Our Wee country fans plan to Wreck Avivia stadium

Started by Peter Solan the Great, July 30, 2010, 05:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

'I was referring to our friend Myles.'

Knew you liked me really.  :)

The Worker

snoopdog

maybe we should get a few logins for our wee country and discuss the great result by Down on sat.
After all Down is in our wee country. They would go mental.
Personally i couldn give a feck what they talk about doing to the dung bowl in ballsbridge. never seen such a stupid looking thing, what is up with the old north terrace

saffron sam2

The decision by CAS is unlikely to affect my lack of support for the free state / FAI soccer team.

Folk need to distinguish between real nationality and footballing 'nationality'.

Soccer mercenaries will do what is best for their careers. Had CAS agreed with the IFA, any eligible player born in Jerome's north would still have made themselves available for the IFA team; there would have been no conscientious objectors.

I am also of the opinion that elements of the IFA and great swathes of their supporters are secretly delighted with the outcome - a protestant team for a protestant people.

A few points having scan read the thread.

Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 30, 2010, 08:42:20 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 30, 2010, 08:37:28 PM
Big Rab is probably some blue wkd addled spide from a loyalist cesspit so his comments are probably best ignored. Despite the terms and conditions of that site forbidding offensive comment you could bet your life he won't get a ban as everyone knows that site is administered by tramps.
OWC have a serious inferiority complex, and how could they not, playing that rat infested shithole in South Belfast.

The funny part is that these boys are cowards and know they'd get
The same medicine the English got when they started their nonsense in Lansdowne.
The site is better moderated than this one by quite a distance. You wouldn't away with the personal abuse, threats and invitations to have a fight that go on here. Not for a second.

But you do get away with rampant racism. The Irish travelling community are a recognised ethnic group, hence the use of terms such as 'beggar', 'tarmacker' etc. are racist. Simple. Yet not only are these terms tolerated by moderators, they are used by them.

Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 30, 2010, 08:51:26 PM
Quote from: The Watcher Pat on July 30, 2010, 08:44:37 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 30, 2010, 08:42:20 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 30, 2010, 08:37:28 PM
Big Rab is probably some blue wkd addled spide from a loyalist cesspit so his comments are probably best ignored. Despite the terms and conditions of that site forbidding offensive comment you could bet your life he won't get a ban as everyone knows that site is administered by tramps.
OWC have a serious inferiority complex, and how could they not, playing that rat infested shithole in South Belfast.

The funny part is that these boys are cowards and know they'd get
The same medicine the English got when they started their nonsense in Lansdowne.
The site is better moderated than this one by quite a distance. You wouldn't away with the personal abuse, threats and invitations to have a fight that go on here. Not for a second.

But you can post anything you want about the "beggars" or be banned for disagreeing with their view....explain please
I don't like the term 'beggars' and I've said so on the OWC site. Up until 5 minutes ago I haven't been banned yet. I disagree with people on there quite frequently and many disagree with some of my posts. So long as you do so within the rules - i.e no personal abuse, no trolling - nobody gets too steamed up about it. There are one or two from the GAA Board who post on OWC and while they take a bit of flak, they argue their corner and haven't been banned. Sometimes it's not what you say, but how and when you say it.

That's that sorted then. How do you feel with other racist terms? Nigger, Coon, Paki, Wog, Gravedigger etc. Says a lot about you and those who post on owc.

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 01, 2010, 11:56:28 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 31, 2010, 01:57:04 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 31, 2010, 01:31:52 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 31, 2010, 12:54:24 PM
What do you think about the ruling itself Myles? Personally I find it absolutely astonishing that anyone would not understand that northern nationalists woulld rather play for the republic. If you have a history of abusing catholic players, surely its the least you'd expect??
The ruling is correct and I understand why the FAI have gone down the road of playing northerners. However, I think the Irish government should have stepped in long ago and warned them off. This issue goes beyond football. If Irish nationalists are serious about unity, then they have to start thinking about persuading northern unionists that their interests will be safe guarded in any all Ireland state. How are we going to do that by taking from them something they prize dearly, namely their football team? You only have to read a few threads on OWC to get a sense of how much bitterness this decision has caused. This was a golden opportunity for the Irish government to be statesman-like and to set aside short term sporting gain in order to gain the trust and respect of the unionist community up here. Unfortunately, it seems that the Dept of Foreign Affairs chose to throw its weight behind the FAI rather than reining it back. So 'we've' won and 'themmuns' have lost and in the process, reunification has been pushed back another couple of decades.

