AISF 2010: Corcaigh vs Áth Cliath

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 01, 2010, 06:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Not so much about not being able (at all) Jinxy, more about maximising the percentages, where against Dublin the manager's suspicion was that we might win only 40% of our own kick-outs; paradoxically, we've never been particularly strong in that respect in recent years, but perhaps we had more of the running game to counteract the opposition's superiority in the middle, formerly.

Definitely a concern though, and the fixing of which will constitute something of an immediate priority I'd say.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2010, 09:59:20 PM
Is there no one in Tyrone that could catch a ball around the middle?

Jinxy when you put a half forward back in front of your fullback line it really reduces you chances of winning breaking ball especially when it's your biggest half forward and when the midfielders aren't used to winning the ball it also reduces the chances.

liihb

I'm surprised that no team has seen McMahon as the obvious weak link in that full back line and targeted him more. Armagh and Tyrone left him off to be the spare man.
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: liihb on August 04, 2010, 04:26:12 PM
I'm surprised that no team has seen McMahon as the obvious weak link in that full back line and targeted him more. Armagh and Tyrone left him off to be the spare man.
Philly McMahon is a solid player.
There are no glaring weakness in that Dublin full backline.
Fitzimmons,O Carroll and McMahon work together fairly well as a unit.

liihb

Disagree on Philly McMahon, have seen him quite a few times at club level and solid alright, but not to the standard or potential of the other 2. In saying that, I don't have too many alternatives, but you saw what Bray did to him
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Frank Casey

From today's De Paper. Canty to be a big loss. Cork looked leaderless without him in the later stages of the replay against Kerry in the Munster semi-final.

CORK captain Graham Canty looks set to miss their All-Ireland semi-final battle against Dublin after a scan revealed that he had suffered a Grade 2 tear to his hamstring during Sunday's quarter-final win over Roscommon.

Canty underwent the scan on Monday and the results yesterday confirmed the extent of the injury, which leaves him facing an uphill battle to be available for the Dublin clash. The recovery period for that type of hamstring tear is generally four to six weeks which means Canty would require a major recovery to be available for the August 22 tie in Croke Park and the loss of their talismanic captain would be a major blow to Cork's aspirations.

In addition Cork full-forward Ciaran Sheehan is classed as a major doubt after a scan showed he had damaged the cartilage in his right knee towards the end of the Roscommon match. The 19-year-old, who has impressed in his debut season at senior inter-county level, could require keyhole surgery.

http://irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hopes-fading-for-canty-to-face-dublin-126988.html

KERRY 3:7

timmykelleher

I can see Cork using the short kickouts similar to Tyrone in an attempt to draw Dublin out/ secure guaranteed possession.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

INDIANA

Quote from: timmykelleher on August 04, 2010, 11:11:58 PM
I can see Cork using the short kickouts similar to Tyrone in an attempt to draw Dublin out/ secure guaranteed possession.

:D. You must be joking!. with the size advantage Cork have around the middle thats better then any kerryman's yerra yerra.

heffo

Quote from: timmykelleher on August 04, 2010, 11:11:58 PM

Pulease! No chance of Cork going short - they are far stronger in midfield than us

ross4life

Cork been favourites will help the Dubs in this game, It's hard to believe Dublin & Cork have gone so long since winning Sam in Dublins case it's 1995 since there last final, great chance for both to end the famine... IMO Cork will win if they start the 15 that finished v us
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

INDIANA

Quote from: ross4life on August 05, 2010, 05:43:35 PM
Cork been favourites will help the Dubs in this game, It's hard to believe Dublin & Cork have gone so long since winning Sam in Dublins case it's 1995 since there last final, great chance for both to end the famine... IMO Cork will win if they start the 15 that finished v us

cork aren't as big a favourites as they should be. Dublin's odds are shortening unfortunately which will fuel the hype that has been dormant to now. Also I'm not sure we're as good as people think we are. Just hoping for a decent performance. Anything else is a bonus.

ross4life

How many of the Dublin starting 15 v Tyrone are 23 or under it's seems like a very young looking team this year

IMO Bernard Brogan has been Footballer of the Year so far.. will be interesting to see how the cork backs deal with him? & Gaa HQ said it's going to be a sell out so 60,000 Dubs going?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Quote from: INDIANA on August 05, 2010, 09:57:07 PM
I'm not sure we're as good as people think we are. Just hoping for a decent performance. Anything else is a bonus.

You're supposed to put a YERRA or 2 before them kind of comments  :D :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Quote from: ross4life on August 05, 2010, 10:02:30 PM
How many of the Dublin starting 15 v Tyrone are 23 or under it's seems like a very young looking team this year

IMO Bernard Brogan has been Footballer of the Year so far.. will be interesting to see how the cork backs deal with him? & Gaa HQ said it's going to be a sell out so 60,000 Dubs going?

He has but he he still doesn't have the consistent string of good performances in the championship his brother has. Bernard is far more gifted but at times isn't as consistent. Its tough as he's usually double marked these days. But by and large he's been brilliant this year.

u23's not many Ross.

Mc Auley is 23. You'd have to ask Pillar why that took so long

Nolan is 22

Mc Mahon is about 22.

O Carroll is 21

Thats it from the first 15.

INDIANA

Quote from: Rossfan on August 05, 2010, 10:04:33 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 05, 2010, 09:57:07 PM
I'm not sure we're as good as people think we are. Just hoping for a decent performance. Anything else is a bonus.

You're supposed to put a YERRA or 2 before them kind of comments  :D :D

Its true though. Still a very raw Dublin team. Cork are far more experienced and seasoned.