AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Dun 94

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 16, 2010, 02:46:46 PM
I don't get your point. Of course most counties face counties from other provinces most of the time over the past 20 years.
There has only been Cork & Kerry twice and Tyrone v Armagh to break that pattern.

Wonder will Cork target Martin Clarke for some rough & tumble early on. I'd say he'll not be allowed so much time on the ball this time though he's good at making time for himself.

Quote from: cornafean on September 16, 2010, 01:03:43 PM
There is a bit of a pattern here. Ulster teams have faced non-Ulster opposition 8 times in All Ireland finals in the past 20 years, and have won 7 of the 8. Its hard to imagine that this happened by accident. (In addition, most of those teams were counted as underdogs before their respective finals.)
Clarke has played and been hit by bigger men down under than cork have that won't be a worry for him.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Oldhacker on September 16, 2010, 12:09:24 PM
The posters who are complaining about regular public appearances by Down players obviously did not hear James McCartan's comments during the fund-raising breakfast in Newry earlier this week. James explained that a single media night is held a couple of weeks before the final when a range of interviews are staged and the relared stories are then published and broadcast on a daily basis in the run-up to September 19.

The players also attend a small number of other events, but the shutters come down around ten days before the final. The Canal Court breakfast was the only exception, but it was well-managed and over by 9.30am The Tyrone team which won three All Irelands in the last seven years followed a very similar policy towards the Ulster All Stars and other invitations and it did not do them much harm.

Ronan Murtagh did open a new business in Newry, but this had been planned for some time and again took place ten days before the final.

The objective should surely be to ensure that the players are not placed uinder any undue pressure but also manage to live fairly normal lives and enjoy at least a little of the build-up. Benny Coulter, who is admittedlly one of our most experienced players, has said that he is enjoying every minute of it but still maintaining his focus, which seems reasonable. His younger colleagues are keeping a lower profile, which is also fair.

That's just not true, Benny Coulter and a number of other players were in with the kids in ST Mark's school today for a few hours and that is definitely not the only one.  It is not shutters down as you suggest.  There is a growing fear among the Down fans that I speak to every day that the hype is built up too much around the players and that they are doing the sort of things now that they should only be thinking of doing after they win the cup.   This is coming from very respected Down people who have worn the red and black with distinction.

Banana Man

QuoteQuote from: Oldhacker on Today at 12:09:24 PM
The posters who are complaining about regular public appearances by Down players obviously did not hear James McCartan's comments during the fund-raising breakfast in Newry earlier this week. James explained that a single media night is held a couple of weeks before the final when a range of interviews are staged and the relared stories are then published and broadcast on a daily basis in the run-up to September 19.

The players also attend a small number of other events, but the shutters come down around ten days before the final. The Canal Court breakfast was the only exception, but it was well-managed and over by 9.30am The Tyrone team which won three All Irelands in the last seven years followed a very similar policy towards the Ulster All Stars and other invitations and it did not do them much harm.

Ronan Murtagh did open a new business in Newry, but this had been planned for some time and again took place ten days before the final.

The objective should surely be to ensure that the players are not placed uinder any undue pressure but also manage to live fairly normal lives and enjoy at least a little of the build-up. Benny Coulter, who is admittedlly one of our most experienced players, has said that he is enjoying every minute of it but still maintaining his focus, which seems reasonable. His younger colleagues are keeping a lower profile, which is also fair.

That's just not true, Benny Coulter and a number of other players were in with the kids in ST Mark's school today for a few hours and that is definitely not the only one.  It is not shutters down as you suggest.  There is a growing fear among the Down fans that I speak to every day that the hype is built up too much around the players and that they are doing the sort of things now that they should only be thinking of doing after they win the cup.   This is coming from very respected Down people who have worn the red and black with distinction.

That's a very good point, they should not be doin all that hype now, there is time enough for that after the thing is won, evenreleasing songs for the semi final was a bit premature, thankfully it didn't result in eggs on our face but i think the boys need to try and keep focused, there's nothing won yet

Maiden1

Not much coming from the Cork side at all except a few of the Cork players blowing up Down's chances.  Don't like that at all.  I would much rather they where a bit more cocky, talking up there chances and biting back at the media for dismissing there run to the final.  They are national league champions as well.  I hope I'm wrong but I get the impression Cork are using the criticism they have been getting to motivate themselves for the final.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

supersub

I think there was always bound to be more hype around down/Kildare whichever got to the final, cork have been there in recent times and although haven't won, they have done the build up, talking, media hype before so they are bound to be quieter and keep more to the football side of things this time round!

Canalman

In fairness I think the Down Cumann na mBunscoil are well within their rights to ask the Down players to make the odd appearance to promote the game in schools. A couple of hours in a national school not too miuch imo and nothing like the tide that engulfed the Dubs in 1992.

