Learning Irish - any advice?

Started by Tankie, July 19, 2010, 10:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

Hey Lads, I think its been about 8 months since ive been on this forum but I am looking for some help with learning Irish and I know that some of you speak the language.

Pretty much for the last few years I have been considering picking Irish back up but something else always got in the way but I am starting now, I cannot do an evening course due to work and training so I have got Rosetta Stone Level 1 Irish and I have started working through that but I am wonder if anyone know any good podcast, cds or books that I should also get that I could listen to or read when out and about. I watch some TG4 but the subtitles are nightmare as I find that I just end up reading them but its still better than nothing.

My Irish would be beginner level so any advice would be great

Cheers
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Real Laoislad

Would you not want to learn English first Tankie?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tankie

Quote from: hardstation on July 19, 2010, 10:39:51 PM
Hmm, I don't want to put you off but books, cds and podcasts (i.e DIY Irish language) will get you nowhere. Not being able to go to classes etc is going to hamper you. To learn a language, you have to be among people who speak the language.

You could try this place and they may be able to help. I was in it once and thought it was crap but sure:
http://www.anclub.ie/

Seriously, you'll not learn it in the house.

Cheers i will check that out, one of the guys I work with is fluent and a few of the other guys in the office are also learning it as their kids go to Gaelscoil so I think that they would be up for speaking some Irish daily (only found out that these lads spoke Irish recently by saying that I was starting which is great). My girlfriend would have a good bit of Irish from school and said she would pick it back up if I was going to be serious about this and also a mate too is also into it....so I'm hoping that there will be some Irish spoken when we meet up for pints and stuff so that we can actually learn it to conversational standard.
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

Is there much Irish spoken around Darndale?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

IolarCoisCuain

Don't underestimate the books Tankie. Buy Seán Óg de Paor's autobiography and read five pages a night. Of the words you don't know, you don't have to look up them all. Just look up enough to give yourself an idea. I don't know what level of Irish you did in school but fourteen years is a long time to studying a language. There'll a be a lot still in there, despite itself.

I say Seán Óg's autobiography because it's an easy read on a subject in which you have an interest: http://www.cic.ie/product.asp?idproduct=1172

And that can help you with the sports as well. Reading subtitles isn't too bad if you're listening to the words as well. Try to match the words with the translations - see how the subtitles were composed.

When you're watching games on TV on RTÉ, listen to the Raidió na Gaeltachta commentary. Sports are a great way to learn a language because the language of sports commentary is so cliched. The same phrases are used over and over. You'll hear "immeall na cearnóige" or "lár na páirce" often enough to figure out what they are, and when you get the grammar you'll see you already can handle a bit of the Tuisil Ginideach too.

You'll need help with the grammar, because the grammar is a bitch. The best book on grammar is this: http://www.litriocht.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=4881 Only problem is, it's in Irish and if you're Irish is weak that will be an issue.

There was a book written by a US academic called Donna Wong that would be ideal for you but it's out of print because there aren't enough people like you willing to learn. Happily, the publishers let you download it here: http://www.coislife.ie/Media/PDFs/wong.pdf

I take Hardstation's point about the classes but I've done a few in Dublin and I've found them mixed, to be as positive as I can about them. But best of luck Tankie - I hope it works out for you. Go n-éirí leat le do shaothar beannaithe.

Real Laois Lad - I don't mind the Dub baiting, but taking cracks at Irish with a picture of a soccer manager as an avatar is a bit much. Cut it out. Not cool.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I try to read at least 5 articles each week from Foinse in the Irish Indo, I read about somthing I have already read about in an English language paper or seen on tv, so you are not reading English but you kinda know if you are really understanding the Irish.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: hardstation on July 19, 2010, 11:44:43 PM
Ya see, my issue would be that you're better being able to speak it and understand others speaking it (fairly well) before you tackle the reading and writing.

Like a young child learning whatever language he's brought up with.

But Tankie's not a young child learning in the cradle Hardstation. He's a grown man trying to learn a second language. I guess it's different strokes for different folks but I find it much easier to learn words when I see them written down.

Accent doesn't come into it for starters. The argument that spoken Irish is somehow easier to learn never made sense to me. If you and I spoke, we would have two different ways of saying "dubh," for instance. I'd say "dove" and you'd say "do." I think you need an actual gift for languages to learn orally, rather than the old fashioned way.

Tankie

Lads cheers for ur help, i will keep reading the thread if lads are posting, I just put in another hour with the Rossetta Stone program, it's seems fairly good as there is no English and it is all pictures with you listening, seeing and talking.

In regard to written material in will get the indo on Wednesday for that Irish section, I don't think I would be ready for a book yet as I am really at basic level at the moment but I do find some stuff coming back. Also that bar could be a good place just to get me speaking a bit more, I mentioned it to my mate and we are gonna aim for a pint down there in 3-4 weeks to see how we get on but I think watching sport with Irish commentary is a real good idea and I start that this weekend
Grand Slam Saturday!

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Tankie on July 19, 2010, 10:27:08 PM
Hey Lads, I think its been about 8 months since ive been on this forum but I am looking for some help with learning Irish and I know that some of you speak the language.

Pretty much for the last few years I have been considering picking Irish back up but something else always got in the way but I am starting now, I cannot do an evening course due to work and training so I have got Rosetta Stone Level 1 Irish and I have started working through that but I am wonder if anyone know any good podcast, cds or books that I should also get that I could listen to or read when out and about. I watch some TG4 but the subtitles are nightmare as I find that I just end up reading them but its still better than nothing.

My Irish would be beginner level so any advice would be great

Cheers

Tankie

RE:In the Name of the fada

April,11 2008, 12:09:04 PM>>

I agree with whats being said in relation to learning the language but i would think i would go and learn Spanish or something before i was to learn Irish as I would probably get to use Spanish as a language.

No espanol speakers around?
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: hardstation on July 19, 2010, 10:39:51 PM
Hmm, I don't want to put you off but books, cds and podcasts (i.e DIY Irish language) will get you nowhere. Not being able to go to classes etc is going to hamper you. To learn a language, you have to be among people who speak the language.

You could try this place and they may be able to help. I was in it once and thought it was crap but sure:
http://www.anclub.ie/

Seriously, you'll not learn it in the house.

HS,
on the RTE show, In the Name of the Fada, that Korean guy was self taught on CD's. Wish I could find a link to his appearance on it.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tankie on July 20, 2010, 01:52:14 AM
Lads cheers for ur help, i will keep reading the thread if lads are posting
No hassle,glad to help
You'll Never Walk Alone.