Big Dan calls it a day

Started by Gallybander, August 17, 2010, 09:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gallybander

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/gaa/2010/0817/1224277060167.html

Shanahan calls it a day

There will be no more tilting at windmills for Dan Shanahan. The Waterford veteran will not get his hands on that elusive All-Ireland winner's medal having decided to call time on his inter-county career.

After 15 seasons in the trenches, and having won all there is to win bar the All-Ireland (four Munster titles and a National League title), the 33-year-old has opted to hand up his boots in the wake of Sunday's semi-final defeat at the hands of Tipperary.

"Personally, I think my time is up," he told Newstalk's Off the Ball this evening. "It's been a rollercoaster. It's been good and bad . . . I've won and lost and can hold my head up high."

Shanahan was sprung from the bench last weekend but the game was already up for Davy Fitzgerald's side. And after his heroics in the Munster final replay, Shanahan admitted he was disappointed not to be on from the outset.

"I thought I'd get a lot more, if not start, but that's not my decision," he added. "It's the manager's decision and I have to stand by that.

"Obviously I was a bit disappointed, but every fella is disappointed when he's not picked. . . . I thought I'd a bit more to offer but obviously they (the management) didn't think so."

Gallybander

Its a awful pity the big man never won an All Ireland medal.
He scored some great goals for us. In 2007 he was untouchable.
My favourite games of his was the time he scored 3 against Clare in 2004 and the 3 against Limerick in the Munster final a few years later.

Hurling will be the lesser without one of the great characters!

AZOffaly

Sorry to hear this, but I suppose it's to be expected for a few of those Waterford lads now. Disappointing for them that they never got to the holy grail.

Big Dan was never what you would call a great stickman, in the mode of Tony Brown or Ken McGrath, but he was a force of nature when he was on song, and that magical year he had will be hard topped by any other forward.

Fair play Dan, enjoy the Summers off.

orangeman

Quote from: Gallybander on August 17, 2010, 09:07:36 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/gaa/2010/0817/1224277060167.html

Shanahan calls it a day

There will be no more tilting at windmills for Dan Shanahan. The Waterford veteran will not get his hands on that elusive All-Ireland winner's medal having decided to call time on his inter-county career.

After 15 seasons in the trenches, and having won all there is to win bar the All-Ireland (four Munster titles and a National League title), the 33-year-old has opted to hand up his boots in the wake of Sunday's semi-final defeat at the hands of Tipperary.

"Personally, I think my time is up," he told Newstalk's Off the Ball this evening. "It's been a rollercoaster. It's been good and bad . . . I've won and lost and can hold my head up high."

Shanahan was sprung from the bench last weekend but the game was already up for Davy Fitzgerald's side. And after his heroics in the Munster final replay, Shanahan admitted he was disappointed not to be on from the outset.

"I thought I'd get a lot more, if not start, but that's not my decision," he added. "It's the manager's decision and I have to stand by that.

"Obviously I was a bit disappointed, but every fella is disappointed when he's not picked. . . . I thought I'd a bit more to offer but obviously they (the management) didn't think so."

It mightn't be all over yet ?.

He was as AZ referred to earlier a force of nature. He was hard to handle and was more than a handful for most.

Reillers

God they're all hanging up their boots. Canning, Shanahan, a Cork player or two? Where's the time gone.
Pity he never won an AI, pity some of those Waterford players never won an AI.
He was an excellent player and they'll really miss him down in Waterford, but everyone has their time. He was a force of nature, and caused us many, many headaches against Cork, and other teams, and some outstanding days in Munster, thrived on the big days. Some of my best memories as a Cork supporter have been Munster days out, nearly always with Waterford, something about those days, brought the best out of eachother, games of the decade in many cases, and he was always a major part of those days. Back in, when was it, 07, when Waterford really in my opinion missed their best chance to win an All Ireland, had a fantastic season, but had nothing left in the engine when they lost to Limerick in the semi after beating Cork in the replay. Now I'm not saying that Waterford would have beaten Kilkenny, but they were deffenitely in the best position in their form to give it ago.

When Shanahan was on form, mostly or not Waterford were. An excellent player who will be badly missed and has given great service to his county.

