Sciatica

Started by omagh_gael, July 13, 2010, 11:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Was at the doctors last week and have been diagnosed with sciatica. For past two weeks I have been in agony all down my right buttock, hamstring, behind my knee and calf muscle and any time I stand up after sitting for more than a minute I get pins and needles down my right side from lower back to my big toe.

Was wondering if anybody here has experienced it or has any recommendations on easing the symptoms.

The pain hasn't been too bad since seeing the doctor as he has given me a pile of voltorol and co-codamol but dying to get back doing some exercise, however I don't want it flaring up again.

Orior

It's a pity you had not called the thread Back Problems, then I could have filled the page.

Voltorol is the dog's bollix.

I'd suggest plenty of swmming?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

omagh_gael

Think I might give the swimming a go alright, I'd imagine jogging or playing football would send it mad altogether.

ballela-angel

Been bothered with over it periodically over the years but not as bad as what you've experienced - For what it's worth this is how I have always successfully taken care of it - Stretching, by lying on the floor against something like an open doorway with my arse tight to the door jamb and my leg at right angles to the floor, vertically up the door jamb - It always hurt a lot at the back of my knee when first putting my leg in position, but the tighter I can get the back of my knee to the door jamb the better it eventually feels - I sometimes experienced the pain while driving and found that stopping and putting a magnetic pad into my waistband at my back for some reason always relieves the pain after a short time - Don't know why it worked but it does (On the subject of magnets, horse trainers in parts of the States use them in horse blankets to help horses recover from pain and stiffness quickly - Again I don't know how it works, but those folks are in the horse business for money and they know it works)
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

AbbeySider

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 13, 2010, 11:30:25 PM
Was at the doctors last week and have been diagnosed with sciatica. For past two weeks I have been in agony all down my right buttock, hamstring, behind my knee and calf muscle and any time I stand up after sitting for more than a minute I get pins and needles down my right side from lower back to my big toe.

Was wondering if anybody here has experienced it or has any recommendations on easing the symptoms.

I have or had those exact symptoms for the last year and a half. Some weeks im Ok and other days, especially after a game im in agony.

The key to easing the pain is flexibility.

This stretch by ballela-angel is a great one

Quote from: ballela-angel on July 14, 2010, 03:37:11 AM
...by lying on the floor against something like an open doorway with my arse tight to the door jamb and my leg at right angles to the floor, vertically up the door jamb
However you can use a towel to stretch your toes towards your body which will stretch you even further.
I normally dont use a door jamb I just use the towel stretch - with my leg in the air and straightened, putting the towel around the ball of my foot, under my toes and pulling them toward my body until you feel the stretch above your ass / in your hip.

You also need a lot of flexability in your calf, hamstring, arse/glute and lower back and it should ease.

For the record, this injury of mine has flared up again, despite my stretching. (I feel discomfort as we speak, sitting at my desk).

I went to physio last week when it flared up badly after a game and he diagnosed Piriformis Syndrome and another neural impingement in my back. Im going to a consultant who will hopefully send me for an MRI, on the physio's recommendation so we can find out if thats whats causing the Sciatica.

I found these stretches cleared up the symptoms too... especially the second one (repeated 20 times on a chair)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtUgS69rPk

omagh_gael

Cheers lads will give your suggestions a try over the next couple of weeks and if it doesn't improve I may see a physio and see what they say.

AbbeySider

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 14, 2010, 10:24:36 AM
Cheers lads will give your suggestions a try over the next couple of weeks and if it doesn't improve I may see a physio and see what they say.

OMG, will ya go to a physio straight away before it gets worse man.

Hedley Lamarr

Have a look at www.eamega.com and see the Bio-Energetic products.

I bought one of the bracelets about 18 months ago and it has greatly helped, I have started back playing golf again. 
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Hardy

I always understood sciatica was caused by disc pressure on the nerves in the back and that unless that's sorted out, everything else is just treating the pain.

omagh_gael

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 14, 2010, 11:34:54 AM

I know, I know! Only thing is there is a 3 month waiting list to see an NHS physio and having just got engaged at the week the old purse strings are a bit tight for the foreseeable future so that rules out regular sessionss with a private physio :(

delboy

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 14, 2010, 05:37:39 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on July 14, 2010, 11:34:54 AM

I know, I know! Only thing is there is a 3 month waiting list to see an NHS physio and having just got engaged at the week the old purse strings are a bit tight for the foreseeable future so that rules out regular sessionss with a private physio :(

This may seem like very obvious advice but if you feel it flaring up be sure and sit properly ie poker straight (most people myself included slouch when sitting) for at least a few days i've found this helps usually stops it flaring up too badly.
The old slouching is a hard habit to break and TBH i usally forget about not doing it until the sciatica flares up again.

omagh_gael

Yeah iv straightened up my car seat recently as the pain was always worst when driving, seems to have made a bit of a difference.

Tyrones own

Get one of these yokes... I have one on order and it's supposed to be the dogs balls by all accounts, I've tried just about everything else :(
http://www.amazon.com/Teeter-Hang-Ups-EP-550-Sport/dp/B001CHEVL4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1279126130&sr=8-5
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

omagh_gael

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 14, 2010, 08:09:43 PM
Get an appointment asap with Martin McCrory

http://www.omaghphysiotherapy.co.uk/

My doctor actually recommended him TYP will look into that shortly.

That machine looks like something you'd see in a DVD on the top shelf in some dodgy newsagent Tyrones Own :o

bennydorano

I was off work for 4 weeks a few years ago, slept on the floor with a duvet, f**king unbelievable pain.  Get to a physio asap, dont go near NHS physios, they'll see you for 10 minutes and send you home with an A4 page of exercises that you could download from the 'net, waste of time! 

My advice would be to pony up! get to a private physio 2 or 3 times a week, expensive but worth it in the long run.  Mine was worse than yours by the sounds of it (I ended up getting steroid injections into my spine) but you willl deteriorate unless you get it looked at.

I find the best exercise for sciatica is standing with your elbow side on to a wall pushing your hips in and out from the wall