Coulter or Clarke?

Started by knockitdown, August 03, 2010, 03:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knockitdown

Has Martin Clarke become more of a concern for other teams than Benny Coulter?

J OGorman

Quote from: knockitdown on August 03, 2010, 03:04:12 PM
Has Martin Clarke become more of a concern for other teams than Benny Coulter?

different type of player...teams will be concerned with both Id hazard....

DoireGael

Benny was named at No.13 but lined out at wing half forward, was interesting to see how he worked down the line, was he moved into the corner in the second half? Cudnt really see, was quite low in the cusack.

But as J OGorman says, two different types of player, I wouldnt see marty as much as a goal threat (as benny) but he covers alot of ground and playmaking and point taking are certainly very good. But ya wouldnt let Benny sniff the inside of the line against ya or he would take ya for dust by the looks of it, bit like linden in that sense.

Paul Mc Comiskey was excellent, good to see him back to his best after a bad injury a few years back i remember at QUB

WeePeteIsALegend

Ask Micky Harte. Benny every time.
''Im very glad you won dat fight Matt, but Im a not imprezzed by your performance''

Zulu

I thought Clarke played a bit like McD did for Mayo in the latter part of his career by drifting over to get the ball off others before setting up the attack. If I was in the Kildare backroom I'd consider man marking him to try and take him out of the game.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on August 03, 2010, 05:14:44 PM
I thought Clarke played a bit like McD did for Mayo in the latter part of his career by drifting over to get the ball off others before setting up the attack. If I was in the Kildare backroom I'd consider man marking him to try and take him out of the game.

That's exactly how I described him to the brother in law before we went in to watch the game on Saturday. He reminds me of McDonald, pulling the strings, but I think he scores more.

WeePeteIsALegend

Nowhere near the vision or ability or passing of McDonald. Yet.

McDonald at his best was an unbelievable player.
''Im very glad you won dat fight Matt, but Im a not imprezzed by your performance''

Jinxy

Clarke scores more than McDonald!
Are you serious?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

Oh I agree, I'm not saying they are of the same standard but they do have the same style IMO. If Clarke stays around he could spoken of in the same hushed tones that McDonald is. McDonalad is my favourite footballer bar none, so it would be a great pleasure for all football fans if Clarke push the boudaries of what can be done on a football field, like McDonald did.

Dinny Breen

I'd see him as more of a Trevor Giles but he ain't no Trevor Giles yet!!!
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

I just don't get the level of hype around Clarke.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2010, 05:23:54 PM
Clarke scores more than McDonald!
Are you serious?

Just an impression I get Jinxy, but I haven't seen the stats. Clarke seems to be good for 3-5 points per game, including dead balls. I don't remember that sort of return from McDonald, but I could be mad wrong on that one. Don't jump down my throat :)

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2010, 05:30:51 PM

Agree, only saw him once in the flesh and that was in the league, Down hammered Kildare and he was at nothing, his brother is a better player imho but I suppose Marty will only improve..
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I didn't think I needed to qualify that, but just in case there's some misunderstanding, he reminds me of McDonald in his style, I'm not saying he's as good as him, but he may become that good.

He's not too fecking bad for a young lad that played a year of Aussie Rules in fairness.

WeePeteIsALegend

Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2010, 05:30:51 PM

Nor me and I played with him a few times and against him a few times.