Roashter

Yeah, pity to see him go -When he was at his peak he was unstoppable.
Would have liked to see him stay on one more year, although if Davy Fitz is still in charge there would be no hope of that.
He'll be 34 in January, and I really believe that if a player is good enough then age shouldn't really matter.

orangeman

Dan's not happy :

Dan Shanahan has fired a thinly veiled blast at Davy Fitzgerald by not endorsing him for another term as manager, as he confirmed his own retirement from the inter-county game.

Shanahan put the seal on a 13-year career with Waterford, something he had given a clear indication of in the immediate aftermath of a fourth Munster title success.

But he has followed the recent trend of other retiring Waterford players who also illustrated little or no love for Fitzgerald's management.

Paul Flynn and Dave Bennett were critical of the former Clare goalkeeper two years ago when they left the scene and, while Shanahan stopped short of stinging criticism, it was clear once again, this time in a Newstalk 'Off the Ball' interview, that he had been at odds with Fitzgerald.

backing

Pressed on whether he thought Fitzgerald should stay on, Shanahan didn't seek to offer any public backing. "That's not my decision, that's the county board. It's not about me or Davy Fitzgerald, it's about Waterford hurling," he said.

Shanahan is clearly hurt that he was not afforded more time with Waterford this season and revealed that his omission had never been fully explained to him.

"He (Fitzgerald) never came up to me and said why I wasn't playing.

"I was going well in training, but obviously the management didn't think I was. That's their decision and I'll have to live with that. I was disappointed with that. I thought I had more to offer, but they didn't think so," he said.

The 2007 Hurler of the Year believes Waterford's game plan was too easy to read. "I think Tipp were definitely better on the day and they knew our tactics. It's hard to play against a team who know what's going to happen."- Colm Keys

deiseach

Hardly a 'blast'. I was expecting something stronger.

I have an ambivalent attitude towards Dan. He could be awfully frustrating, seemingly incapable of bending his back past the vertical, and would often be anonymous against players half his size. On the other hand when he was good he was very good indeed and his performances in 2007 will live long in the memory, particularly in my house where the bear my sister-in-law gave me while in hospital between the two games in Croke Park will forever be Dan. I hope he (the hurler, not the bear) has a happy retirement

lilpaulie85

i agree he could do the sublime when it came to scoring but some of the basic skills would often let him down.
Chase the dream not the competition.

johnneycool

I suppose Davy's trekking back game plan doesn't suit his style if he was to be played in the half forwards and with a two man full forward line his lack of pace would be exposed so the ball into him would need to pretty accurate.

No better man to be battling on the edge of the square for a goal chance though.

In his pomp he was some spud but seemed to let his physical conditioning go badly after 2007 and never regained that form.

DuffleKing

Best of Luck Dan - loved watching him play

orangeman

Quote from: johnneycool on August 18, 2010, 03:16:22 PM
I suppose Davy's trekking back game plan doesn't suit his style if he was to be played in the half forwards and with a two man full forward line his lack of pace would be exposed so the ball into him would need to pretty accurate.

No better man to be battling on the edge of the square for a goal chance though.

In his pomp he was some spud but seemed to let his physical conditioning go badly after 2007 and never regained that form.
[/b]

He had a good winter that year. He attended some functions, being the player of the year etc. He would have been getting feeds bought for him every night.

Applesisapples

Agreed a great player on his day but also frustratingly poor at times, the brother whilst a bit more mobile seems to be the same. He was a great character no the less. can't entirely agree with his ambivalence towards Fitz at the pace Sunday's game was played at he was a better bet of the bench.

beer baron

Serious player when on form very one dimnsional but very effective none the less!Any chance he'll come back if/when davy quits?Seems to me Davy has a lot to do with it.At the same time his best days are surely behind him but could still be an effective man on the edge of the square for 20 minutes but that doesn't seem to be enough for him!

Asal Mor

Iconic figure who was a matchwinner at his best and brought huge charisma to the game.  From 04 - 07 he was at the peak of his hurling and for those four seasons he was one of the top 5 forwards in the game racking up big totals from play in every game. Brilliant under the dropping ball and a deadly goal poacher. There was something very cool about him too - I loved watching him scoring and celebrating all those goals.