Our Wee country fans plan to Wreck Avivia stadium

Started by Peter Solan the Great, July 30, 2010, 05:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

What heinous crimes have the IRFU and FAI committed (incompetence doesn't count).
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 02, 2010, 05:22:44 PM
Quote from: maddog on August 02, 2010, 10:36:51 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 02, 2010, 06:15:20 AM
Quote from: ardal on August 01, 2010, 09:53:59 PM
Not that much into soccer, but from reading this thread, I understand that the IFA are the lads in the north and the FAI are the lads in the south. Now if I've got this right so far, would I be correct that IFA stand for "Irish football association?" If so ,should FIFA not demand that all eligible members of the IFA; players and officials,  have / hold proof of their Irishness eg a passport
1.Your post implies that there's only one brand of Irish on the island.
2. How would you have members of the Scottish and Welsh Associations prove their Scottishness and Welshness?
::)

How many brands of Irish are there on the island ?
Two main ones - native Irish and Irish of planter stock.
Posting that sorta shite will get you banned of OWC - are 'Pradestants' born in NI not natives?????  Big faux pas

MW

Quote from: muppet on August 04, 2010, 11:00:48 PM
What heinous crimes have the IRFU and FAI committed (incompetence doesn't count).

I'm talking specifically about the IRFU and their notion of equal recognition and representation of the RoI and NI.

muppet

Quote from: MW on August 04, 2010, 11:15:53 PM

I'm talking specifically about the IRFU and their notion of equal recognition and representation of the RoI and NI.

Could you explain that a bit more please?

Do they have a policy that they are not adhering to?
MWWSI 2017

stibhan

Quote from: MW on August 04, 2010, 10:58:11 PM
Quote from: stibhan on July 30, 2010, 10:43:43 PM
Quote from: gerry on July 30, 2010, 10:35:28 PM

Must say, the IRFU and FAI have in their own arrogant deceitful ways done more to turn me off the idea of a united Ireland than the IRA ever did.

That is the single worst post I've ever read.

A bit of a crazy sentiment IMO, but there is actually a kernel in there I can relate to.

The IRFU's actions and attitude in in last few years have shown me that all-Ireland teams can't exist on a balanced basis in mass-spectator sports.

And actually the southern nationalist chauvinism evident in both international rugby union and rugby league, in a situation where there are actually two very clear geopolitical entities on this island, seperated by an international border, does make me wonder how Northern Irish and British identities would manage to be respected if there were an all-Ireland state.

For me, "IRFU" is a four-letter word...

I understand and accept complaints about the IRFU and its supporters, and I understand northern Protestant/Unionist resentment towards the FAI in this instance--even if that resentment is founded upon political rather than any putative moral causes. I do not understand comparing them with the IRA.

MW

Quote from: muppet on August 04, 2010, 11:17:14 PM

No, it's the policy they are adhering to that I have an issue with.

(Sadly rugby league, which was exemplary from what I could see, decided to go down the southern-chauvinist route too recently)

MW

Quote from: stibhan on August 04, 2010, 11:18:24 PM
Quote from: MW on August 04, 2010, 10:58:11 PM
Quote from: stibhan on July 30, 2010, 10:43:43 PM
Quote from: gerry on July 30, 2010, 10:35:28 PM

Must say, the IRFU and FAI have in their own arrogant deceitful ways done more to turn me off the idea of a united Ireland than the IRA ever did.

That is the single worst post I've ever read.

A bit of a crazy sentiment IMO, but there is actually a kernel in there I can relate to.

The IRFU's actions and attitude in in last few years have shown me that all-Ireland teams can't exist on a balanced basis in mass-spectator sports.

And actually the southern nationalist chauvinism evident in both international rugby union and rugby league, in a situation where there are actually two very clear geopolitical entities on this island, seperated by an international border, does make me wonder how Northern Irish and British identities would manage to be respected if there were an all-Ireland state.

For me, "IRFU" is a four-letter word...

I understand and accept complaints about the IRFU and its supporters, and I understand northern Protestant/Unionist resentment towards the FAI in this instance--even if that resentment is founded upon political rather than any putative moral causes. I do not understand comparing them with the IRA.

Yeah that bit's just crazy. A sporting organistion's policy on flags, eligibility and whatnot can't in any way be equated with a mass murder campaign.

muppet

Quote from: MW on August 04, 2010, 11:19:53 PM

(Sadly rugby league, which was exemplary from what I could see, decided to go down the southern-chauvinist route too recently)

What is this 'southern chauvinist route'?

