All Ireland Quarter Final Kerry V Down

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: thewobbler on July 30, 2010, 10:31:35 PM
Indiana, so what you're saying is a 'tier one' team can lose 40% of it's starting line up and still be streets ahead of a division one side? This is a decent Kerry side with bags of experience and a few match winners, but no more than that.

You can be a div 1 side and still be tier 2. we've had years of practice.

downredblack

Quote from: All of a Sludden on July 30, 2010, 10:37:14 PM
thewobbler do you honestly think that Down will be within an asses roar of Kerry tomorrow? I am all for supporting the underdog, but I am expecting a very one sided game tomorrow. I am hoping the second game tomorrow will be a bit closer.

I was supporting Louth against Meath  , anything can happen on the day .

INDIANA

Quote from: downredblack on July 30, 2010, 10:41:32 PM
thewobbler do you honestly think that Down will be within an asses roar of Kerry tomorrow? I am all for supporting the underdog, but I am expecting a very one sided game tomorrow. I am hoping the second game tomorrow will be a bit closer.

2 tier 2 teams. point proven.

All of a Sludden

Indeed it can. I am not knocking Down, they have improved a lot under McCartan, but this is the worst possible draw for Down. Kerry are the best team in the country and should have way too much for Down tomorrow.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

thewobbler

Well I'll put it like this. Down gave Tyrone a footballing lesson like they've never got for 20 mins.

Tyrone turned the game on it's head by outthinking and outmuscling Down.

Kerry might be cute hoors, but without Galvin and O Se they don't have their heartbeat, their necessary cynical undercurrent. So if Down hit the ground running, who is going to drag Kerry back into it, kicking and screaming, until midfield is won? Seamus Scanlon? Aidan O Mahoney? Darran O Sullivan? Michael Quirke? Seriously, these are not players to worry about - but if they don't perform, Donaghy will need to hit the middle. Which would be great.

Don't get me wrong. Down could freeze and it could be a non-entity of a game. Star and Gooch could turn 6 possessions into game over by halftime. But neither of these things happen that often,

downredblack

Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2010, 10:44:29 PM
Quote from: downredblack on July 30, 2010, 10:41:32 PM

2 tier 2 teams. point proven.

Nothing proven bar the fact the underdog can have it's day .

INDIANA

Quote from: thewobbler on July 30, 2010, 10:47:51 PM
Well I'll put it like this. Down gave Tyrone a footballing lesson like they've never got for 20 mins.

Tyrone turned the game on it's head by outthinking and outmuscling Down.

Kerry might be cute hoors, but without Galvin and O Se they don't have their heartbeat, their necessary cynical undercurrent. So if Down hit the ground running, who is going to drag Kerry back into it, kicking and screaming, until midfield is won? Seamus Scanlon? Aidan O Mahoney? Darran O Sullivan? Michael Quirke? Seriously, these are not players to worry about - but if they don't perform, Donaghy will need to hit the middle. Which would be great.

Don't get me wrong. Down could freeze and it could be a non-entity of a game. Star and Gooch could turn 6 possessions into game over by halftime. But neither of these things happen that often,

nobody will have to drag kerry into anything. As I said Kerry are more up for this then you can imagine. This is the one thing they can do that no other Kerry team can.

crossfire

thewobbler

You base this on what Indiana?

Don't bring the last 5 years into this, when Kerry had 8 or 9 of the best players in the country playing for them.

They don't have that tomorrow.

And you know what, the only times during those 5 years Kerry met a team with a similar number of exceptional players - Tyrone - what happened? When the big guns cancelled each other out, kerry's peripherary players weren't good enough.

Tomorrow down only have 4 key players to stop before we find out how good the rest of them are. 4 ain't that many. It's not enough to win an all Ireland anyhow.

INDIANA

Quote from: thewobbler on July 30, 2010, 10:58:40 PM

Don't bring the last 5 years into this, when Kerry had 8 or 9 of the best players in the country playing for them.

And you know what, the only times during those 5 years Kerry met a team with a similar number of exceptional players - Tyrone - what happened? When the big guns cancelled each other out, kerry's peripherary players weren't good enough.

Tomorrow down only have 4 key players to stop before we find out how good the rest of them are. 4 ain't that many. It's not enough to win an all Ireland anyhow.

In Tyrone they met one of the best teams of the last 25 years. the Down team tomorrow wouldn't hold a candle to Tyrone. Completely different kettle of fish. This Down team have no tradition of winning in CP or winning anywhere else for that matter. Down are in year one of year five.
Kerry are the same as they always are.
the Aristocrats.

In the Onion Bag

I'm probably see this through red and black tinted glasses but tomorrow were have nothing to lose (apart from our very special, long standing and exclusive record from way way back, but that counts for shite all).

I will only be grateful to see a Down team on Croker turf v a great Ky team at the mouth of August. 

A Down win would be an unexpected bonus and dreamland really.  In truth we are shakin in our boots about emabssassing ourselves.

Hope its a good open and skillful game that might signal the re-entry of proper football and the begining of the end of vistories won by dour, ungifted but superfit men who have been trained how to gather in big bunches in order to smother an opponants.

5 Sams

Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2010, 11:08:07 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 30, 2010, 10:58:40 PM

In Tyrone they met one of the best teams of the last 25 years. the Down team tomorrow wouldn't hold a candle to Tyrone. Completely different kettle of fish. This Down team have no tradition of winning in CP or winning anywhere else for that matter. Down are in year one of year five.
Kerry are the same as they always are.
the Aristocrats.

Its not that long since Down beat that self same team in Newry...the AI champions..eventually...football's a wonderful game Indiana...thats why we travel in our droves to watch it...anything can happen...
The Aristocrat Years

All of a Sludden

Quote from: thewobbler on July 30, 2010, 10:47:51 PM

I thought games lasted for 70 minutes, who won that day?

thewobbler

Sludden, do you not understand context, or did you just not read past that line? If you're going to nitpick, do or right.

Indiana, you are showing yourself up to be a hypocrite here. Down can't win because of history, but Kerry can win because they're 'aristocrats'?

Down might be on year one of five, but this is a kerry team on the way down. Tomorrow we will find out just how far.

All of a Sludden

You seem to have the problem with context. Down may have outplayed Tyrone for the first 15/20 minutes, but Tyrone bate them off the field in the remaining 50 minutes. Down scored 2 points in the final 50 minutes, how is that for context? The final score flattered Down.