Having said that Cork have played a blinder here in laying low.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: CompulsoryTillager on September 16, 2010, 02:28:49 PM
Quote from: passedit on September 16, 2010, 09:24:35 AM
Quote from: CompulsoryTillager on September 16, 2010, 02:11:47 AM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on August 30, 2010, 11:29:20 PM
Dromara Gael is quite right about Down wearing an all black strip against Cork in the NFL but it is going back quite a while - probably around 25 years. My recollection is that the game may have been played in Castlewellan and I have a notion that the great Tommy McGovern might have got a rare score for us late on.

1982 it was, and Tommy McGovern scored 1-1, it finished Down 1-6 Cork 2-3

Think I was at that game, do you have the full teams Tillager? I have a vague recollection of a less than svelte Christy Ryan playing full forward for Cork.

Centre-back according to the following day's Indo!

DOWN: P Donnam; P Kennedy, M Curley, M O'Higgins; A Quiery, P O'Rourke, B McGovern; T McGovern, C Burns; J McCartan, A Rodgers, D Bell; M Linden, B Loughran, J Digney. Subs: B Gardiner for Loughran, N King for O'Higgins.
CORK: M Creedon; S Fuohy, T Creedon, J Evans; M Moloney, C Ryan, T O'Callaghan; T O'Reilly, M Burns; D Barry, E O'Mahony, E Murphy; N O'Connor, D McCarthy, J Cleary. Subs: M Connolly for Burns.
Referee: J Toner (Armagh).
It was Pat Donnan and Mark Turley
Was at the game also- Tommy Mc Govern- what a player !The following year we played Cork in Newcastle and were beaten ( from memory). Haven't been too many games between the two over the years but every Cork supporter I've met knows their GAA. We were actually in Cork this year on the day of the Offaly game in Tullamore and daughter plus mates were all in Down shirts before we headed to the game. Some people thought we were mad.Wonder what they think now ?

Dubh driocht

Is Ned King Kalum's da ?A man who knows how to beat Cork in AI finals .

DownFanatic

Quote from: Dubh driocht on September 16, 2010, 06:44:26 PM
Is Ned King Kalum's da ?A man who knows how to beat Cork in AI finals .

Nope. Ned is Colm and Eamon's da. Both play for Dundrum. Ned as you know is originally a Kilclief man. He was also the last man to score a 50 in Croke Park afaik.

In terms of the different stuff coming from the media, there is very little talk about McComiskey and John Clarke in the Down forward line. I feel McComiskey has a big game in him and John Clarke has always been a quality player and id say he will put in a decent performance on Sunday.

jas376

The Cork team for Sunday is up on the 'corkgaa' website. It includes M. Shields at fullback,  E.Cadogan at left corner back, G. Canty at centre-back, D. O Connor at full forward, C.Sheehan at left wing forward P.Kerrigan at right corner forward  - the rest is as was expected.  J.Miskella, N. Murphy, C. O Neill   are all not listed on the starting team.

Zulu

The Cork Senior Football team V's Down in Sunday's All-Ireland Final will line out as follows:

1. Alan Quirke
                                  (Valley Rovers)

2. Eoin Cadogan  3. Michael Shields   4. Ray Carey
       (Douglas)       (St. Finbarrs)         (Clyda Rovers)

5. Noel O'Leary   6. Graham Canty    7. Paudie Kissane
  (Cill na Martra)    (Bantry Blues-Capt)         (Clyda Rovers)

8. Alan O'Connor                     9. Aidan Walsh
               (St. Colum's)                           (Kanturk)

10. Ciaran Sheehan  11. Pearse O'Neill  12. Patrick Kelly
      (Éire Óg)              (Aghada)              (Ballincollig)

13. Daniel Goulding  14. Donncha O'Connor  15. Paul Kerrigan
          (Éire Óg)           (Ballydesmond)           (Nemo Rangers)

joemamas

Quote from: Zulu on September 16, 2010, 09:36:20 PM
The Cork Senior Football team V's Down in Sunday's All-Ireland Final will line out as follows:

1. Alan Quirke
                                  (Valley Rovers)

2. Eoin Cadogan  3. Michael Shields   4. Ray Carey
       (Douglas)       (St. Finbarrs)         (Clyda Rovers)

5. Noel O'Leary   6. Graham Canty    7. Paudie Kissane
  (Cill na Martra)    (Bantry Blues-Capt)         (Clyda Rovers)

8. Alan O'Connor                     9. Aidan Walsh
               (St. Colum's)                           (Kanturk)

10. Ciaran Sheehan  11. Pearse O'Neill  12. Patrick Kelly
      (Éire Óg)              (Aghada)              (Ballincollig)

13. Daniel Goulding  14. Donncha O'Connor  15. Paul Kerrigan
          (Éire Óg)           (Ballydesmond)           (Nemo Rangers)

I would say I have a better chance of starting full forward than Donnacha O Connor on Sunday. Wonder what real line out will be.

Zulu

I'd say Canty is the only man that may not start from that 15. O'Connor definitely will start anyway and I'd be surprised if it isn't in the full forward line. I'd have Colm O'Neill in there myself but other than that you couldn't really argue with it.

snoopdog