The Official Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 13, 2010, 04:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Syferus on July 09, 2014, 02:28:59 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 09, 2014, 12:38:45 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 09, 2014, 02:32:53 AM
Surprised at just how much my American friends have gotten into soccer for the World Cup. My Facebook feed has been filled with WC-related stuff from them and it hasn't stopped just because the USA are out. Soccer is growing in the US but it the World Cup as an event has really took hold at a level that's surprising to me because outside of the World Cup soccer is still pushed deep into the sporting background and most of the Americans I know would hardly watch any games.

It probably helps that the World Cup is on when college sports, the NFL NBA, NHL and indeed every major US sport besides baseball are in their off-seasons.

The statement in bold is completely untrue. MLS league games are on TV all the time during the season and the average attendance at MLS games is on a par with Ligue 1 in France. Highlights in MLS games are reported in sports news summary bullitons in the same way that baseball and American football highlights are. I know this because I have watched them every night.
Nobody is claiming its bigger than baseball or American football but does it need to be as big as them for Americans to be considered "into" soccer ? Rugby is second to GAA and Soccer in Ireland. I'm sure you'd be a bit perplexed if someone expressed surprise that Irish people were "into" Rugby though ?

The USA is absolutely huge. It's the size of a continent in area and in population. Comparing raw numbes between France and the States is comparing apples and oranges.

Using your logic the average attendance at MLS games would have to rise to 90,000 before we can say that the comparison is fair  ::) 

Also, you are changing the argument. I never claimed that the huge WC viewing numbers are , somehow, a true reflection of the sports popularity. I was addressing your statement that the sport gets pushed deep into the background after the world cup. It does not. It is quite visible throughout the season. Both domestic and foreign games get plenty of coverage.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: AQMP on July 09, 2014, 09:16:10 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 09, 2014, 08:58:29 AM
Any one else feel that Brazil kind of got what was coming to them?

All the emotional crap before the games, the constant praying and posturing. In my mind they had completely lost the run of themselves and couldnt hack the occasion. The final straw was bringing out Neymar's jersey pre game, yes they want to show solidarity with their team mate but its not like he had died or that he even had a career threatening injury, they seem to have got so carried away with all that stuff and actually forgot to prepare mentally for the game.

Still difficult to decipher if Germany were just different class or that Brazil were just simply woeful, maybe a little of both me suspects.

Brazil were found out.  A distinctly average team.  One thing they might learn is that waving a shirt and shouting and blubbing during the anthem will not a World Cup win.  Even with Silva and Neymar they still would have been hammered.
shows how important Silva was to that Brazilian defence and he and Neymar should make it onto the team of the tournament.

deiseach

It's a vague concept, but I don't think soccer is part of the national conversation in the States in the way that rugby, despite its minority status and lack of geographical spread, is here in Ireland. Even someone who has never watched a lick of rugby would know who Brian O'Driscoll is. I would say there is no MLS player who is universally known solely on his status as an MLS player.

NAG1

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 09, 2014, 03:08:48 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 09, 2014, 09:16:10 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 09, 2014, 08:58:29 AM
Any one else feel that Brazil kind of got what was coming to them?

All the emotional crap before the games, the constant praying and posturing. In my mind they had completely lost the run of themselves and couldnt hack the occasion. The final straw was bringing out Neymar's jersey pre game, yes they want to show solidarity with their team mate but its not like he had died or that he even had a career threatening injury, they seem to have got so carried away with all that stuff and actually forgot to prepare mentally for the game.

Still difficult to decipher if Germany were just different class or that Brazil were just simply woeful, maybe a little of both me suspects.

Brazil were found out.  A distinctly average team.  One thing they might learn is that waving a shirt and shouting and blubbing during the anthem will not a World Cup win.  Even with Silva and Neymar they still would have been hammered.
shows how important Silva was to that Brazilian defence and he and Neymar should make it onto the team of the tournament.

Cant see how either would make it onto the team of the tournament, if Messi makes the final, he will take the 10 shirt and if not with Rodriguez likely to be top scorer he would be second choice IMO.

Plus you take then that Hummels/ Koscienly/ kompany and even Chaill would be ahead of Silva. Just because he missed out on a thrashing doesnt make him a great player at this tournament.

NAG1

Quote from: WT4E on July 09, 2014, 03:55:41 PM
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/castrol-index/index.html

At the moment Messi isn't in top 11!

Would have too much faith in those stats from FIFA sure they have the Swiss ranked in the top ten teams going into the world cup.

WT4E

Yeah but I wonder is it this Castrol index that determines the team or do they give it to a judging panel?

Wildweasel74

Knew Silva was good just didn't realise how good if he managed to hold that shambles together the past few years without been found out unless he missed out on a game. How bad are they, well Algeria had a chance to beat Germany and Ghana drew with them,w e see what the night match brings then decide on their greatness or not come sunday, still not convinced beating the worst Brazil team of all time

Armamike

Germany took full advantage as Brazil disintegrated.  Made it very easy for Germany and more of a case of Brazil being awful than Germany great imo.  Hard to know how this will affect Germany for the final - give them a massive confidence boost or a false sense of where they really are? 
That's just, like your opinion man.

AQMP

The World Cup reverts to type ::)

Holland look like they're playing for pens.

laoislad

Please let someone score,this is dreadful and extra time won't be any better.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AQMP

Quote from: laoislad on July 09, 2014, 10:36:16 PM
Please let someone score this is dreadful and extra time won't be any better.

I wouldn't even mind if Brazil scored at this stage

Walter Cronc

Took off their best player on the night. Enzo Perez for that donkey with the silly dreadlock.

AQMP

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 09, 2014, 10:41:41 PM
Took off their best player on the night. Enzo Perez for that donkey with the silly dreadlock.

Agreed thought Perez did well