Alex Higgins RIP

Started by sandwiches_in_the_boot, July 24, 2010, 07:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

He told Taylor he'd have him shot :o I seen him around the Dublin Rd, Belfast a few times and he looked terrible. Didn't know the man so can't comment...RIP
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Hurler on the Bitch

He was a genius around the table. But, his personality sucked and he was an ignorant shite! Saw a barman in Robinsons having to plead with a crowd of English rugby fans not to go near him as he would only tell them to "f**k off". He had the self-destruct button and was a pain in the arse. Missed, by snooker, yes, but not by many people who knew or knew of him.

town lad

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on July 24, 2010, 11:39:46 PM
He was a genius around the table. But, his personality sucked and he was an ignorant shite! Saw a barman in Robinsons having to plead with a crowd of English rugby fans not to go near him as he would only tell them to "f**k off". He had the self-destruct button and was a pain in the arse. Missed, by snooker, yes, but not by many people who knew or knew of him.
If you can not say  anything good about a true personality of Irish Sport on his death say nothing.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Niall Quinn

That's a good final interview. Genuinely surprised with his comments about his daughter being his greatest achievement, and the regard he placed on behaviour in defeat.
Hope he found some solace before he passed on.
RIP Alex.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Gaffer

Wonder will Aldergrove Airport be named after him?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

muppet

RIP Alex, always enjoyed watching him play.

The People's Champion (just shows though that 'the people' are idiots)
MWWSI 2017

haranguerer

Quote from: town lad on July 25, 2010, 12:57:46 AM
If you can not say  anything good about a true personality of Irish Sport on his death say nothing.

I hate this kind of shite - should everyone wax lyrical about his achievments and ignore his deficiencies, or should there just be a very short thread?

Orior

Quote from: haranguerer on July 25, 2010, 12:16:01 PM
Quote from: town lad on July 25, 2010, 12:57:46 AM

I hate this kind of shite - should everyone wax lyrical about his achievments and ignore his deficiencies, or should there just be a very short thread?

This is fundamental.

In the year 1990, highly opinionated people aired views in the pub to 5-10 fellow barflys.
In the year 2010, anyone can air a view to a very large audience through the medium of the Internet.

The repercussions are enormous.

Perhaps some college student can do a thesis on such.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: Gaffer on July 25, 2010, 11:03:06 AM
Wonder will Aldergrove Airport be named after him?

Unless planes bang into the runway, smash off the fences around the airport and land in a position where the emergency services can arrive at the scene and clear-up the damage with ease. As this is happening, the air traffic controller gets a head-but in the face while the pilot pishes in the artificial plant.

Hereiam

Surly they will name something after him. What about the new road from Aughnacloy to Derry. "The Hurricane" dual carriageway. Would get more American tourists over as they would thing they were storm chasing

fearglasmor

Would you go to someones funeral and openly denigrate the deceased.

If you would, you are obnoxious, if you wouldn't, then why do it here.

Alex Higgins was the archetypal terrible beauty.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I accidentally met him in Fibber Magee's a few years ago. He tired to lift our pints.

He was a great entertainer, made snooker what it is, and I'm sorry to hear of his death, a pitiful, pathetic figure it seems, in the end.

God rest him.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

paco

Was reading in the paper yesterday that he once threatened to get the paramilitaries to someone. Anyone know what he said and who he said it to?