2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

When Cluxton was omitted- really showed what a sham the whole process is

mountainboii

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 23, 2010, 07:01:29 PM
Benny at 8/1? wtf.

Surprised at that too. I thought I saw somewhere in the lead up to the final that he was third favourite for player of the year, albeit a good bit off Brogan and Clarke. By those odds, it seems he wouldn't even make an All Star B team.

Dubh driocht

Was it John Hume who used to condemn the politics of the last atrocity ?I'm afraid that is what we have created with the All Stars. I declare my hand as seeing all this through red and black spectacles but there are two miscarriages of justice rapidly unfolding like a car-crash in front of us.
1.Ambrose Rodgers was the best midfielder I saw this season and I saw all the nominees. He did it in the league before his injury.He did it in the championship. He was unbelievable against Sligo and Kerry (in the latter winning the throw-ins at start of both halves, covered every blade, tackled like a demon, stroked over a 45 and was still powering through the then AI champions in the 70th minute to score a point).And he's not even nominated.
2.Benny Coulter has carried Down for years and produced some of his best football this year.Over the years he has been outstanding also for club, province and country. This year his leadership, power, determination, skill and finishing has been phenomenal. And he appears to be a rank outsider for an award. Can I appeal to any journalist on the panel reading this to reflect on Benny's consistency, flair and instinctive skills in gaelic football ?Ask any player in Ireland- there's only one Benny Coulter.

The Worker

Quote from: Wee Shea on September 23, 2010, 07:47:56 PM
Quote from: AFS on September 23, 2010, 07:11:13 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 23, 2010, 07:01:29 PM
Benny at 8/1? wtf.

Surprised at that too. I thought I saw somewhere in the lead up to the final that he was third favourite for player of the year, albeit a good bit off Brogan and Clarke. By those odds, it seems he wouldn't even make an All Star B team.

He would. Sixth favourite so would be third choice on the B team.

7th fav counting brogan

borderfox

Quote from: Dubh driocht on September 23, 2010, 07:48:32 PM
Was it John Hume who used to condemn the politics of the last atrocity ?I'm afraid that is what we have created with the All Stars. I declare my hand as seeing all this through red and black spectacles but there are two miscarriages of justice rapidly unfolding like a car-crash in front of us.
1.Ambrose Rodgers was the best midfielder I saw this season and I saw all the nominees. He did it in the league before his injury.He did it in the championship. He was unbelievable against Sligo and Kerry (in the latter winning the throw-ins at start of both halves, covered every blade, tackled like a demon, stroked over a 45 and was still powering through the then AI champions in the 70th minute to score a point).And he's not even nominated.
2.Benny Coulter has carried Down for years and produced some of his best football this year.Over the years he has been outstanding also for club, province and country. This year his leadership, power, determination, skill and finishing has been phenomenal. And he appears to be a rank outsider for an award. Can I appeal to any journalist on the panel reading this to reflect on Benny's consistency, flair and instinctive skills in gaelic football ?Ask any player in Ireland- there's only one Benny Coulter.
I have to agree with all of that, Rodgers was arguably the best midfielder in the country prior to his injury and if Down had not of played that round of club championship games (where he got injured) I believe they would be All Ireland Champions now.

As for Coulter I thought he was a shoe in, I cant believe hes 8/1.

Also if theres any justice Brendan McVeigh will pick up his first Allstar. He has been immense for Down this year pulling off some crucial saves. Quirkes a young enough fella he"ll be back, This most probably will be Brendans best ever chance.

Paddy Keenan should be a no brainer as well, He never put a foot wrong in the whole Leinster Championship and drove Louth on.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

haze

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 23, 2010, 06:29:52 PM
B McVeigh 1/8
A Quirke 4/1
P McConnell 16/1

M Shields 1/12
P Kelly 2/5
R O'Carroll 1/2
C Harrison 4/7
P McMahon 5/4
J McMahon 6/4
M Ó Sé 6/1
D Gordon 10/1
J O'Brien 10/1

K McKernan 1/14
P Kissane 1/4
N O'Leary 1/3
E Bolton 1/2
P Jordan 4/7
G Canty 6/1
J McMahon 12/1
É Callaghan 16/1
T Ó Sé 25/1

P Keenan 1/8
A Walsh 2/7
MD McAuley 8/15
J Galvin 6/4
K King 16/1
N Murphy 20/1

D Hughes 1/33
J Doyle 2/5
P Kelly 4/7
G Reilly 13/8
P Kerrigan 4/1
J Sheridan 9/2
S Kenny 20/1
C Cregg 50/1

D Goulding 1/12
D O'Connor 2/7
C Cooper 4/6
D Shine 3/1
J Kavanagh 11/2
B Coulter 8/1
D Kelly 20/1
P Joyce 33/1

Paddy Power

Clarke and Brogan not quoted.

Surely Alan Quirke is good value at 4/1.... I know in another thread i said it would be wrong for Quirke to get ahead of McVeigh but still.

There is also some dodgy calls up there.... No way in my opinion should Aidan Walsh be 2/7 and John Galvin 6/4. Donnacha O Connor is a terrible price at 2/7.... Coulter was far superior over the course of the year and he is 8/1. The discrepancy makes no sense. Coulter should be priced shorter than Shine as well.

Paddy Power have recognised the Martin Clarke media love in as well

Over the Bar

The year Paddy Bradley got an all-star showed it up for the farce it was.

haze

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 23, 2010, 08:43:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 23, 2010, 07:08:16 PM

+1

How such a broad list of nominations could leave Cluxton out is beyond belief.

A farcical decision to leave him out. Alan Costello robbed as well

Over the Bar

QuoteBenny at 8/1? wtf.

thats cos he's priced in the full forward line.  If he gets an allstar at half forward they don't pay out.

snoopdog

you dont get all stars for taking 45's.
All keepers mentioned are better than Cluxton.

Over the Bar

QuoteAll keepers mentioned are better than Cluxton.
]

same as every other year he got one then!

haze

Quote from: snoopdog on September 23, 2010, 09:13:49 PM

Which do you mean- better this year, or better full stop?

I think Cluxton is a better keeper than all three but McVeigh had a better year than Cluxton and so deserves an All Star. Regardless of whether he has any saves to make, his kick outs and distribution from open play make him the stand out keeper in the country- the 45's are just an added bonus

snoopdog

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 23, 2010, 09:15:15 PM
QuoteAll keepers mentioned are better than Cluxton.
]

same as every other year he got one then!
indeed. shipping 5 against an average meath side would be a reason for no selection.
in fairness though the all stars are a waste of time.

snoopdog

Quote from: haze on September 23, 2010, 09:19:46 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on September 23, 2010, 09:13:49 PM

Which do you mean- better this year, or better full stop?

I think Cluxton is a better keeper than all three but McVeigh had a better year than Cluxton and so deserves an All Star. Regardless of whether he has any saves to make, his kick outs and distribution from open play make him the stand out keeper in the country- the 45's are just an added bonus
i mean this year. in fairness though a keeper should be judged on his saves not whether or not 80% of his kickouts are won in midfield by his own team, should that all star not go to the man fielding the ball in the middle. imo

GBXII