Blast from the past

Started by AZOffaly, August 04, 2010, 02:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

Ah memories memories...the Connors, Sean Lowry fantastic footballers and a glimpse of the great Liam Currams, All Irelands in both codes I think AZ??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

AZOffaly

He has indeed. Missed out on the double in 1981 as Kerry beat them in the football final (won the hurling against Galway). He got his football medal in 1982.

His nephew is playing for the hurlers at the moment, Daniel.

Seamus Darby is well known for that goal of course, but a lot of people have forgotten that he was one of the best forwards on the 1972 team as well. In fact he scores 1-3 in the Leinster final in 1982, and had missed 6 years in between. He was no one-shot wonder.

Louth Exile

Amazing that no one has yet to mention the well known fact that the CCCCCCCCC had the game rigged, because of their bias against Kerry. Just listen to Micheal's commentary, he keeps making reference to the goal coming in the game. They told him there was going to be a sensational goal, just didn't tell him when  ;)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

western exile

I didn't realise that that goal came from a free kick awarded against The Bomber for a rugby tackle!

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 04, 2010, 03:36:14 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 04, 2010, 03:14:16 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 04, 2010, 03:05:02 PM
We did in our Barney. Kerry pulled everyone back and deserved everything they got. Tomás O'Connor didn't hop the ball 3 times, he bounced it 3 times basketball style to get it under control. That's perfect.

In all seriousness, that was a good Offaly team. A great Kerry team obviously, but a very good bloody Offaly team. Sean Lowry looks fit enough today to play county football.

he always kept himself in great shape, a true gent . did he get 2 or 3 all stars i know he definatley got 2 one at centre half back and one at cetre half forward

Nearly right, he got two, one at Full Forward in 1979 and one at Centre Back in 1982. However, he also has two All Irelands from 1972 (9 point win over Kerry in a replay) and 1982 at Centre Back.

Edit, I sold him short there. He has 3 All Ireland medals. He got a sub medal in 1971. When you factor in he was winning Connacht Medals in 1986 (I think) that's a fair stretch of success.

MWWSI 2017

Frank Casey

Jaysus, ye're really twisting the knife in us now.
KERRY 3:7

comeontheredhands

If only pat the puke hadn't messed up it could have been a draw

johnpower

Quote from: comeontheredhands on August 04, 2010, 08:29:28 PM
If only pat the puke hadn't messed up it could have been a draw

I rememb er Michael O Heir saying that kerry were very nervous that day . AZ I am glad you reminded us that Seamus Darby was about in 72 when we again lost to you . Offaly have only 1 semi final appearance since hard to figure out .

ross matt

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 04, 2010, 05:07:04 PM
Ah memories memories...the Connors, Sean Lowry fantastic footballers and a glimpse of the great Liam Currams, All Irelands in both codes I think AZ??
Agreed. Remember them well and really admired them. Add in Padraic Dunne (only 19 then I think).... Johnnie Mooney also. Lost the AI to Kerry the year before and the high scoring semi before then. Also great matches. Offaly had a great style to them. Big men also. Great belief and persistence. Deserved their All Ireland and only for the great Kerry side would definitely have one another one or two.

Hedley Lamarr

Matt Connor was one of the finest footballers that I ever saw....great days indeed.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

FL/MAYO

The ref and 2 of the umpires are Mayo men, no wonder Kerry show no mercy to us :'(

demusicman

Anybody know where the great Offaly footballer Fr. Nick Clavin ended up. Is he still on the missions. He was a great College and Offaly player. I remember his great clash with Jimmy Duggan Galway in the colleges final 1966 when he captained St. Finians Mullingar v St.Jarlaths Tuam. I know some of you are also old enough to remember these times ;D
If not ask your parents ;)

FL/MAYO

Quote from: demusicman on August 04, 2010, 09:16:26 PM
Anybody know where the great Offaly footballer Fr. Nick Clavin ended up. Is he still on the missions. He was a great College and Offaly player. I remember his great clash with Jimmy Duggan Galway in the colleges final 1966 when he captained St. Finians Mullingar v St.Jarlaths Tuam. I know some of you are also old enough to remember these times ;D
If not ask your parents ;)

Jimmy Duggan was a Mayo man, the story around Claremorris is that he did not get his place on the Mayo minor team of that era (wrongly so) so switched allegance to Galway. Mayo football politics to blame...somethings dont change no matter what the era ;)

tyssam5

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 04, 2010, 02:47:03 PM
I thought soft frees were a recent development in football but that free given for a "foul" on Sean Lowry for Offaly's last point was as handy as I've seen.

Was thinking the same, they were tackling like a dad would tackle his child in the back garden, making extra sure it wasn't a foul. Don't why there was no Kerrymen under Sheehy's dropping ball at the end?

AZOffaly

I think fr nicky ended up in san diego.