All Ireland Quarter Final Kerry V Down

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: barelegs on July 31, 2010, 08:47:57 PM
I thought Kevin McKernan was excellent for Down today. Really stood up at the beginning of the second half and showed real leadership. Likewise with the midfield. To see both Kerry midfielders taken off shortly after half time shows demonstrates how well they played (15 in the first half aside).

Well done Down and the best of luck in the semi final.
Quirke was injured
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ONeill

Absolutely delighted for Down.

I thought Clarke was majestic - the real go-to man today. Covered every blade. For all the talent on the Kingdom's side, Clarke was head and shoulder above everyone. Croker suits Clarke - look after him well cos he's a real gem.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

barelegs

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 31, 2010, 08:48:58 PM
Quote from: barelegs on July 31, 2010, 08:47:57 PM
I thought Kevin McKernan was excellent for Down today. Really stood up at the beginning of the second half and showed real leadership. Likewise with the midfield. To see both Kerry midfielders taken off shortly after half time shows demonstrates how well they played (15 in the first half aside).

Well done Down and the best of luck in the semi final.
Quirke was injured

My mistake then, you don't pick these things up when your at the match. Thought he'd shaken off the shoulder knock he'd taken

Jinxy

Quote from: ONeill on July 31, 2010, 08:49:53 PM

I thought Clarke was majestic - the real go-to man today. Covered every blade. For all the talent on the Kingdom's side, Clarke was head and shoulder above everyone. Croker suits Clarke - look after him well cos he's a real gem.

He wasn't.
Why are people completely blowing Clarkes performance out of all proportion?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

He was. He took the game to Kerry single-handedly in the middle part of the second half.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

tbrick18

Quote from: Jinxy on July 31, 2010, 06:38:16 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 31, 2010, 06:31:58 PM
I must admit, I didnt see that coming. Down were fantastic today, great work ethic, well organised and shortage of skill. Marty Clarke was head and shoulders the best player on show today in both games.
No-one will want to play yous now after that, I hope yous can keep up that intensity because if you can, I think an all-ireland is there for the taking now.
Good luck for the rest of the year and well done!

Are you for real?
Would you rather have him or Bernard Brogan in your team?

Brogan had a good game, dont get me wrong, but Clarke was unbelievable today. He was back defending inside his own 21, taking frees, scoring from play (particularly the first half point near the end line) his tackling, passing....dont think he put a foot wrong and IMO he was the glue today that held that Down team in place. If it was a straight choice between Clarke and Brogan...based on today's games, Clarke without a doubt.

Jinxy

Sure ye Ulster boys think he's the second coming of christ since he was in secondary school.
He had a good game alright but to say he was head and shoulders above everyone else in BOTH games is a bit of a stretch.

Orior

Congrats to Down, well deserved.

Hope you can go all the way now.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

haze

Quote from: Jinxy on July 31, 2010, 09:01:17 PM

He wasn't.

I'm tempted to watch the game again to see did i miss something- my impression was that he played well, worked like a trojan but no more.

I didn't think he was as good as Gooch for example.

On that does anybody think that Gooch is totally under utilised on that Kerry team? He looked to have the beating of his man every time today, yet Kerry often still went with a big hoof in on top of Donaghy.

Do Kerry management not remember when Cooper first burst onto the scene, the havoc he used to cause... I know he is still top class but i think there is more in him. Brogan for example is a wonderful footballer and he racks up huge scores from play- why cant Kerry provide Cooper with the amount of ball Brogan gets...

thewobbler

Wonderful, wonderful stuff today.

Every single man in red and black was superb.

Clarke was good but he wasn't that good, certainly not by his standards.

McKernan, Garvey, McCartan, Gordon were the really outstanding performers. McKernan grew up as a player today. Has O Sullivan ever been given less room than Garvey gave him today?

Maginn was superb when he came on as well.

I'm delighted, absolutely delighted. It was the best organised and most efficient Down performance I think I've seen. Just f**king wonderful.

Indiana, I refer you to pages 16-19. Be a man and admit you weren't just wrong, but on a different planet.

johnpower

Quote from: haze on July 31, 2010, 09:26:26 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 31, 2010, 09:01:17 PM

He wasn't.

I'm tempted to watch the game again to see did i miss something- my impression was that he played well, worked like a trojan but no more.

I didn't think he was as good as Gooch for example.

On that does anybody think that Gooch is totally under utilised on that Kerry team? He looked to have the beating of his man every time today, yet Kerry often still went with a big hoof in on top of Donaghy.

Do Kerry management not remember when Cooper first burst onto the scene, the havoc he used to cause... I know he is still top class but i think there is more in him. Brogan for example is a wonderful footballer and he racks up huge scores from play- why cant Kerry provide Cooper with the amount of ball Brogan gets...

I agree the Gooch was very good today . I hope that he sticks around . Kerrys problems were a poor midfield .God we missed Daragh Tomas ,Paul,Tadhg, and Big Tommy . The lads kept trying .

downredblack

Being a long time coming but it was worth the wait , words can't describe how that felt today . Everyone of them that pulled that jersey on today done us proud . I have to say that the Kerry fans that I met today made me feel proud to be a part of this great organisation of ours . Class acts .

eyeswideopen

Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2010, 09:13:24 PM
Quote from: downredblack on July 30, 2010, 09:02:45 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2010, 08:45:05 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 30, 2010, 08:32:01 PM
You're mad in the head Indiana.

Kerry have three exceptional fowards and in Marc O Se, one outstanding defender.

The rest of them are no better or worse than 90% of county players.

Kerry had 9 top class players last summer and were an exceptional team for it. But this is a different vintage. Some people just see green and gold then go google eyed.

Down have no good defenders , an average midfield and 3 good forwards. And you think that will beat kerry? Ther eis only one person mad in the head mate and it ain't me. This isn't 1991 or 1968. You'd want to fast forward a bit.

Who was telling ye this ? Pat Spillane or Martin McHugh ? our defence has come on alot this year , have a look at our scores against tally in the league . An average midfield ? Ambrose would get onto any team in the country and Kalum King has had a brilliant first year and will only get better . I have no worries about our forwards if they click there are as good as most . How many times have you seen Down play Indiana ? or is your opinion based on what you read in the papers . Anyway hope the lads do themselves justice tomorrow ,  go out and give it everything . James's first year can only go down as a success .

Down are tier 2. Tomorrow they are playing a tier one side and will lose. By 7-8 points in my view. It doesn't take much for down fans to lose the run of themselves. Big wins over Sligo mean nothing at this level.

::)

johnpower

Quote from: downredblack on July 31, 2010, 09:49:44 PM
Being a long time coming but it was worth the wait , words can't describe how that felt today . Everyone of them that pulled that jersey on today done us proud . I have to say that the Kerry fans that I met today made me feel proud to be a part of this great organisation of ours . Class acts .

Best of luck . I was very impressed the way Down pulled away before half time . Meath or Kildare will present new challenges to Down but thats for another day .Enjoy you guys have been a long time in the wilderness , For us now it is post mortems and nobody does post motems like we do (rough as hell )