How does this ruling or the FAI's stance equate to an attempt to get rid of the NI football team? They have their team, the FAI have their own, those who consider themselves Irish play for Ireland, those who consider themselves Northern Irish play for Northern Ireland. Perfectly fair and reasonable.
A nation divided neatly along sectarian / ethnic lines. There's progress for ya!

That's exactly what you are suggesting in the bit of your post TAM highlighted.

Pints posted as pintofguinness on owc IIRC. Obviously turned him to even more drink.

Here's one for big Roger before I finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN9EC3Gy6Nk
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

MW

Quote from: saffron sam2 on August 03, 2010, 11:04:55 PM
I am also of the opinion that elements of the IFA and great swathes of their supporters are secretly delighted with the outcome - a protestant team for a protestant people.

In all the controversy over the last couple of years I haven't spoken to a single NI fan who's thought that. I've encountered two broad reactions - anger and opposition; or a more resigned "this is the situation we're in, let's get on with it and not worry any more about players who have turned their backs on us".

saffron sam2

Quote from: MW on August 03, 2010, 11:11:53 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on August 03, 2010, 11:04:55 PM

In all the controversy over the last couple of years I haven't spoken to a single NI fan who's thought that. I've encountered two broad reactions - anger and opposition; or a more resigned "this is the situation we're in, let's get on with it and not worry any more about players who have turned their backs on us".

Just my opinion. I really don't think that the feebleness (if that is a word) of the IFA challenge can be down to incompetence alone. Secondly, given that the de facto voice of the NI support, Woodvale loyalist Gary McAllister doesn't want any new Catholic neighbours, it is hard to see how he would want any polluting his team.

MW

Quote from: saffron sam2 on August 03, 2010, 11:17:21 PM
Just my opinion. I really don't think that the feebleness (if that is a word) of the IFA challenge can be down to incompetence alone.

Oh SS2, your belief in the limits of the IFA's incompetence is touching but completely misplaced. They are as useless as a marzipan dildo (copyright Malcolm Tucker) and then some. Have you ever heard Raymond Kennedy speak?

I actually don't think their challenge has been feeble. They went to FIFA at least twice to appeal the situation and then took them to the Court of Arbitration for Sport - a very serious step for any national association. In the end the simple fact was that the FIFA rules do seem to permit the current situation (even if IFA officials did make silly statements in the media [mis]quoting the wrong rules)

Secondly, given that the de facto voice of the NI support, Woodvale loyalist Gary McAllister doesn't want any new Catholic neighbours, it is hard to see how he would want any polluting his team.

All I can do is report my own experience of the reaction among NI fans.

The decision won't make the NI team all-Protestant anyway.

saffron sam2

Quote from: MW on August 03, 2010, 11:27:07 PM
Just my opinion. I really don't think that the feebleness (if that is a word) of the IFA challenge can be down to incompetence alone.

Oh SS2, your belief in the limits of the IFA's incompetence is touching but completely misplaced. They are as useless as a marzipan dildo (copyright Malcolm Tucker) and then some. Have you ever heard Raymond Kennedy speak?

I actually don't think their challenge has been feeble. They went to FIFA at least twice to appeal the situation and then took them to the Court of Arbitration for Sport - a very serious step for any national association. In the end the simple fact was that the FIFA rules do seem to permit the current situation (even if IFA officials did make silly statements in the media [mis]quoting the wrong rules)

Raymondo is no great orator, but surely it is in the gift of the rest of the IFA hierarchy to find someone who is.

When the IFA initially went to FIFA it was to ask them to implement their rules.  Had the IFA been really serious their approach should not have been the nuclear one. It should have been to identify why players were opting to play for the FAI team and how they could have been persuaded not to.

No, it won't. The crappy Fenians will still 'declare' for NI.

I still believe you should play for the geographical entity you were born in; the 'playing for their country' shite Delaney has been coming out with is particularly sickening.  Will I go to hell?

Main Street

The IFA appeal to CAS to request FIFA to implement FIFA rules (as they the IFA could only interpret them) was an example of supreme folly and intellectual feebleness. That you don't see this, even after all my painfully pedantic perfectionist explanation of the statutes of eligibility to you  ::)
You shoulda stayed away  :)

Myles Na G.

'How do you feel with other racist terms? Nigger, Coon, Paki, Wog, Gravedigger etc. Says a lot about you and those who post on owc.'

I've been on that site 2 years now and I haven't come across any of those terms. Could you post a link or tell me where I could find them?

Rav67

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 04, 2010, 07:14:37 PM
'How do you feel with other racist terms? Nigger, Coon, Paki, Wog, Gravedigger etc. Says a lot about you and those who post on owc.'

