AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiden1

Quote from: ONeill on September 21, 2010, 12:05:43 AM
I was delighted to see McComiskey play some of his best football in a Down jersey yesterday. He seemed to rise to the occasion.

From the first couple of balls in you knew Gordon was in for a tough time. Dan actually didn't play too badly and won a couple of tussles in the first half but O'Connor would've roasted any full back yesterday.

They struggled to get the ball to Benny yesterday and when they eventually did he was hounded by 2-3 defenders. Same goes for Clarke.

Personally I thought Down simply emptied the tank early on and had nothing left after 45 minutes, surprisingly so for a Tally team. They harassed Cork, Ulster-esque, into a rash of poor passes in the first half and made them pay for it. Unfortunately, the fresh legs in the Cork side from 35 mins onwards left Down that yard or two off the efforts in the first. Great decision making and timing from the Cork management. Some are raving about Danny Hughes - he saw a lot of ball during the game but I thought he had a poor opening 20 minutes and was responsible for a few turnovers. Still, he kept going at full pelt when others faded.

The Cork placed balls were crucial. Marty Clarke, who didn't get the room afforded him in the QF and SF, didn't seem to be all that confident with his kicking from dead balls. Goulding was a class act.

Down's decision to head over and mingle with the celebrating Cork players says a lot about that squad. Another class act.

Down where fit but Kallum King ran his balls off in the first 1/2 then had to do the same again on a fresh player of the caliber of Nicholas Murphy that Cork could bring in.  Add Canty and the others, Cork can soften you up and then the subs come in to finish you off which is partly why they are always so strong in the last 15 minutes.

I watched it again last night and Down would have needed to play the perfect game to have beaten Cork.  They scored 15 points considering how dominant Cork where at the kickouts was a good achievement.  A couple of missed passes that dropped short that Cork scored directly from, Declan Rooney kicked the ball away when 7 2 up when Cork had a free outside the 45, the ball was moved up, tapped over, Cork won the next kickout and scored again straight away, things like that, you never know what would have happened if 1 or 2 less mistakes.  Cork definitely where the better team and Down have a few areas to work on.  Playing in division 1 will help them gain more experience playing tough matches every week.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

western exile

So this is what it feels like  ???    Congratulations to Cork, your persistence and perseverance has finally paid off. Well done.

But I also very proud of a Down team that proved a lot this summer, and almost pulled it off. A one point defeat is no shame, and there are many small things that could have won it for them. And to score 15 times in an All-Ireland is a good return and would win most of them. In my memory, only Meath (1-14) v. Down in 1991 and Kerry (0-17) v. Offally in 1982 scored more and lost.

But Cork did it when it mattered, so well done again.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 21, 2010, 10:09:25 AM
Does that Cork gimp with the mexican hat actually travel with the team? The cameras always pick him out at games and he was waving his hat in the background as Canty was getting the trophy yesterday. It's like a Cork version of Where's Wally. He made sure to get himself in the background when Clare McNamara was reporting on the news from outside the Burlington and then unbelievably who walks down the corridor of the Childrens Hospital in the background yesterday when the players were bringing Sam around but your man, Jaysus he's some tool.

I think he's sponsored by Paddy Power. He sickens my shit.

stew

Two fantastic games and well done all involved, these games were a great advertisement for gaelic football and I have to say down were a class act altogether.

Cork finally win an AI when they probably feel they should have had two in the last few years, well done to them and the experience will have done Down no harm at all and they may well be back next year.

Wee james did a brilliant job altogether and I take back every bad word I said about him, i thought he was going to be pure ket, I was very wrong.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J OGorman

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 20, 2010, 10:43:13 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 20, 2010, 10:07:30 PM
I cant see why martin clarke would contemplate going back to OZ. Is there any truth in this?

Would they want him back?

One thing that the summer has shown is that he has ball playing and playmaking skills but not the physicality that an AFL footballer needs.

course they would want him back...was he not rated number 4 out of 100 midfielders (?) in his first full season? he was a man marker in Australia rather than a play maker which didnt sit well with him

GalwayBayBoy

Does that Cork gimp with the mexican hat actually travel with the team?

He was on Up for the Match too. However he manages it he always seems to get his face on camera without fail. You could see him holding his sombrero aloft in the background during the presentation. No doubt going "I'm here, over here, over here".

It's certainly between him and Mayo's St Patrick as to who is the most annoying fan in Ireland. I vote for sombrero man as he's never off the telly during the Summer.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 21, 2010, 03:53:55 PM
Does that Cork gimp with the mexican hat actually travel with the team?

He was on Up for the Match too. However he manages it he always seems to get his face on camera without fail. You could see him holding his sombrero aloft in the background during the presentation. No doubt going "I'm here, over here, over here".

It's certainly between him and Mayo's St Patrick as to who is the most annoying fan in Ireland. I vote for sombrero man as he's never off the telly during the Summer.

Up For The Match was bad, waving his hat in the background during the presentation was worse but when I saw him walking around the Childrens Hospital with the team I had one of them involuntary reactions that leads to a cuff round the ear and a cold dinner from her indoors, f**king ridiculous so he is, he symbolises everything the GAA isn't, mé féin...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Hardy

Canning even referred to him by name on Sunday.

marym

You have to hand it to him though that he follows boths codes all ages and he follows both ladies teams as well.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Hardy on September 21, 2010, 04:14:38 PM

Thonbollixinthesombrero McCarthy???

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hardy on September 21, 2010, 04:14:38 PM

Thank Christ I was listening to it on the radio so, fucked from now on though.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rossfan

Ye sad clowns have little to be worrying about.
Cyril Kavanagh is his name and he's eentitled to follow Cork anywhere and dress  how he likes.
As for saying he's the opposte of what the GAA is about ........ Jesus help !!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on September 21, 2010, 08:03:04 PM
Ye sad clowns have little to be worrying about.
Cyril Kavanagh is his name and he's eentitled to follow Cork anywhere and dress  how he likes.
As for saying he's the opposte of what the GAA is about ........ Jesus help !!!!
You approve of the Paddy Power sponsorship that means he jumps in front of every camera there is to keep his gig going?

bcarrier

Watching rerun there ...Murphy definitely did his own "cop that" this year.

DownFanatic

There's an All Ireland in this Down team in the next couple of years. What a journey this year. Above and beyond expectations.

In the semi famous words of PJ Magee: "You have to lose a Final before you can learn to win one!"