AISF 2010: An Dún vs Cill Dara

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 01, 2010, 06:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Every final defeat hurts but how did you think it was won in 1998? from what i remember the only match Galway could & should have lost was the Connacht final ...while the other games they won them with plenty to spare in the end

I think the reason for less hype this time in Kildare is because they have been to 3 quarter finals in a row & know not to get carried away by a semi final

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: ross4life on August 19, 2010, 12:28:24 AM
Every final defeat hurts but how did you think it was won in 1998? from what i remember the only match Galway could & should have lost was the Connacht final ...while the other games they won them with plenty to spare in the end

I think the reason for less hype this time in Kildare is because they have been to 3 quarter finals in a row & know not to get carried away by a semi final

I think the whole country thought we had it won in '98. Kildare had a group of players that had been knocking on the door for a long time and had beaten the previous three All-Ireland champions that year - Dublin '95, Meath '96, Kerry '97. Galway on the other hand came in under the radar somewhat with a youngish team.

For a lot of people (not including myself here!) that final was just a case of turning up and collecting the cup and back down to Naas/Newbridge for the session. The hype probably did seep through to the team to a certain extent but that wasn't what beat us that day. The littany of injuries to key players (Ryan, Buckley, Quinn) and obviously a damn good Galway team scuppered Kildare that day.

Whoever wins this semi-final hopefully won't have to face the same challenge because the winner of this weekend's semi will be raging hot favourites going into the final.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 19, 2010, 12:44:15 AM

I think the whole country thought we had it won in '98. Kildare had a group of players that had been knocking on the door for a long time and had beaten the previous three All-Ireland champions that year - Dublin '95, Meath '96, Kerry '97. Galway on the other hand came in under the radar somewhat with a youngish team.

For a lot of people (not including myself here!) that final was just a case of turning up and collecting the cup and back down to Naas/Newbridge for the session. The hype probably did seep through to the team to a certain extent but that wasn't what beat us that day. The littany of injuries to key players (Ryan, Buckley, Quinn) and obviously a damn good Galway team scuppered Kildare that day.

Whoever wins this semi-final hopefully won't have to face the same challenge because the winner of this weekend's semi will be raging hot favourites going into the final.

Galway had put in a decent show v Tyrone in 1995 & in 1998 they beat a Mayo team that had got to back to back finals, I still remember the Sunday program back then... pat & the boys said whoever wins this tie (galway v Mayo) will be one of the favourites for the All Ireland...a far cry from today
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

southdown

lynchbhoy

people didnt realise that day that Kildare didnt have enough natural scoring forwards ! Loads of half forward grafters but no out and out score getters !
Kildare did magnificently well to get to the final!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2010, 10:47:29 AM

people didnt realise that day that Kildare didnt have enough natural scoring forwards ! Loads of half forward grafters but no out and out score getters !
Kildare did magnificently well to get to the final!

True enough LB. Apart from Karl O'Dwyer and Eddie McCormack the four other lads weren't natural score getters. Eddie on his day could be unstoppable but he tended to be very inconsistent. Dec Kerrigan was a great playmaker but most of his best work was done out around midfield picking up breaks. Earley and Martin Lynch were midfielders and Pádraig Graven was there primarily for his accuracy from the frees.

That's why 2000 was more of a disappointment for me. Apart from Niall Buckley we had the same defence and midfield but we had added a few young forwards that year who could score - Tadhg Fennin, Pádraig Brennan and Johnny Doyle.

lynchbhoy

Eddie was a fantastic HF and got great scores but that wasnt his forte at all. I'd not be looking for him to do all the scoring. To be fair tohim, he chipped in with his fair share on top of winning great ball and breaks out the field and winning frees with his direct running.
O'Dwyer super on his day but too windy.  Graven enigmatic and also a bit inj prone/windy.
Tom Harris, Martin, D Early etc were all ball winners that could score but Kildare lacked an ollie murphy, mickey linden, tony boyle etc

Donnellys Hollow

Dermot Earley has returned to training tonight.

amallon

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Lecale2

How are ticket sales going? The Cork/Dubs game is expected to sell out.

umpire

Quote from: Lecale2 on August 20, 2010, 09:50:45 AM
How are ticket sales going? The Cork/Dubs game is expected to sell out.

My guess that the attendance will be in around 40,000 for 29 August.

Rois

Looking for 3 premium level seats to purchase - any help out there?  (not for me, for my office Managing Partner so I want to do the boss a favour)

mick999

Quote from: Rois on August 20, 2010, 11:54:56 AM
Looking for 3 premium level seats to purchase - any help out there?  (not for me, for my office Managing Partner so I want to do the boss a favour)

This is the site where current Premium ticket holders sell their tickets ...

https://teamexchange.ticketmastereurope.com/html/eventlist.htmI?l=EN&team=crokepark

Keep checking back here regularly ...

To buy the tickets you need to be either an existing Premium seat holder, Or be a member for the Priomh club for €100 annual membership ...

Over the Bar

QuoteDermot Earley has returned to training tonight.

Some boost for Kildare.

provided his knee isn't at home in a glass jar....