Mobile phone contracts

Started by ardal, July 30, 2010, 10:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardal

What's the craic with "breaking your contract".

I've been with Orange for years, never had a bother with them.

Then one day some one pointed out that the stoneage mobile I had could be replaced by the points I'd accumulated with orange; yeah I'm slow as I'd never thought to upgrade the phone.

So aways I go and upgrades to this yoke with all this shite I've no idea how to use. About 2 weeks later I got head by a car whilst on the motor bike, and the fecker drove off. Took me a couple of hours to realise that the paper thin screen on the phone was smashed and thus the phone was unusable. I contacted orange and told them what happened and asked if I could you use some of the remaining 1000,s of points I had to replace the broken phone. They refused and insisted I had to buy a new one from them because I could only replace the phone once every 18 months.
I explained rather nicely that if this was the case I'd simply change service provider and get a new phone from them. Not a bother says they. So I moved to vodaphone, who've been pretty cool about things so far, but Orange keep sending me threatening texts asking me to contact them for a special offer or else they'll penalize me. Bear in mind I've been with orange for at least 5 years. Can they penalize me? If so how much?

boojangles

Quote from: ardal on July 30, 2010, 10:25:52 PM
What's the craic with "breaking your contract".

I've been with Orange for years, never had a bother with them.

Then one day some one pointed out that the stoneage mobile I had could be replaced by the points I'd accumulated with orange; yeah I'm slow as I'd never thought to upgrade the phone.

So aways I go and upgrades to this yoke with all this shite I've no idea how to use. About 2 weeks later I got head by a car whilst on the motor bike, and the fecker drove off. Took me a couple of hours to realise that the paper thin screen on the phone was smashed and thus the phone was unusable. I contacted orange and told them what happened and asked if I could you use some of the remaining 1000,s of points I had to replace the broken phone. They refused and insisted I had to buy a new one from them because I could only replace the phone once every 18 months.
I explained rather nicely that if this was the case I'd simply change service provider and get a new phone from them. Not a bother says they. So I moved to vodaphone, who've been pretty cool about things so far, but Orange keep sending me threatening texts asking me to contact them for a special offer or else they'll penalize me. Bear in mind I've been with orange for at least 5 years. Can they penalize me? If so how much?

Change your number

ardal

Me on round about, car decides to join without taking me into account, mad blonde thing jumps out, gives head, and drives off..

ardal

So because I kept a contract with them for years, upgraded my phone with my points, they can state that I started a new contract with them. Bunch of orange bas......

pintsofguinness

I hated orange, couldn't wait to get away from them, thought they were very dear too!
Also hate car drivers who ignore you because you're not in a car - I experience that daily.
blondes giving head, assuming they're female, they're ok. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ardal

Quote from: All of a Sludden on July 30, 2010, 10:38:30 PM
You started the new contract when you got the new phone.

I signed nothing. Taking for granted that ticking or not ticking a box on an email gives them the right to state I've renewed my contract, has this ever been legally challenged?

southdown

My coverage with Orange was rubbish, sent them a strongly worder letter quoting the Unfair Contract Terms Act and my contract was cancelled within a few weeks.

ardal

Can't really complain about service because I've stayed with them so long. What's the craic on libel if I start a blog or forum discussing "what if your future was bright but your mobile treated you like shite"