2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Giveitlong on September 23, 2010, 03:35:08 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 23, 2010, 02:42:04 PM
Quote from: Giveitlong on September 23, 2010, 11:30:47 AM
No disrespect to an outstanding servant of the game, but I am astonished that Padraig Joyce has received an All Star nomination. Losing provincial semi-finalist. Indifferent League form and matches against NY and Sligo, where he obviously did well but nothing worthy of a nomination in my view. I'm afraid it smacks of sentimentality.

You're obviously well informed. PJ didn't even play in the league due to injury which might explain his "indifferent" league form. Every game he played in the championship he was superb. He was either man of the match or very close to it. Early in the Summer he would have been nailed on for an All-Star. Only pity is he only had four games and Galway going out so early means he is never going to get that All-Star but I can't believe anyone would query his nomination.

Apologies Galwaybayboy, I knew Joyce was unavailable for a lot of the League but thought he managed a couple of league appearances. Apologies again.

Championship:

vs New York - I'm afraid that doesn't count as it's a pitch no larger than my back yard, and certainly no All Star was ever handed out for a performance in NY on a pitch barely bigger than a tennis court, where a FF literally does not have to move to receive the ball. And even if PJ scored 1-03 odd from play, I recall Dan Doona of NY was awarded Man of the Match.
And it also helps when you are playing 14 men. A FF will ultimately benefit from the overlap created by the extra man.

And on to the real stuff:

vs Sligo (draw): PJ=3 pts from play, but David Kelly of Sligo awarded Man of the Match
vs Sligo (replay): PJ=2 pts from play, but Mark Breheny of Sligo awarded Man of the Match
vs Wexford (qualifiers): PJ= 4pts from play, but Ciaran Lyng of Wexford awarded man of the Match

3 pts equivalent from play over three games against the likes of Sligo and Wexford is the very least I would expect from my full forward. And in those games, he scored no goals and won not one Man of the Match award.

In my earlier post I put forward some names that I deemed more worthy of nomination based on them playing in more games and against stronger opposition in my view.

My final point is that I am putting forward a neutral point of view as I hail from none of the counties, whereas you are from Galway so you may be approaching this with maroon-tinged spectacles.

What scoring totals on paper don't show you of course is also what he created for others. For instance his pass to Concannon that got Galway a draw against Sligo the first day. He probably set up as many scores as he got himself. At the end of June nobody would have quibbled had he been named on the championship team of the season up to that point. In fact I believe he was named on The Sunday Game one.

Obviously with Galway going out in the qualifiers he had no football for most of July and August so is never going to get an All-Star because of that but I don't believe his nomination is much of a surprise. To say sure he's only been doing it against other rubbish Connacht teams is a mindset I thought we had gotten away from to be honest but maybe not. Bottom line is while Galway were still in the championship he was superb. Unfortunately it wasn't for as long as they would have liked but it doesn't take away from how good he was when they were still in it.

ross4life

More than sentimental Dinny

Canty was injured in the last two match's but was inspiration for Cork in all the other games vs us he moved to FB to mark Shine after Shields struggled badly & would Dublin have got as much joy if they had a fit Canty to mark Brogan?

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Giveitlong

Fair comments in your response Galwaybayboy.
I'll stick with my main points and my backing up of them, and sure we'll agree to disagree.
Definitely no disrespect intended towards either Joyce or Connacht football.

gallsman

I'd love to know who the three Down midfielders better than Keenan are.

Wee Shea

Quote from: gallsman on September 23, 2010, 05:08:26 PM
I'd love to know who the three Down midfielders better than Keenan are.

A Rogers
K King
D Gordon

I presume

gallsman

King, Gordon? I presumed that as well, but then figured he must have been taking the piss.

swing-er-over

how anyone could place quirke about mcveigh is totally beyond me...

certainties = mcveigh, shields, mckernan, walsh, hughes, doyle, clarke, brogan, goulding

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: swing-er-over on September 23, 2010, 05:39:45 PM
how anyone could place quirke about mcveigh is totally beyond me...

certainties = mcveigh, shields, mckernan, walsh, hughes, doyle, clarke, brogan, goulding

Aidan Walsh is most certainly not a certainty, he had one good great game in the final but was average enough before that, saying that I think he will sneak one purely because he's from Cork. I'd have Keenan, MaCauley, and Galvin ahead of him. Quirke will probably get the keepers spot because again he's from Cork, welcome to the thinking of the All-Star committae   :)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ross4life

When is the last time Steven Cluxton didn't get at least a nomination?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mountainboii

ross4life

Donnellys Hollow

B McVeigh 1/8
A Quirke 4/1
P McConnell 16/1

M Shields 1/12
P Kelly 2/5
R O'Carroll 1/2
C Harrison 4/7
P McMahon 5/4
J McMahon 6/4
M Ó Sé 6/1
D Gordon 10/1
J O'Brien 10/1

K McKernan 1/14
P Kissane 1/4
N O'Leary 1/3
E Bolton 1/2
P Jordan 4/7
G Canty 6/1
J McMahon 12/1
É Callaghan 16/1
T Ó Sé 25/1

P Keenan 1/8
A Walsh 2/7
MD McAuley 8/15
J Galvin 6/4
K King 16/1
N Murphy 20/1

D Hughes 1/33
J Doyle 2/5
P Kelly 4/7
G Reilly 13/8
P Kerrigan 4/1
J Sheridan 9/2
S Kenny 20/1
C Cregg 50/1

D Goulding 1/12
D O'Connor 2/7
C Cooper 4/6
D Shine 3/1
J Kavanagh 11/2
B Coulter 8/1
D Kelly 20/1
P Joyce 33/1

Paddy Power

Clarke and Brogan not quoted.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 23, 2010, 06:29:52 PM
B McVeigh 1/8
A Quirke 4/1
P McConnell 16/1

M Shields 1/12
P Kelly 2/5
R O'Carroll 1/2
C Harrison 4/7
P McMahon 5/4
J McMahon 6/4
M Ó Sé 6/1