All Ireland Quarter Final Kerry V Down

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteI think Down will win this. Kerry are very shaky when they meet teams they are unfamiliar with.

More a case of Kerry being very shaky when they meet teams they don't rate. Down having something over Kerry raises them as a target.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

I think the key to this will be Declan O'Sullivan. If he can run at the Down defence, and drive Kerry on from the half forward line, Kerry can win this, but if Down dominate there, and get the ball into Coulter (how's his injury) and John Clarke, they'll have a great chance.

I saw Martin Clarke in the 2005 (I think) minor final, and I thought at the time he was the archetype centre forward. It should be a fascinating clash of centre forward play when you compare him to the more dynamic, ball carrying Declan O'Sullivan.

I'll be in a snug in Cahirciveen somewhere, with the help of God, watching this one, can't wait.

By the way KM, every time I see a Kerry team named, I'm amazed at the amount of players from small, junior clubs. If them clubs were transferred up to Offaly, you'd have about 4 from Stacks, 6 from Rahillys, 3 from Crokes and 4 from an  Gaelteacht on the panel. The likes of Dromid, Kilcummin, Rathmore, Renard, Finuge, Glenbeigh and Cromane wouldn't have a hope of being represented. I think that, more than anything else, is the 'secret' of Kerry. All players, even from small clubs, get the chance to play and train at a high club level through the South Kerrys, East Kerrys, Saint Brendans of the world, so they can a) prove themselves and b) be ready to step up to a county panel.

Kerry Mike

Quoteis the 'secret' of Kerry

sssssshhhhhh you are spending too much time in the Kingdom. Enjoy the music festival, will be in Croker doing my biteen for the county.

But its great to see small clubs getting a chance and to see their man up at the top level , the divisional structure is a great thing when used properly and I think Jack has the balance right at the moment. Lads can play Intermediate, Junior or novice with their club but still play senior level county championship with their division which gives them double the exposure. Its a system that need refreshing all the time and Jack has added well to the Kerry panel again this year with all the defections from last year, since our last visit to Croker in the All Ireland Final last year we will be missing 6 starters from that day and also 9 subs. Big changes to the panel this year which many outsiders may not be aware of.

Anyway all this talk of dominating Kerry's midfield should be in the myth section, Seamus Scanlon has been a great workhorse for the last few years and rarely comes out in second place, and even though Mike Quirke may not be the most mobile he will still win a lot of primary ball and he will distribute it quickly, not many beat him in the air, Cork have huge men in the midfield area yet they hate it when Quirke is playing he spooks them out I think, and then you have David Moran & Anthony Maher primed on the bench, I'd have no worries with our midfield at least holding their own. Its the full back line I'm concerned about
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Mike Tyson

Can't for the life of me see where all this optimism from Down fans is coming from. We're going to get pumped

Kerry Mike

Kerry's team talk will be short and sweet on Saturday morning, Lets do it for Paul and Tomás I can see the Kerry lads really burst a gut to try an get a semi final place secured for the return of the 2 buckos.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

snoopdog

Kerry by 5.
Clarke will freeze again on the big day and Down will resort to pumping high ball in to Benny again.
No hope whatsoever. Struggled against an average Donegal, forgot how to play when Tyrone turned the screw, Should have been beat out the door by Offally in the first 10 minutes in Tullamore , Fair enough we thumped sligo. I have been to all these games and do not see any optimism at all of beating Kerry.
But again i will follow them in hope more than anything that we have one big performance in us that might be a turning point.

Kerry Mike

AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

western exile

Much has been made many times about the great strength in depth of the Kerry panel, where "even the subs have All-Ireland medals", etc.
So, why is it that they always need to call upon their "prodigal sons" to return to the panel?   e.g. last year Mike McCarthy, and now Aidan O'Mahoney.
Does Jack O'Connor not trust his bench?

T O Hare

"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

T O Hare

Has Daniel Bohans injury cleared up??? He has a lot of family in Mayobridge :)

Kerry Mike

Quirke is 6'7" , yes Bohane looks to be fit he is in the subs anyway,  ye are as bad as the Tyronies trying to claim one of our own or else there are alot of northies settled around Rock Street inTralee, the home of the famed Austin Stacks
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

T O Hare

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 29, 2010, 11:36:01 AM
Quirke is 6'7" , yes Bohane looks to be fit he is in the subs anyway,  ye are as bad as the Tyronies trying to claim one of our own or else there are alot of northies settled around Rock Street inTralee, the home of the famed Austin Stacks

His father is a Bridge man!! Thats were his talents lie :) Jesus i thought Kalum King was big at 6'3"... Quirke has impressed me a lot over the years!!! He has been unlucky in that Darragh was around for so long!!!

blanketattack

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 29, 2010, 11:36:01 AM

That'd be like Osama Bin Laden settling in the Sistine Chapel

Kerry Mike

The changes in personel from the last game we played in Croke Park last September

2010                         2009
1. Brendan Kealy         Diarmuid Murphy
2. Marc Ó Sé              Marc Ó Sé       
3. Tommy Griffin         Tommy Griffin   
4. Tom O' Sullivan       Tom O' Sullivan
5. Aidan O'Mahony      Tomas O'Se
6. Mike McCarthy         Mike McCarthy
7. Killian Young           Killian Young
8. Seamus Scanlon      Darragh O'Se
9. Micheál Quirke         Seamus Scanlon
10. Darran O'Sullivan    Paul Galvin
11. Declan O'Sullivan    Declan O'Sullivan
12. Donnacha Walsh    Tadhg Kennelly
13. Colm Cooper         Colm Cooper
14. Kieran Donaghy     Tommy Walsh 
15. Bryan Sheehan      Darran O'Sullivan

16 David Hennessey    Ger Reidy
17. Anthony Maher     Aidan O'Mahony
18 Barry John Keane   Donnacha Walsh
19. David Moran         Bryan Sheehan
20. Daniel Bohan        Micheal Quirke
21. Kieran O'Leary      Paul O'Connor
22. Adrian O'Connell   Padraig Reidy
23. Niall O'Mahony      David Moran
24. Jonathan Lyne      Anthony Maher
25. Johnny Buckley     Sean O'Sullivan
26. Brendan Guiney    Daniel Bohan
27. David O'Callaghan  Kieran Donaghy
28                            Aidan O'Shea
29                            Maurice Corridan
30                            Barry John Walsh
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Kerry Mike

QuoteMuch has been made many times about the great strength in depth of the Kerry panel, where "even the subs have All-Ireland medals", etc.
So, why is it that they always need to call upon their "prodigal sons" to return to the panel?   e.g. last year Mike McCarthy, and now Aidan O'Mahoney.
Does Jack O'Connor not trust his bench?

When you compare 2009 to today Jack has put great trust in his bench with 5 of last years subs starting on Sat including O'Mahony with the goalie the only new player to break straight onto the starting team, and I'm sure when the time comes those currently on the bench serving their apprenticeships will be well able to step up to the mark.

But its also good to see lads like McCarthy and O'Mahony and the likes of Tyrone's Stephen O'Neill getting their hunger back for the game, players get burnt out year after year and sometimes need some time out and if they are good enough when they return then no problem in them getting their place, if that means some fellow in the panel being pissed off so be it , they will have to work harder to get back in. Brendan Guiney has returned to the panel this year having been out for 3 years, he has played a part in 2 All Ireland wins coming on as a sub in 2 finals, 2004 and 2006 and that was a reward for what he brings to training but he will probably never break into the starting team.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football