MWWSI 2017

MW

Quote from: muppet on August 04, 2010, 11:22:54 PM
Quote from: MW on August 04, 2010, 11:19:53 PM

What is this 'southern chauvinist route'?

After an exemplary past using Ireland's Call (and a four-provinces type flag), they decided to jack it all in for the 2008 World Cup and use Amhran na bhFiann instead.

Main Street

Quote from: MW on August 04, 2010, 10:35:16 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 04, 2010, 01:17:19 PM
Quote from: MW on August 03, 2010, 11:27:07 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on August 03, 2010, 11:17:21 PM
Just my opinion. I really don't think that the feebleness (if that is a word) of the IFA challenge can be down to incompetence alone.

Oh SS2, your belief in the limits of the IFA's incompetence is touching but completely misplaced. They are as useless as a marzipan dildo (copyright Malcolm Tucker) and then some. Have you ever heard Raymond Kennedy speak?

I actually don't think their challenge has been feeble. They went to FIFA at least twice to appeal the situation and then took them to the Court of Arbitration for Sport - a very serious step for any national association. In the end the simple fact was that the FIFA rules do seem to permit the current situation (even if IFA officials did make silly statements in the media [mis]quoting the wrong rules)

The IFA appeal to CAS to request FIFA to implement FIFA rules (as they the IFA could only interpret them) was an example of supreme folly and intellectual feebleness. That you don't see this, even after all my painfully pedantic perfectionist explanation of the statutes of eligibility to you  ::)
You shoulda stayed away  :)

Main Street, old son, your powers of comprehension are seriously failing you tonight.

SS2 wasn't referring to the IFA challenge as feeble as in "intellectual feebleness" - he meant it wasn't pursued with particular vigour. It might have beem ill-concieved but it didn't lack effort, however wrongly-directed.

I have not got your powers of,  shall we say, creative comprehension, nor your certainty that your own interpretation is the one true interpretation  ::) , which you retain despite your previous form, struggling very badly with the basics of FIFA eligibility comprehension  ;D

The IFA challenge was feeble from the bottom to the top, no matter what way you may wish to construe a  "Rajput folly" determination to travel first class on a flight to Zurich, spending a relative fortune on expenses and a legal team, in order to wail and whine about how right they are and everybody else has it wrong.
Feeble at the top  -  no intellectual grasp of the eligibility topic. 
Feeble at the bottom,  as in no foundation to their legal case.
What you could call´total feebleness´.
When "feeble challenge" is used to describe an appeal case, that's what a person like me understands it to mean.

Hardy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 04, 2010, 09:15:44 PM
Now, can you direct me to the post on this board in which you (or anyone else, for that matter) has queried the use of the term 'huns' to describe the Rangers team and its supporters?

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=9395.msg377687#msg377687
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=4063.msg133799#msg133799

lynchbhoy

Quote from: MW on August 04, 2010, 11:21:23 PM
Yeah that bit's just crazy. A sporting organistion's policy on flags, eligibility and whatnot can't in any way be equated with a mass murder campaign.
:D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on August 05, 2010, 01:10:25 AM
I have not got your powers of,  shall we say, creative comprehension, nor your certainty that your own interpretation is the one true interpretation  ::) , which you retain despite your previous form, struggling very badly with the basics of FIFA eligibility comprehension  ;D

The IFA challenge was feeble from the bottom to the top, no matter what way you may wish to construe a  "Rajput folly" determination to travel first class on a flight to Zurich, spending a relative fortune on expenses and a legal team, in order to wail and whine about how right they are and everybody else has it wrong.
Feeble at the top  -  no intellectual grasp of the eligibility topic. 
Feeble at the bottom,  as in no foundation to their legal case.
What you could call´total feebleness´.
When "feeble challenge" is used to describe an appeal case, that's what a person like me understands it to mean.
so you reckon that the 'F' does not stand for 'football' (sic)
but rather total Foolishness
or
total Feebleness
:D

stibhan

Quote from: MW on August 04, 2010, 11:21:23 PM
a mass murder campaign.

I was going to say that sporting organisations and armies can hardly be compared, but one man's mass murder campaign is another man's revolution, etc.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Hardy on August 05, 2010, 12:01:04 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 04, 2010, 09:15:44 PM
Now, can you direct me to the post on this board in which you (or anyone else, for that matter) has queried the use of the term 'huns' to describe the Rangers team and its supporters?

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=9395.msg377687#msg377687
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=4063.msg133799#msg133799
Fair play to you - thanks for that.