as Mckernan was being pushed down onto the ball and may have touched it on the ground. Would have been harsh to give penalty or a free out.

dodgy umpire

Fair play to the majority of posters from our neighbours/arch rivals in Armagh, wishing us well and praising our football. Part of what makes the GAA great.
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Orior

Quote from: dodgy umpire on August 30, 2010, 07:59:30 PM
Fair play to the majority of posters from our neighbours/arch rivals in Armagh, wishing us well and praising our football. Part of what makes the GAA great.

And sure Tony Fearon lives in County Down, so its gracious of him to call for a replay, lol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

jodyb

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 30, 2010, 04:15:34 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 30, 2010, 03:44:12 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on August 30, 2010, 02:48:13 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 30, 2010, 12:44:52 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on August 30, 2010, 12:38:08 PM
say what you want, but anyone who called for the louth to be offered a replay, should be demanding exactly the same in this instance.  There was the score wrongly disallowed, the clear square ball goal, the penalty at the end etc etc, all in all, a much more pressing case than in the Louth v Meath game.
cant see how you could compare both games apart from controversy at the end of each !

yesterdays game was the tale of two illegal goals. Then there was a minor incident at the end regarding was it a free out, free in or penalty.
Kildare so far from all I have heard, seen or read have not moaned about the last minute incident.
I wasnt calling for a louth/meath replay either - the game upheld the current rules.
Thats why I would look for video evidence, second ref etc for the future and guaranteed correct officiation !
i don't see the difference between them at all, goal allowed that should have been a free out for square ball (in the first instance in the louth game) was the winning score.  You can talk about the kildare goal cancelling out the down goal all you want, but what about the legitimate point that was disallowed, that really was the difference, kildare would have tapped over their last free and the game would have been a draw.
while mathematically correct, its a rather simplistic view of it old chum imo !
you leave out where it was imo quite obv where the ref gifted a few frees to even up the game after the Down goal..

all academic now though !
all i'm saying is that there's feck all difference in this game and the louth game imo, refereeing mistakes were made which probably changed the outcome of the game, so why not an outcry for a replay - Fearon has a point this time.
Gotta disagree with you on that BB. Square ball indiscretions and taking too many steps will always be part of the game and even the best of officials will miss them on occasion. Players will always push that boundary to some extent and will often get away with it, sure we won an Ulster championship on the back of a square ball decision that went against Donegal in '98. None of us went on about offering them a replay. What Sheridan did was so deliberate and completely dishonest (and he knew it) that I don't recall as low an action that I could compare it with.

jodyb

Quote from: jodyb on August 30, 2010, 09:27:41 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on August 30, 2010, 04:15:34 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 30, 2010, 03:44:12 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on August 30, 2010, 02:48:13 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 30, 2010, 12:44:52 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on August 30, 2010, 12:38:08 PM
say what you want, but anyone who called for the louth to be offered a replay, should be demanding exactly the same in this instance.  There was the score wrongly disallowed, the clear square ball goal, the penalty at the end etc etc, all in all, a much more pressing case than in the Louth v Meath game.
cant see how you could compare both games apart from controversy at the end of each !

yesterdays game was the tale of two illegal goals. Then there was a minor incident at the end regarding was it a free out, free in or penalty.
Kildare so far from all I have heard, seen or read have not moaned about the last minute incident.
I wasnt calling for a louth/meath replay either - the game upheld the current rules.
Thats why I would look for video evidence, second ref etc for the future and guaranteed correct officiation !
i don't see the difference between them at all, goal allowed that should have been a free out for square ball (in the first instance in the louth game) was the winning score.  You can talk about the kildare goal cancelling out the down goal all you want, but what about the legitimate point that was disallowed, that really was the difference, kildare would have tapped over their last free and the game would have been a draw.
while mathematically correct, its a rather simplistic view of it old chum imo !
you leave out where it was imo quite obv where the ref gifted a few frees to even up the game after the Down goal..

all academic now though !
all i'm saying is that there's feck all difference in this game and the louth game imo, refereeing mistakes were made which probably changed the outcome of the game, so why not an outcry for a replay - Fearon has a point this time.
Gotta disagree with you on that BB. Square ball indiscretions and taking too many steps will always be part of the game and even the best of officials will miss them on occasion. Players will always push that boundary to some extent and will often get away with it, sure we won an Ulster championship on the back of a square ball decision that went against Donegal in '98. None of us went on about offering them a replay. What Sheridan did was so deliberate and completely dishonest (and he knew it) that I don't recall as low an action that I could compare it with.
Sorry, I just remembered one nearly as low. Wee Peter goin down like he was shot to get Rooster sent off in the '95 Ulster Semi final  :'(