AISF 2010: An Dún vs Cill Dara

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 01, 2010, 06:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Worker

Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 30, 2010, 12:25:18 AM
Other than Clarke is this the same team that were together under Ross Carr?

both clarkes, a few positional changes like Dan at FB

Polly never played alot under carr either

Mourne Rover

I'm still trying to calm down but it was a hell of a day. While you would have to feel sorry for a Kildare team with enormous spirit, they were fortunate to be in a position to force the injury time drama. To start at the finish, two minutes of injury time would have been plenty in a game with very few stoppages.  The ref gave them a generous three minutes, on top of the normal 35, and amazingly manged to find another two further additional minutes at the end. In other words, normal time required an extra period of less than ten per cent. Injury time required an extra 66 per cent, which is simply ludicrous.

There is no doubt that Benny was in the square for his goal, just as there is no doubt that Callaghan took 12 steps for his goal. Kildare were unfortunate to hit the post early in the second half, but first Fitzpatrick and then McComiskey had efforts blocked on the line in the space of a second or two. These incidents effectively canceled each other out, and in my admitedly less than neutral view every 50/50 free went to Kildare in the last quarter.

Down dominated the second and third quarters, and the move of the match saw Marty find Fitzpatrick with an incredible ball which hit his chect 20m out with only the keeper to beat. Big Fitz - who had a very fine match -  could have buried it and left us nine up with time running out.  He took the easy point instead, and the Kildare goal followed within a minute.

However, the bottom line is that Down were in control and Kildare were chasing a match which was always just of of their reach after the first quarter. Further thoughts on the individual performances may have to wait until tomorrow, but McKernan was immense at the back, our midfield was excellent and we are blessed with three of the best forwards in Ireland. At the risk of repeating myself, it was a hell of a day.

ONeill

Quote from: Mourne Rover on August 30, 2010, 12:53:36 AM
I'm still trying to calm down but it was a hell of a day. While you would have to feel sorry for a Kildare team with enormous spirit, they were fortunate to be in a position to force the injury time drama. To start at the finish, two minutes of injury time would have been plenty in a game with very few stoppages.  The ref gave them a generous three minutes, on top of the normal 35, and amazingly manged to find another two further additional minutes at the end. In other words, normal time required an extra period of less than ten per cent. Injury time required an extra 66 per cent, which is simply ludicrous.

There was a sizeable stoppage around the time Clarke took the free in injury time.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

And Hugh Lynch received treament for about a 1minute in injury time and we won't even go into McVeigh's time wasting on his kick-outs *

* Appreciate that if Kildare were leading I would expect and demand the same...
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

norabeag

the apple harvest or is it grapes must be very poor in the Orchard County this year. Never come across as many bitter & twisted posts in my llife. Must however acknowledge Geezer fopr how he spoke tonight. A few decisions may have gone against his boys today and we can claim the same but he was big enough to acknowledge the quality of Down

mountainboii

Quote from: norabeag on August 30, 2010, 01:10:46 AM
the apple harvest or is it grapes must be very poor in the Orchard County this year. Never come across as many bitter & twisted posts in my llife. Must however acknowledge Geezer fopr how he spoke tonight. A few decisions may have gone against his boys today and we can claim the same but he was big enough to acknowledge the quality of Down

Your county's biggest success in 16 years and that's all you can comment on? A bit sad, to be honest.

Dubh driocht

This is great.It's better than great. Can someone post the link to Shane Mc Gowan's F**k yis all ?

amallon

Great game. I'm glad the Down supporters showed Kildare the respect they deserved at the end by clapping them off the field.  Worthy oponnents. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

norabeag

Quote from: AFS on August 30, 2010, 01:18:45 AM
Quote from: norabeag on August 30, 2010, 01:10:46 AM

Your county's biggest success in 16 years and that's all you can comment on? A bit sad, to be honest.
I had a great day with my kids in Dublin today, enjoyed the banter with the Kildare ones who were disappointed but accepting of the result yet came home to read the crap posted by the likes of Fearon and grass  seed  and it makes you wonder what planet they are on.
Admittedly a lot of Armagh ones have been very supportive as I would have been if shoe on other foot.
Cant wait til 3rd Sunday now but new game plan needed for different opposition altogether

Dubh driocht

I know there is a separate thread on this and I also know that a lot of journalists read the board but RTE must sort out their pundits. I haven't seen the Sunday Game live yet to see Joe talk too much, Colm to blow with the wind and Pat make an eejit of himself again ( like a few posters on this board  e.g. Hardstation- Down swing from the worst team in Ireland to their selection for the AI) with his shallow analysis but tonight to hear the lovely Tony Davis and Mad Marty Carney agree with each other that Cork mightn't be great but nobody has beaten them this year reminds me why we need people who ;
a/watch games in more than one province
b/actually know the difference between fact and opinion
to make judgements and give opinions.Tohill is so far ahead of all of them it's embarassing. He seems to be the only ex-player to rise above his county and call it fairly and with insight.

DuffleKing

Quote from: amallon on August 30, 2010, 01:35:17 AM
Great game. I'm glad the Down supporters showed Kildare the respect they deserved at the end by clapping them off the field.  Worthy oponnents.

Its McEnaney they were clapping off...

Dubh driocht

We saw the worst and the best of the Down fans today.The bandwagon tossers that booed Johnny Doyle's free-taking should be stripped of a chance to get a ticket for the final.The true supporters who stood to applaud Kildare off the field, knowing it could easily have been Down losing but for Kalum King's strong wrists, represent the same tradition that our players showed in spades today.
Back to pundits- re-read Sean Moran's preview in the IT on Saturday- eerily spot-on. His sub-editor had highlighted 'Coulter and Clarke to make the difference'- after the 10 minute burst before half-time, I held it up in the Upper Cusack !Also thanks for the Larry Stanley reference Sean ;).

5 Sams

Just a few points through a drunken haze...I will tidy this up tomorrow.

Down got out of jail today. Benny's goal was a square ball and a Down player touched the ball in the wee square in the middle of the melee at the end..should have been a penalty..

Apart from that we were the better team and deserved to win.

Danny Hughes far and away man of the match.

If Marty Clarke stays in Ireland he has the potential to be the best footballer we have ever seen in Down.

Coulter's point at the end of the first half was fcukin sublime :o

We don't lose finals.
The Aristocrat Years

ross4life

2005 & 2009 All Ireland under 21 final defeats try telling Clarke, Rogers & others that they don't lose finals
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open