New Rules for Championship

Started by Seamy Beag Muldoon, August 05, 2010, 01:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamy Beag Muldoon

Here are two Options for the GAA football championship going forward:-

Option `1:  Rules stay as they are except that Tyrone are allowed to keep playing games until they eventually wind up as winners that way keeping Mickey Harte content.

Option 2: get rid of provinces make it a champions league type competition in the early round- 32 counties, therefore 8 groups of 4, in each group there is drawn (its an open draw) a 1 seed a 2 seed and so on.  Seeds are determined every year based on performance in three years of prior championships and current league form.

Each team therefore getrs a minimum of three games in the group stages.  Then either only the top team in each group go through straight to a QTR Final knock-out (randon draw), or the top two teams from each group go through to a Round of 16 with the top teams in each group playing a team that gets second in another group - all pre-determined.

Jinxy

How anyone could seriously suggest getting rid of the provincial championships is baffling.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zapatista

Leave the provinces alone. Fecking Dubs getting all high and mighty now that they're in a semi. Louth need to win a Leinster before ye do away with it.

What if they finish level on points in the league stages? Would it go to score difference? What a load of balls that would be.

Option 3 - Search for existing threads before starting new one on popular topics.

I see no problem with option 1.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Jinxy on August 05, 2010, 01:43:44 PM
How anyone could seriously suggest getting rid of the provincial championships is baffling.

I think they should be seeded though, taking into account league performance. - I think this may improve the league also.

fearglasmor

Hardy

Quote from: Seamy Beag Muldoon on August 05, 2010, 01:38:53 PM
Here are two Options for the GAA football championship going forward:-

Ban him!

DirtyDozen12

Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

DoireGael

Totally dissagree with 'doing away with the provincial championships', going to Clones on Ulster final day is something the games is all about, and I am sure it is the same for other provinces, an integral part of football. FULL STOP

Thurles Munster Hurling Final.....Great, Sligo V the Rossie's this year.....

Zapatista

Quote from: DoireGael on August 05, 2010, 03:11:40 PM
Totally dissagree with 'doing away with the provincial championships', going to Clones on Ulster final day is something the games is all about, and I am sure it is the same for other provinces, an integral part of football. FULL STOP

Thurles Munster Hurling Final.....Great, Sligo V the Rossie's this year.....

Louth and Meath was a classic alltogether. It'll always be remembered.

BennyHarp

Ah sure it's deadly craic going to a provincial final, having a laugh in clones is much more important than having a competitive, realistic and fair championship where all teams have a fair crack of the whip! I agree with 8 groups of 4, though I'd have them seeded based on national league division. Play the league games off in three weeks, top 2 qualify for a last 16 and play that round two weeks after the group stages with top against 2nd on an open draw, top team at home. I'd also play the next rounds 2 weeks later! This way everyone has same recovery time and no one gets s second chance in knock out! Also with alot of games being played each weekend, TV can pick two and this may increase attendances at other games!

Failing this - I'd go with option 1
That was never a square ball!!

Zulu

Why? I'd get rid of them in the morning.

Zapatista

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 05, 2010, 06:26:12 PM
Ah sure it's deadly craic going to a provincial final, having a laugh in clones is much more important than having a competitive, realistic and fair championship where all teams have a fair crack of the whip! I agree with 8 groups of 4, though I'd have them seeded based on national league division. Play the league games off in three weeks, top 2 qualify for a last 16 and play that round two weeks after the group stages with top against 2nd on an open draw, top team at home. I'd also play the next rounds 2 weeks later! This way everyone has same recovery time and no one gets s second chance in knock out! Also with alot of games being played each weekend, TV can pick two and this may increase attendances at other games!

Failing this - I'd go with option 1

It might be better to change the provincial structure. Have Ulster and Leinster as a League were they play eachother once and have a league for Munster and Connaught were you play eash team twice. Winners of all four qualify for the AI championship which is knockout and begins at QF and the rest need to Qualify. If they don't qualify they don't play in the All Ireland championship.

thewobbler

Zap, there aren't enough weeks in the year to make that suggestion work. 10 league games in Leinster?

Zapatista

Quote from: thewobbler on August 05, 2010, 11:53:06 PM
Zap, there aren't enough weeks in the year to make that suggestion work. 10 league games in Leinster?

Fair enough. Have it seeded and have a mini qualifier.

It's just something i thought of a few minutes ago though haven't really thought about it.

It bugs me a little when I hear of teams that were beat in the qualifiers say that they were beat in the championship. The truth is if you're beat in the Qualifier then you weren't in the All Ireland championship.

The face

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2010, 06:32:31 PM

Why? I'd get rid of them in the morning.

Sigh......I doesn't matter whether people want rid of them or not. It's never, never, ever going to happen. In order for it to happen you would to get officials most of who are on a Provincial Council, to vote to take the main source of their income and power away. There does need to be change but doing away with the Provincial Championship is a non starter