more soccer hooliganism in Dublin

Started by lynchbhoy, August 15, 2010, 10:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilpaulie85

Quote from: deiseach on August 17, 2010, 12:13:17 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 17, 2010, 12:03:17 PM
while some of the other clubs will have a few thugs and twits amongst them, it seems that the problem is with one club in particular and the fans are not confined to tallaght

Why would they be confined to Tallaght? Rovers are from Milltown.

yes but in fairness the new stadium is in tallaght
Chase the dream not the competition.

deiseach

Quote from: lilpaulie85 on August 17, 2010, 12:18:31 PM

It is, but who did soccer fans in Tallaght support before Rovers moved to Tallaght?

deiseach

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 17, 2010, 12:17:43 PM
miltown was light years ago and while fans still support them hailing from miltown,the 'violent' element from miltown have all grown up and no longer participate.

this club draw supporters from all round Dublin and most of them would be fine, but there is an element of fight seeking personnel that are drawn to them that I dont find of see with Bohs or Shelbourne, pats etc

I'll take your word for it. I always thought that clubs were for life etc but I'm probably being naive

lynchbhoy

Quote from: deiseach on August 17, 2010, 12:25:02 PM
Quote from: lilpaulie85 on August 17, 2010, 12:18:31 PM

It is, but who did soccer fans in Tallaght support before Rovers moved to Tallaght?
man u and liverpool !!  :D

Geoff Tipps

QuoteThe reason why I post this is because some people try to label soccer in Ireland - whether it is Dublin, Belfast of Cork - as being similar in its 'violence' to GAA - but while GAA have the same kinds of thugs in a minority, soccer have theirs and worse- its organised - thats hooliganism , and they are light years in their difference.

Why do people feel the need to constantly compare soccer to GAA?? One thing comparing the relative merits of the game but now the thuggish element that follow both sports. The GAA thugs are somehow slightly better because their violence is not pre-meditated??
If your jaw is broken and it's not a pre-meditated attack it still hurts like hell, right??

lynchbhoy

Quote from: deiseach on August 17, 2010, 12:27:02 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 17, 2010, 12:17:43 PM
miltown was light years ago and while fans still support them hailing from miltown,the 'violent' element from miltown have all grown up and no longer participate.

this club draw supporters from all round Dublin and most of them would be fine, but there is an element of fight seeking personnel that are drawn to them that I dont find of see with Bohs or Shelbourne, pats etc

I'll take your word for it. I always thought that clubs were for life etc but I'm probably being naive
not disagreeing with you - but rovers draw support from around Dublin not just in the locale of where they ae playing - much like juve and ac milan draw support from around italy and man u , liverpool , Celtic etc draw support from around England,Scotland, Ireland

I know sham rovers fans from lucan,coolock, sandyford and shankhill (south Dublin) as well as miltown and tallaght

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on August 17, 2010, 01:41:13 PM
QuoteThe reason why I post this is because some people try to label soccer in Ireland - whether it is Dublin, Belfast of Cork - as being similar in its 'violence' to GAA - but while GAA have the same kinds of thugs in a minority, soccer have theirs and worse- its organised - thats hooliganism , and they are light years in their difference.

Why do people feel the need to constantly compare soccer to GAA?? One thing comparing the relative merits of the game but now the thuggish element that follow both sports. The GAA thugs are somehow slightly better because their violence is not pre-meditated??
If your jaw is broken and it's not a pre-meditated attack it still hurts like hell, right??
you think its pre-meditated?
did they charter a bus to go to break someones jaw?

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 17, 2010, 01:43:35 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on August 17, 2010, 01:41:13 PM

Sorry I just don't get your argument. Now correct me if I'm wrong but it's something along the lines of - GAA thugs are bad but their violence is spontaneous whereas soccer thugs are worse because their violence is organised??

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on August 17, 2010, 01:54:44 PM
Sorry I just don't get your argument. Now correct me if I'm wrong but it's something along the lines of - GAA thugs are bad but their violence is spontaneous whereas soccer thugs are worse because their violence is organised??

But surely that's a basic tenet in law as to the degree of culpability, i.e., the presence or otherwise of malice aforethought such as the distinction drawn between murder and manslaughter?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on August 17, 2010, 01:54:44 PM
[/quote]
[/quote]
you are looking at it from a different angle.

my point is that all attacks and fights whether it is soccer, GAA, rugby, basketball, hockey etc etc are acts of thuggery (and I dont think they are generally pre-meditated , despite being bad and disgraceful).

the difference is that ONLY and I mean ONLY soccer have hooligans that organise their violence to 'fight' other 'firms' ( ::)) or set out to do so - organising transport to go to a rivals pub being the prime example here.
In the past on here , others have equated GAA and soccer as having the same incidents an violence.
I think this case - and others before and others to yet come - depict a huge difference in the GAA (and other sports) and soccer regarding violence, violence thug mentality and pre-meditated actions.
Hope you understand my point now.

Myles Na G.

Unlike soccer and rugby, which have cleaned up their act in recent years, GAA still presents examples of pre meditated violence on the pitch. The 'one in all in' mentality still prevails in GAA, the idea that the referee can't send everybody off, so if one fella gets involved in a punch up, everyone else dives in too. Not only is that kind of behaviour prevalent in senior GAA matches, but it can also be seen in schools and junior games.

boojangles

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 17, 2010, 06:32:34 PM
Unlike soccer and rugby, which have cleaned up their act in recent years, GAA still presents examples of pre meditated violence on the pitch. The 'one in all in' mentality still prevails in GAA, the idea that the referee can't send everybody off, so if one fella gets involved in a punch up, everyone else dives in too. Not only is that kind of behaviour prevalent in senior GAA matches, but it can also be seen in schools and junior games.

Give me one example of pre meditated violence in a GAA match and I'l give you ten examples of it in rugby or soccer.

stephenite

Back that up with examples of recent one in all in at GAA matches

Franko

Complete and utter balls.  Do you play any GAA sports?

dublinfella

I don't know how my name was dragged into it, but of course I would condemn the incident, whatever it was. Tribune article is light on actual information and quotes and there is no mention of this beyond the article. I would have assumed foot.ie and the bohs site would have had more if it was what the Tribune are making out.

But the substantive point is that the GAA are in no position to point fingers. Hoganstand has TWO games abandoned last weekend due to violence. They have their hooligans, we have ours. But at least there is no whataboutery from the soccer lads - they ban people.