I've been on that site 2 years now and I haven't come across any of those terms. Could you post a link or tell me where I could find them?

Read his post again.  SS2 quite clearly referred to the repeated use of one offensive term, which you seem happy to acquiesce in.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Rav67 on August 04, 2010, 08:34:18 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 04, 2010, 07:14:37 PM

Read his post again.  SS2 quite clearly referred to the repeated use of one offensive term, which you seem happy to acquiesce in.
Really? Here's a copy of a post I made on OWC in response to another poster's claim that the term 'beggar' was used because the RoI's habit of 'begging' for players:

'That's the official version, but there's a more pernicious sub text. 'Gypos' is one of the terms of sectarian / racist abuse used in our society. Anyone who ever attended a Cliftonville - Linfield match in the '80s or '90s (maybe it still is - I don't go these days) will be aware that it is used by loyalist bigots to taunt their Catholic rivals (who have a wide selection of their own sectarian / racist terms with which to respond, but we'll save that for another thread). I've also heard the term 'gypo' used on one occasion at Ravenhill when Munster were visiting. The term can't be used openly these days without leaving oneself open to the accusation of being an out and out neanderthal, but there are words and references which achieve the same objective in a more subtle way. One way is to refer to occupations traditionally associated with gypsies or travellers. See, for example, the number of references to 'tarmacers' that appear fairly frequently on this board. Sickboy made a reference to the southerners 'ruining his driveway' on this thread earlier which is another example of the genre. Gypsies were often seen on the streets of Dublin, either selling small items of jewellery, or simply with their hand out looking for money. Gypsies became synonymous with begging, and since gypsies usually had southern brogues, it was an easy leap for people looking for a barb to hurl to label southerners as beggars. The line about the FAI begging for players (why not call them the poachers, in that case?) was only dredged up to cover what is a fairly obvious sectarian / racist slur.'

Now, can you direct me to the post on this board in which you (or anyone else, for that matter) has queried the use of the term 'huns' to describe the Rangers team and its supporters?

MW

Quote from: Main Street on August 04, 2010, 01:17:19 PM

The IFA appeal to CAS to request FIFA to implement FIFA rules (as they the IFA could only interpret them) was an example of supreme folly and intellectual feebleness. That you don't see this, even after all my painfully pedantic perfectionist explanation of the statutes of eligibility to you  ::)
You shoulda stayed away  :)

Main Street, old son, your powers of comprehension are seriously failing you tonight.

SS2 wasn't referring to the IFA challenge as feeble as in "intellectual feebleness" - he meant it wasn't pursued with particular vigour. It might have beem ill-concieved but it didn't lack effort, however wrongly-directed.

MW

Quote from: saffron sam2 on August 03, 2010, 11:44:24 PM
Raymondo is no great orator, but surely it is in the gift of the rest of the IFA hierarchy to find someone who is.

Possibly, but it might be a bit like looking around the Vatican for someone to do your son's bar mitzvah.

When the IFA initially went to FIFA it was to ask them to implement their rules.  Had the IFA been really serious their approach should not have been the nuclear one. It should have been to identify why players were opting to play for the FAI team and how they could have been persuaded not to.

They may have done that. They certainly tried to persuade Darron Gibson to come back and managed to persuade Tony Kane (both had been pissed off by an underage coach). Probably could do more though.

No, it won't. The crappy Fenians will still 'declare' for NI.

I still believe you should play for the geographical entity you were born in; the 'playing for their country' shite Delaney has been coming out with is particularly sickening.  Will I go to hell?

Possibly, you're a heretic ;D

The "playing for their country" stuff feels to me like an attempt to achemise an all-Ireland team (and polity?).

MW

Quote from: stibhan on July 30, 2010, 10:43:43 PM
Quote from: gerry on July 30, 2010, 10:35:28 PM

Must say, the IRFU and FAI have in their own arrogant deceitful ways done more to turn me off the idea of a united Ireland than the IRA ever did.

That is the single worst post I've ever read.

A bit of a crazy sentiment IMO, but there is actually a kernel in there I can relate to.

The IRFU's actions and attitude in in last few years have shown me that all-Ireland teams can't exist on a balanced basis in mass-spectator sports.

And actually the southern nationalist chauvinism evident in both international rugby union and rugby league, in a situation where there are actually two very clear geopolitical entities on this island, seperated by an international border, does make me wonder how Northern Irish and British identities would manage to be respected if there were an all-Ireland state.

For me, "IRFU" is a four-letter word...