AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross matt

Congrats to both sides on an intense exciting final. Well done to Cork on finally bringing home Sam. Delighted for the likes of Canty (excellent speech), Nicholas Murphy. Pity such a fine footballer as Anhony Lynch was'nt on the pitch.

Down were a joy to watch. I think they played as well as they could though. They scored all but 3 points from play and never got a sniff of goal.

Cork should have been 1-1 up inside 3 minutes and kicked away alot of scoring chances and general possession after that until half time. They had the lions share of possession throughout. They played within themselves again but still won. Finally getting over the line might allow them to let the brakes off and play with more fleuncy over the next few seasons in order to win a few more titles.

The ref was unfussy and sharp when he had to be. Match was played with a great spirit of sportsmanship. Good final that crowns a decent championship.

Archie Mitchell

orangeman

Aaron Boone

Extended match highlights 8.30pm TG4 tonight, 6.30pm/9.30pm Setanta Ireland tomorrow.

the derg

a exciting pulsating final with the experience and better bench of cork holding sway but how refreshing of james to admit the better team won despite only a point in it admit a few tactical errors encourage his team to show irish manliness by shaking their opponents hands despite wanting to run away makes you proud to be from down just that wee bit of class well done all round i think somehow that honesty has endered this team to the football public as they play the game in the right way yet show their vulnerability

Aaron Boone

Quote from: the derg on September 20, 2010, 09:04:55 PM
a exciting pulsating final with the experience and better bench of cork holding sway but how refreshing of james to admit the better team won despite only a point in it admit a few tactical errors encourage his team to show irish manliness by shaking their opponents hands despite wanting to run away makes you proud to be from down just that wee bit of class well done all round i think somehow that honesty has endered this team to the football public as they play the game in the right way yet show their vulnerability
Well done Down, but all counties played the game in the right way in 2010.

maldini

anyone spot who the tosser was that threw the bottle on at the Cork players at the end - down at the Cusack/Davin stand corner?

probably some eejit attending his first match of the year no doubt

INDIANA

I cant see why martin clarke would contemplate going back to OZ. Is there any truth in this?

INDIANA

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 20, 2010, 10:43:13 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 20, 2010, 10:07:30 PM
I cant see why martin clarke would contemplate going back to OZ. Is there any truth in this?

Would they want him back?

One thing that the summer has shown is that he has ball playing and playmaking skills but not the physicality that an AFL footballer needs.

disagree. He is way too talented to be playing that bastardised version of egg chasing. You don't need any talent to be an AFL player. All you need is a big mouth, to be 6ft 4 and 16 stone and be an endurance athlete.

supersub

I would be fairly confident that he always intended to go back. Wouldn't be surprised if he headed back during next season!

marym

Anthony Lynch Injured. Masters left panel as was not getting any games.

ONeill

I was delighted to see McComiskey play some of his best football in a Down jersey yesterday. He seemed to rise to the occasion.

From the first couple of balls in you knew Gordon was in for a tough time. Dan actually didn't play too badly and won a couple of tussles in the first half but O'Connor would've roasted any full back yesterday.

They struggled to get the ball to Benny yesterday and when they eventually did he was hounded by 2-3 defenders. Same goes for Clarke.

Personally I thought Down simply emptied the tank early on and had nothing left after 45 minutes, surprisingly so for a Tally team. They harassed Cork, Ulster-esque, into a rash of poor passes in the first half and made them pay for it. Unfortunately, the fresh legs in the Cork side from 35 mins onwards left Down that yard or two off the efforts in the first. Great decision making and timing from the Cork management. Some are raving about Danny Hughes - he saw a lot of ball during the game but I thought he had a poor opening 20 minutes and was responsible for a few turnovers. Still, he kept going at full pelt when others faded.

The Cork placed balls were crucial. Marty Clarke, who didn't get the room afforded him in the QF and SF, didn't seem to be all that confident with his kicking from dead balls. Goulding was a class act.

Down's decision to head over and mingle with the celebrating Cork players says a lot about that squad. Another class act.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Olly

I had a terrible experience. It was raining so I had no coat so I walked into Dublin to buy a coat but I never saw so many coats in my life I couldn't decide. Then I did a bit of shopping and lost myself in the city's shopping offers. It was wonderful. Found a great bar called Gubu. But when I looked at my watch it was 4pm. I was running like mad and got to Croke Park just as Grey Canty was running onto the field. I enjoyed the last 20 minutes but was mad I missed the minor game and most of the senior.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

norabeag

Stated last night in Castlewellan that there is only one place he will be next year.. staying home in Down.

Croí na hÉireann

Does that Cork gimp with the mexican hat actually travel with the team? The cameras always pick him out at games and he was waving his hat in the background as Canty was getting the trophy yesterday. It's like a Cork version of Where's Wally. He made sure to get himself in the background when Clare McNamara was reporting on the news from outside the Burlington and then unbelievably who walks down the corridor of the Childrens Hospital in the background yesterday when the players were bringing Sam around but your man, Jaysus he's some tool.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...