What has happened Ulster Football?

Started by Bud Wiser, July 20, 2010, 09:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 20, 2010, 11:58:39 PM
Devalued me hole, an All Ireland is an All ireland, yerra the Bomber won one of his 7 medals with his apendix hanging out of him but I'm sure he values it all the same, the medal that is, the apendix is long flushed down some surgery sink hole.

Ah relax, sure i'm only quoting the Bomber!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Mike Sheehy

The quality of football and the level of competition in Ulster is atrocious. I think they are now beginning to reap the rotten harvest of a decade or more devoted to negative football. Hopefully Donegal will get their act together some day because they are the only Ulster county that play the game in the right spirit (even if they do overdo the handpassing sometimes).

Now, I know this is not something that Ulster people want to hear but they have to do something or else they will be responsible for killing the art of Gaelic football in the province.

Bud Wiser

That was why I started the thread but Nally Stand wanted to turn it into a political discussion rather than discuss the problem. When Tyrone and Armagh won their Al-Irelands I was happy for them, for Gods sake I even wrote a poem about Brian Doohers famous point and teams were even trying to copy and emulate the way they played.  If you can imagine Dooher played his first senior game in 1995, over fifteen years ago and he is corectly rated today as one of the best players in Ulster then you see my point. When the commercial brigade moved in and we had autobiographies and books and managers flying into Galway and Kildare * and it was all downhill from there.

Some seem to think that it is all about winning the All-Ireland Final but for spectators what is required is exciting games throughout the provincial championships like what we have in Leinster.

* From my own point of view the Kildare boys did not fully buy into McGeeneys formula in full and I think I might be correct in saying that there was a small upheaval at one stage and Kildare still play what we would call attractive football enough and are plugging away at it.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

LandErIn

Ulster football is not really in decline its just nobody can match Tyrone

supersarsfields

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 21, 2010, 06:49:16 AM
That was why I started the thread but Nally Stand wanted to turn it into a political discussion rather than discuss the problem. When Tyrone and Armagh won their Al-Irelands I was happy for them, for Gods sake I even wrote a poem about Brian Doohers famous point and teams were even trying to copy and emulate the way they played.  If you can imagine Dooher played his first senior game in 1995, over fifteen years ago and he is corectly rated today as one of the best players in Ulster then you see my point. When the commercial brigade moved in and we had autobiographies and books and managers flying into Galway and Kildare * and it was all downhill from there.

Some seem to think that it is all about winning the All-Ireland Final but for spectators what is required is exciting games throughout the provincial championships like what we have in Leinster.

* From my own point of view the Kildare boys did not fully buy into McGeeneys formula in full and I think I might be correct in saying that there was a small upheaval at one stage and Kildare still play what we would call attractive football enough and are plugging away at it.

There's the problem there bud. Most of the big guys realise the championship only starts after the Provincial finals. The problem with Leinster is that they think it finishes with it. And unfortunately with the standard of football down there I can't see that changing anytime soon. You's would really need to get someone to the AI final again Bud, you know just to give the province a bit of a lift.

Bud Wiser

We have Kilkenny hurlers to do that.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Bud Wiser

Main Street

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 20, 2010, 11:07:54 PM
The quoting of ex-Kerry players above just proves what I have always said i.e that Tyrone crave Kerry's approval...
Tyrone crave total approval from everyone.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 21, 2010, 04:33:04 AM
The quality of football and the level of competition in Ulster is atrocious. I think they are now beginning to reap the rotten harvest of a decade or more devoted to negative football. Hopefully Donegal will get their act together some day because they are the only Ulster county that play the game in the right spirit (even if they do overdo the handpassing sometimes).

Now, I know this is not something that Ulster people want to hear but they have to do something or else they will be responsible for killing the art of Gaelic football in the province.

Jaysus you haven't a clue. While I accept that the lot of Ulster football has fallen to herald Donegal as the saviours of pure football in Ulster is some laugh. Donegal are the masters of what Pat Spillane calls puke football. They are atrocious to watch and have been now for a long time. The team you love to hate - Tyrone, are playing the best football by far in Ulster. They made Monaghan look like a minor team on Sunday and while that did not make a good final it is hardly Tyrones fault that they were just way too good.

Hardy

Quote from: Main Street on July 21, 2010, 10:08:16 AM
The quoting of ex-Kerry players above just proves what I have always said i.e that Tyrone crave Kerry's approval...

In as much as we can generalise about such things, that seems largely to be true. What's that about? Rejoice in your puke football, celebrate your expertise in low-flying acrobatics, snuggle comfortably into your blanket defence. They bring All-Ireland titles. Embrace the system and proclaim it proudly.

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on July 21, 2010, 10:37:21 AM

In as much as we can generalise about such things, that seems largely to be true. What's that about? Rejoice in your puke football, celebrate your expertise in low-flying acrobatics, snuggle comfortably into your blanket defence. They bring All-Ireland titles. Embrace the system and proclaim it proudly.

Surely, Hardy, if Meath were back winning all-Irelands and it was on the back of an incredibly successful tactic of puke football and  sucking pus off the armpits of leprous midgets you wouldn't be complaining. GF is not a sport of beauty or artistry even at the best of times. It is often a mess to watch and maybe it is just that Ulster fuball is messier than average. Hurling, on the other hand , is an art form..   

Nally Stand

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 21, 2010, 06:49:16 AM
That was why I started the thread but Nally Stand wanted to turn it into a political discussion rather than discuss the problem.

What has Sheehys point got to do with me or the debate on this thread??

And I've no intention of turning it into a debate. I see you as being nothing but a WUM in regards this thread and was only asking you to stop talking about "nordies". That wasn't an invitation to start a debate on partition or any other political discussion you know!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Hardy

Quote from: seafoid on July 21, 2010, 10:47:49 AM
Quote from: Hardy on July 21, 2010, 10:37:21 AM

Surely, Hardy, if Meath were back winning all-Irelands and it was on the back of an incredibly successful tactic of puke football and  sucking pus off the armpits of leprous midgets you wouldn't be complaining. GF is not a sport of beauty or artistry even at the best of times. It is often a mess to watch and maybe it is just that Ulster fuball is messier than average. Hurling, on the other hand , is an art form..   

That was my point, seafoid. Apart from your last three sentences, that is. That ould nonsense maddens football people and makes us wonder why hurling people, like Tyrone people, are always looking for affirmation  And I've never seen a football match as bad as a bad hurling match.

supersarsfields

I wouldn't say we need to be liked. T'is more of a case of we're always seem to be defending ourselves. So, to be honest I blame you southern boyos for driving us to it with your callous words and cruel allegations.